Start by marking “The Cat In The Hat Dictionary” as Want to Read:
The Cat In The Hat Dictionary

The Cat In The Hat Dictionary

Containing over 1000 everyday words arranged in alphabetical order, The Cat in the Hat Dictionary takes a typically Seussian approach, with a host of crazy animals and potty people doing some of the strangest things - from crocodiles nursing babies and goats playing horns to dogs eating noodles and bears playing marbles. None the less, the book has a serious purpose in tha ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat In The Hat Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat In The Hat Dictionary

Are You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanThe Best Nest by P.D. EastmanThe Cat in the Hat Beginner Book Dictionary by P.D. EastmanFlap Your Wings by P.D. Eastman
Best of P.D. Eastman
8th out of 37 books — 3 voters
My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisCulloo by Murielle CyrFern Valley by Aileen StewartAn Elephant Is On My House by O.D.D. CummingsDoc Tails by Othen Donald Dale Cummings
Children's Books
145th out of 241 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Ryan Fugitt
Eastman, P. D. (Philip D.), & Seuss. (1966). The Cat in the Hat beginner book dictionary in Spanish. United States of America: Beginner Bks.

Citation by: Ryan Fugitt

Type of Reference: Dictionary

Call Number: Ref 463

Content/Scope: A dictionary targeted for students in kindergarten and above. This dictionary is in Spanish and written using the famous Dr. Seuss character The Cat in the Hat.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: Dr. Seuss is a world famous writer/illustrator and his The Cat in the Hat beginne
Dec 14, 2010 Preston rated it it was amazing
Hoang Shin
This is a really fun beginner's dictionary for young readers and writers. It uses classic Dr. Seuss images to give examples of how words can be used in sentences. It also helps that each word has an image to support word comprehension. I would include this in my classroom library as a resource for learning new words.
Rania Ajjan El Hadid
Mar 09, 2014 Rania Ajjan El Hadid rated it it was amazing
Great book for teaching children new words. Dr. Seuss has a knack for making learning for young children fun.
Kevin Hull
Feb 20, 2015 Kevin Hull rated it liked it
Educational but not all that entertaining.
Ashley Zuniga
Jun 16, 2015 Ashley Zuniga rated it liked it
A picture dictionary. Some of the words feature sentences that use the word being defined as a way of further attaching meaning to it, but I don't like it when books use the word being defined in the definition of itself. It's confusing and doesn't achieve its purpose.

While this isn't a book a child would use as a reference source, it can be a useful book for expanding basic vocabulary.
Jul 17, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I have an old edition of this from childhood, and my 2-year-old now loves it. She likes to read a couple of sections before naptime and bedtime, and enjoys picking out different letters each time. I like the way it is designed with lots of basic early reader words and simple illustrations on each page. I do think that it is really helping her to start to make steps toward reading.
Jan 06, 2012 Tayo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Que pasa? Me gusta este libro mucho! Espanol es el idioma del mundo,personas! Tu no piensas que puedo hablar espanol, si? Realmente? Con el libro puedo escribir y solo los personas que hablan espanol van a comprender, estas triste? Entoces... vas a leer el dictionario de Dr.Suess! Adios!
Oct 26, 2012 Darren rated it really liked it
It's a decent enough first reader dictionary, but the only thing to really set it apart from otherof the same is that it's a Dr.Seuss. The problem is that Seuss didn't draw it, and so for me it's just not worth owning.
Nov 25, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent learning guide for young toddlers!
Read my full review at
Aug 23, 2010 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
I can remember reading this and looking through the pages so many times. I would still recognize many of the pictures!
Organized by English alphabetically, this dictionary gives an example of the word use in a complete sentence.
This book is pretty useful and (more importantly fun) for a beginner-intermediate learner.
Joel Manuel
Aug 22, 2013 Joel Manuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this a hundred times when I was a kid, and I'm going to buy a new copy for my son.
Nov 09, 2007 Tish rated it it was amazing
brilliant! This is great for learning words
Tool a Magazine
Jan 31, 2009 Tool a Magazine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book never gets old! 1500 stars.
Apr 09, 2010 Arionne rated it really liked it
Did not read yet
Sep 13, 2012 Skyla rated it it was amazing
Hillary rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Sophie rated it did not like it
Oct 18, 2016
Anijah rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
Joe D M-H
Joe D M-H rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Alaya marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Lisa Elrod
Lisa Elrod rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Paris El-Amin
Paris El-Amin marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Mildred Geminiano
Mildred Geminiano marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Shelia f impson
Shelia f impson rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
  • The Cat in the Hat Songbook: 50th Anniversary Edition
  • The Big Honey Hunt
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Oh, the Places He Went: A Story about Dr. Seuss
Philip Dey "Phil" Eastman was an American screenwriter, children's author, and illustrator. As an author, he is known primarily as P. D. Eastman. A protégé of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Eastman wrote many books for children, in his own distinct style under the Dr. Seuss brand of Random House, many of which were in the Beginner Books series.

From 1936 to 1941, Eastman worked at the story departmen
More about P.D. Eastman...