Start by marking “Owl at Home” as Want to Read:
Owl at Home

Owl at Home

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  5,102 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews
Relates five adventures of Owl, who lives alone and is awake during the night.
Published April 1st 1985 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1975)

Carmen
Nov 22, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Even though this book was published in 1975, it is still very beloved and a classic for children nowadays. I always read children this book and children continue to talk about and love this book. Not only was Lobel a great author, but his illustrations are on point.

Some people adore Frog and Toad Are Friends and the other Frog and Toad books - I agree. They are great. Some people love Mouse Soup. But for me, the best Lobel book will always be Owl At Home.

1.) The first story, THE GUEST, is about
Benjamin
Apr 25, 2012 Benjamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't be fooled by the cheery, bright-eyed owl merrily beaming at you on the cover. That candle is the only thing keeping our poor Owl from plunging into the darkness of his paranoid solitude.

I don't know why I find this so amusing (and seriously, it's one of the funniest books to read to your kids), but each of the five stories in this collection shows our protagonist suffering some level of dementia. And I'm not trying to put some sinister spin on this book unnecessarily. All of these stories
sj
Nov 25, 2011 sj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came to Owl at Home rather late in life. I had a friend when I was 15/16/17/18 that lived in a different state, she and I were constantly picking up owl things to send to each other.

I found this at a library sale one day and bought it for a quarter to include in the next package I sent her.

I read it when I got home, and - oh my. I never actually ended up putting it in the post.

Owl's Tear-water Tea was (and is) my favourite story in the book. It still appeals to me in a strangely wistful and me
Karen
Oct 19, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the past few weeks, my almost-five-year-old little boy has been having nightmares about owls. The only way he will go to sleep is if our youngest cat, Molly Kitten, will curl up on his bed with him. She will stay awake until my son falls asleep. We thought these nightmares were imaginary because neither my husband nor I had seen an owl... until one night. My husband was just putting my son back into bed and telling him there are no owls when he heard, "Whooooo. Whoooo." He looked out the win ...more
Rhea
More wonderful stories from Lobel.

My favorite of these was when Owl couldn't decide whether to stay upstairs or downstairs, and finally found a clever solution. I also remember Owl's tear-drop tea, especially because I cried along with Owl for those poor pencil stumps that are too short to use and those poor lost spoons no one ever finds and those beautiful sunrises no one will ever see. I was a very sentimental child.

But besides all that, it's always delightful to read about your own species ;)
BHodges
Jun 03, 2016 BHodges rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Owl at Home" is strikingly beautiful children's literature. A perfect combination of melancholy and humor. I haven't seen another children's author deal with the theme of loneliness the way Lobel can. (See also, the Frog and Toad story "Alone.") My three year old girl loves Owl. (The first two stories are just slightly too scary for her, but she let me read all the way through them the first time.)
JayLando
Mar 14, 2012 JayLando rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is honestly one of my favourite books.
It has been since I first learned to read.

It still makes me wish and think and laugh and cry.
Such a short book and a quick read but it makes me remember...

...to be silly.
...to be sweet.
...to be kind.

It is a template for who I am and how I will always be.
It is my "Goodbye Moon" ; especially at the end.
Kris Larson
This is the story of an owl who lives alone and has adventures that mostly happen in his own house. Basically it's the story of my life, right down to the part where he makes himself cry by imagining all kinds of sad things, then has some tea. Was Lobel lurking outside my window? Because that's pretty much my average evening.

Jokes aside, this book is DELIGHTFUL. I would recommend it to any kid or adult, especially those who understand that the best adventures happen at home while wearing comfor
Michael Hitchcock
Racie
Jun 04, 2013 Racie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best children's books that we own and not one that I read as a child. Dan's cousin sent it to us because her little boy loves it so much. "Owl at Home" is an episodic story that follows Owl through a series of adventures in his own home. He is the sort of children's book protagonist who is at once an adult and a child. He has a naive understanding of the world and works through problems in a way that lets children intuit the solution even as Owl fails to learn the lesson. He is scared ...more
ErinBeth
Nov 18, 2014 ErinBeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book while shopping for presents for my nephew, and although i think he is still a little young for it (he's only 3), I couldn't resist getting it for him anyway. I think it'd probably be better for children about 5 or 6 though.
It's actually 5 little stories in one book, all of them about an eccentric owl who sees the world in a slightly different way than most people. For instance, instead of shutting out the cold and snow, he decides to be friendly and let winter come into h
Katie Hilton
Aug 18, 2014 Katie Hilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at a yard sale this summer with a bunch of other children's books. I never read it as a child but owls have always appealed to me and when I saw this guy on the cover with a book and PJs I was sold!

I was amazed at how simple and adorable the stories were but they were quite dark as well. Each story touched on struggles that many adults have--the grass is always greener, and being overwhelmed thinking sad thoughts to name a few.

But owl always seems to begin each story with a smile
Joan
Purchased as a gift. I was given this thirty years ago and have read it to children from three years old to sixteen. Beautiful stories with a wonderfully amusing (yet also in some ways very sad) Owl in his home. I particularly love 'Tear Water Tea' and of course the fabulous 'Strange Bumps'

I also have a copy of the same author's book 'Frog and Toad'. Again, a wonderful book.
Estefanía
Nov 11, 2016 Estefanía rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro muy tierno, con un personaje único, inocente y memorable que invita al invierno a entrar en su casa para que no pase frío, que está asustado por esos bultos extraños en su cama que se mueven al mismo tiempo que sus pies, que hace té de lágrimas y que se volvió el mejor amigo de la luna. Definitivamente, Lobel nunca decepciona.
Nilsson
Apr 19, 2015 Nilsson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-shelf
Captivating tales to be read again and again! They have valuable, life long lessons. I think about them on many occasions, and I'd recommend this book to anyone. I'd really like to read it again, but thanks to my brothers, the pages are scattered to the four winds.
Black★Star
Apr 05, 2014 Black★Star rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story about the "lumps" in Owl's bed that moved when he moved? Scared the shit out of me.
Josiah
Feb 16, 2016 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A treasure, indeed, are Arnold Lobel's stories, a library of fine literature that could keep one occupied for much longer than the time required just to read them all. Like the Frog and Toad series, Owl at Home is a book of vignettes that mean more than their surface humor indicates, though they're also enjoyable purely as episodic jaunts into the everyday life of Owl, who resides by himself in his house in the woods and partakes in comedic adventures usually resulting from his own appealingly ...more
Alison
Jan 18, 2017 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Owl at Home I got really into Arnold Lobel last year and Owl at Home fits right in with the rest of his early reader books.

Owl and Toad would either be best friends or mortal enemies, don't you think? I love them both and want to drink tear-water tea with them.
Jess Doyle
Jan 18, 2017 Jess Doyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is interesting and I liked how it had different chapters and they were all different stories. I think it is a good children's book because it is still s picture book and at a lower reading level, but it is also like a chapter book and has 5 different entertaining stories in it.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime October 26th and 27th
Theme: Spooky Stories

Ms. Laura: I always read the chapter called "Strange Bumps" to the kids when we talk about being afraid at night. Owl's epic battle with his fear of the bumps (his feet) is hilarious! The kids were giggling a lot.
Samantha
Nov 09, 2016 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-s, childrens
We have enjoyed Frog and Toad for awhile and these are also delightful story full of humor! Owls bumps in bed had us laughing out loud.
Hilly Thompson
Nov 12, 2016 Hilly Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shivanee Ramlochan
Excerpted from a Charting Children's Literature post:

I first opened these pages when I was less than five.

Owl At Home is an offering of five short tales in the life of Owl, an affable, thoughtful gentle-bird who seems to delight in his own company, as well as in exploring the world around him. In “The Guest”, Owl learns that some visitors simply won’t adhere to expected protocol, when he invites Winter past his threshold on a particularly chilly night. “Strange Bumps” tells the story of Owl’s fe
Nichole
Once of my favorites from my childhood and I was so happy for my son to read it this year as part of our homeschool curriculum.
Amy Herrick
Jul 10, 2015 Amy Herrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book:
Easy Reader; Fiction

Estimate of age level of interest:
Grades K-3

Estimate of reading level:
Grade 2

Brief description:
In each of this book’s five chapters, Owl’s everyday experiences are turned into entertaining, brief adventures. When an unexpected guest knocks on the door, Owl lets in a winter storm; when he goes for a walk in the evening, Moon follows him home and Owl befriends him. Owl is warm, kind and inviting, with a little hint of lon
Penny Cline
Nov 10, 2016 Penny Cline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second review below this one is very clever, and made me smile. In a way Benjamin's diagnosis of Owl seems correct, but I think he must have written it with his tongue firmly in his cheek.

For me the stories seem to work as a way to show young children - most of whom are bound to encounter situations they find disturbing from time to time - that Owl is one step behind them in understanding the world around him and that there are simple explanations for some of the things he finds frightening,
Madie Marie
Mar 15, 2016 Madie Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-to-read
Easy- to- read book number 2: This book is filled with five short stories that are all about a little owl. The first one the owl hears knocking on his door. He realizes it is winter and lets it in but winter is a rude guest so owl makes winter leave. The second one is about the owl laying in bed and seeing two bumps at the bottom of the bed. However, the owl does not realize that the bumps are his own feet. The third story is of the owl thinking of sad things so he can cry and fill his tea kettl ...more
Christina Taylor
Aug 03, 2012 Christina Taylor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Owl at Home is one of Harper & Row’s many titles in the I Can Read! series. The inside cover explains the series’ system for promoting independent reading in young children, and the title page is followed by a table of contents that enumerates the book’s chapters. Young children will enjoy the protagonists’ childlike innocence in this episodic narrative of loosely connected adventures in which he demonstrates his faulty understanding of physics by welcoming winter as a house guest, becoming ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 21, 2009 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for Reading: My son read this aloud to me.

Comments: I'm very familiar with this book but had never actually read it before! This contains four chapters, each its own individual story. Owl, himself, is not the brightest bulb in the package and while very polite and considerate he ends up in the silliest situations because of his own misunderstandings. Three of the stories follow this theme, while the third is a simple tale that shows his simple ways of making tea.

Owl is a dear you can't he
Trinity Episcopal...: Owl at Home 1 3 Aug 29, 2013 02:30PM
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon
  • The Beginner's Bible: Timeless Children's Stories
  • A Big Ball of String
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...

“Owl felt happy as he filled his cup. It tastes a little bit salty, he said, but tear-drop tea is always very good.” 3 likes