Start by marking “Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion #2)” as Want to Read:
Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion #2)

Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion #2)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  968 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
For a century, the Americans and Soviets had maintained an uneasy alliance based on the CoDominium, a world order in which no other power or combination of powers could threaten their mutual hegemony. Thus did the Americans and Russians learn to live at peace with each other.

But nothing lasts forever, the CoDominium's energies are nearly spent, and internal conflicts are r
Published March 1st 1989 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Prince of Mercenaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince of Mercenaries

Annette
Jun 19, 2014 Annette rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Meh. While I would never call Pournell a bad writer, as a solo author his weaknesses in character development are striking. The story in "Prince of Mercenaries" is nevertheless fairly well told and his characters are not So wooden as to prevent you from caring.
Also, 'though we do spend a little time on Earth in one of the sub-stories, unlike the volumes both before and after this one, there is little of the background on the political system of the CoDominion or anything else. In some ways it m
Andrew
Mar 17, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it
This book falls in to the sub genre of military science fiction - along with Dorsai and Hammers Slammers - you have writers who have experienced actual military service and in some cases even military actions and have used their experiences to write science fiction. In the case of Falkenberg Legions you are looking at a military solution to another genre main stay - the fall of civilisation or in this case the fall of Earth (seen as the heart of the empire).
What I enjoyed about this book is the
Robert Dunlap
Feb 19, 2016 Robert Dunlap rated it really liked it
Not that I'm any military expert. This book, however, sent me to Wikipedia to look Pournelle up and figure out just what he's made of. It was too good to be amateur, and my intuition was right: Jerry Pournelle is the real deal, with deep understandings of history, tactics, strategy, and psychology.

At least he is from my layman's perspective.

This is what happens when a PhD gets some imagination, applies it, and runs with it. It just works.
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it liked it

For a century the Americans and Soviets had maintained an uneasy alliance based on a new world order. But the CoDominium is decaying, and the future belongs to colony worlds like Sparta--if they can survive Earth's death-throes. To do that they will need men who understand war, men like mercenary commander John Christian Falkenberg, and Lysander, Prince of Sparta--the first Prince of Mercenaries.

Scott
May 20, 2016 Scott rated it really liked it
This is a good installment in the series. As a stand-alone book, it's just good. But it moves the grand story along while hinting at the big picture, adds new good characters, and fleshes out existing strong characters. I'm ready to move on to book 3. Good writing and story telling. (I recommend people read this series in the form of the compilation called The Prince, for completeness. Some material seems to have been added.)
John Schneider
Aug 28, 2011 John Schneider rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A solid and entertaining novel, this science fiction tale is both plausible and clever. Perhaps most surprisingly to me, this book made the characters feel more real and interesting than the epic military history that the book chronicles. It is not a five star book because nothing in it ever becomes truly great. Like the mercenaries of Falkenberg's Legion though, the writing in this book is so consistently good that it achieves its end without waste.
Tim
Feb 25, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it
Older science fiction that revolves around a mercenary company in the future. Pournelle is excellent as he lays out a setting that features hard science fiction and a future of colonization on planets. Like many in this genre, he focuses on the troubles inherent in a colony system based on penal relocation, indentured servitude and maintaining control over distant systems. The Co-Dominium is an excellent concept.
Scythan
Jun 10, 2011 Scythan rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Not my kind of book. Life on other planets is much too earthlike (animals that seem to be a cross between a moose and a mule, sea creatures similar to loch ness monster, flowers, green jungles...) and thus unbelievable. Am I too strict?
Oliver Anderson
Nov 06, 2014 Oliver Anderson rated it it was amazing
Great book.

The book order on goodreads is not correct from what I can tell.
Ármin Scipiades
Jan 23, 2015 Ármin Scipiades rated it it was ok
Oh boy, I love this world. The novel itself is mediocre at best, the writing is as clumsy as I expected from Pournelle, but boy, I love the world of the Co-Dominium so very much.
Jonathan
Nov 19, 2010 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
If I read this again I may be unimpressed by the prose and the setup, but it is one of my favorite military science fiction novels
Jonathan
May 01, 2008 Jonathan rated it really liked it
I don't know why I liked this book so much...it is quick, easy, short, and simple but for some reason the story always sticks in my head.
Jack
Apr 22, 2011 Jack rated it really liked it
A little slow to develop but good story - very detailed - good character development - -will read the other books in the series.
Peter
May 05, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it
Excellent Military SF - the Co-Dominion books are still some of the best in their sub-genre - the series is best read in order
Gordon
May 09, 2012 Gordon rated it really liked it
well written and entertaining
Lynn Calvin
baen ebook
John M
John M marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Joker2016
Joker2016 rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
MikeMangum
MikeMangum rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
ladynka
ladynka rated it it was ok
May 20, 2016
Stephen Brewster
Stephen Brewster rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Gonzo
Gonzo marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Steven Werber
Steven Werber marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Gregory Small
Gregory Small rated it liked it
May 10, 2016
Caleb
Caleb marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Jared Lehmann
Jared Lehmann rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Alexander Moore
Alexander Moore rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Gregor Kobelkoff
Gregor Kobelkoff rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
  • Rolling Hot (Hammer's Slammers #4)
  • The Forge (The General, #1)
  • Oath of Fealty
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • Soldier, Ask Not (Childe Cycle, #3)
  • Starstrike
  • Bolo
Dr Jerry Eugene Pournelle is an American science fiction writer, engineer, essayist, and journalist, who contributed for many years to the computer magazine Byte, and has since 1998 been maintaining his own website and blog.

From the beginning, Pournelle's work has centred around strong military themes. Several books describe the fictional mercenary infantry force known as Falkenberg's Legion. Ther
More about Jerry Pournelle...

Falkenberg's Legion (7 books)
  • The Mercenary
  • West Of Honor
  • Future History (Moties 0.5, Falkenberg's Legion, #a-b)
  • Falkenberg's Legion (Falkenberg's Legion #1)
  • Go Tell the Spartans (Falkenberg's Legion #3)
  • Prince of Sparta (Falkenberg's Legion #4)