The Vacillations Of Poppy Carew

The Vacillations Of Poppy Carew

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This lively and entertaining romp through England and Africa.

The Vacillations of Poppy Carew opens with two key events: the departure of Poppy’s thoroughly detestable lover, Edmund, for a richer woman, and the death of her father who, to the irritation of the nursing staff, dies in the midst of raucous laughter.

Poppy follows her father’s dying wish and organizes a “fun” f...more
Published March 1st 1995 by Black Swan (first published January 1st 1986)

Feb 27, 2007 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of modern British novels
I had never heard of Mary Wesley until I asked an Englishman if he had seen "The Vacillations of Poppy Carew" and he answered "no, but I read it". It was an adapatation of a novel! What good luck! And what a good find. Since then I have read most of her novels and they are all charming, insightful, touching, and quite often funny. They are not readily available in the U.S. but I did find many of them at the public library here in New York. I also managed to find a good batch of them at a used bo...more
Emi
Really liked it. Love how it ended with two characters I liked on first read.
Blaire
This was the 2nd time I read this book, but didn't remember it well and didn't think I'd done it justice the first time. I was right. It has Wesley's usual strong and quirky female characters and a plot this is nicely crafted and neatly resolved. I'm always suprised by Westley because for some reason I expect her books to be quaint (maybe it's the covers), and they're very contemporary.
ice
It was 1999, and I didn't know what chicklit was. I even didn't know wether 'chicklit' word did exist at that time. But today, I consider The Vacillations of Poppy Carew is a pretty chicklit.
At least, it entertained me and made me feel relaxed. I love how the story flows, and surprises me ..
Mary Wesley, the author, makes me keep reading ..
Sunny
I had expected something with more charm I guess. It's ok, but did not sweep me off my feet. Most annoying was how everyone knew each other or of each other... I know the uk is small, but hardly so small that strangers meeting each other invariably have tons of friends or parents friends in common. Made London feel like too cozy a village.
Vanessa
I found this book at the post office. Someone had put it there as a traveling book. At the time I was vacilating on a decision so I thought it was worth reading. It was a pretty good read and became a nice distraction from my indecisiveness. I left it at the same post office after reading to keep it traveling. :)
J
Mary Wesley's stories are populated by quirky personalities. Some you'll like and some you won't, but all of them you'll believe. I read Poppy Carew in a weekend maybe fifteen years ago and it's still a favorite of mine. Why? Because it made me laugh.
Nancy

I enjoyed this a lot. Funny and charming. A romance with brains. My only quibble would be the heroine who drifts along with whatever happens and constantly gets dragged off by the men in her life. She's not exactly a feminist role model.
Celia Powell
I generally like Mary Wesley's books - they're my snuggly, comfort reads. I think is probably my least favourite - so many of the characters were intensely irritating rather than the endearingly quirky that Wesley usually evokes. Disappointing.
Joelle Anthony
Wesley was an incredibly good writer, and always surprises. I loved so much about this book, but was a bit tired of it by the end. Just the last thirty pages or so. Still, amazing writer. I love some of her other books more, though.
sherdnerdess
A brilliant and quirky novel despite the early tragedy and constant peril. I'm slightly ashamed not to have read it before now especially as it has been on my physical shelf for well over a year.
carl  theaker

Good read, author was first published at age 70, mmm don't give up!
Read this for a Jung society book class on the knots of relationships,
so that's the subject matter.
Patricia
I'm stuck on Mary Wesley at the moment. Easy read but there are some worrying views about relationships between men and women.
Catherine Robertson
Mary Wesley is most certainly not all sweetness and light. That's what makes her wonderful
Maha
Odd. There's no other way to describe this book. I couldn't find a point to it.
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
D
D marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
  • The Men and the Girls
  • Harriet
  • Cold Shoulder Road
  • The Cat Who Came in from the Cold
  • Passing On
  • Linda Howard Collection #01: Midnight Rainbow/Diamond Bay
  • The Flight from the Enchanter
  • Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)
  • A Glass of Blessings
  • Trick or Treat (Corinna Chapman, #4)
  • Sleep it Off Lady: Stories by Jean Rhys
  • Human Voices
  • Keeping the World Away
  • The Wimbledon Poisoner
Mary Wesley, CBE (24 June 1912 – 30 December 2002) was a English novelist. She reportedly worked in MI5 during World War II.[citation needed]During her career, she became one of Britain's most successful novelists, selling three million copies of her books, including 10 best-sellers in the last 20 years of her life.

She wrote three children's books, Speaking Terms and The Sixth Seal (both 1969) and...more
More about Mary Wesley...
The Camomile Lawn Harnessing Peacocks A Sensible Life Part Of The Furniture Not That Sort of Girl