Start by marking “Das Düstere Dorf (Eine Reihe betrüblicher Ereignisse, #7)” as Want to Read:
Das Düstere Dorf (Eine Reihe betrüblicher Ereignisse, #7)

Das Düstere Dorf (A Series of Unfortunate Events #7)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  83,330 Ratings  ·  1,340 Reviews
Lieber Leser,

sicher hast du dieses Buch versehentlich in die Hand genommen. Leg es also bitte gleich wieder weg. Niemand, der bei klarem Verstand ist, würde freiwillig lesen wollen, was Violet, Sunny und Klaus Baudelaire während ihres Aufenthalts im Dorf F.F. alles widerfährt. Sei versichert, es ist nichts Gutes.

Ich kann mir keinen einzigen Grund vorstellen, warum jemand d
Published August 1st 2005 by Manhattan (first published April 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Das Düstere Dorf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Düstere Dorf

Richard Denney
Apr 17, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!

I see what everyone is saying now. It most definitely picks up on book 7 100 fucking percent!
I am so enveloped in this world and in the Baudelaire's lives that I physically get angry and curse at the characters when something doesn't work out or Olaf gets his way. And that ending? I'm glad it's taking a different route and shying away from the guardian to guardian borefest it was beginning to become. I'm excited to see what happens in The Hostile Hospital and finally get some answers on
Drew
Oct 26, 2012 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here at the halfway point of the series, the author is finally dropping more hints and clues about what seems to be a rather large conspiracy against the Baudelaire orphans, the Quagmire orphans, and I gather orphans everywhere who have large fortunes to be acquired.

The search for the Quagmire triplets in The Ersatz Elevator ended with a literal red herring, but The Vile Village is almost entirely red herring, as the children are sent to become the wards of a village known only by the mysteriou
John Velo
May 18, 2016 John Velo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listenedto

Seventh book already and the plot of this one doesn't really differ much from its predecessors. And I'm getting a bit tired of it... And I am so frustrated about the adult's logic in this world! The same thing happens over and over, yet no one believes the Baudeliere children.

I feel like the readers haven't been given answers to the bigger mysteries of this series. Although, Lemony Snicket is slowly dropping hints and facts of a bigger overall series storyline here, sometimes, I still
Mark Lawrence
The Vile Village is where the whole VFD thing really starts to take off and the original formula of a new guardian followed by Olaaf turning up in a new disguise starts fraying.

The village is quite fun, replete with dozens of vile villagers, hundreds of ridiculous rules, and thousands upon thousands of crows.

The off-beat humour continues with Sunny's one worders and their elaborate translation, and the extreme stupidity of everyone who isn't a Baudelaire.

The penalty for breaking almost any villa
Casey
Jan 20, 2010 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Well, I'm more than halfway through now! And it's pretty crazy how little I actually know about the overarching mystery of the series.

I loved the absurdity of V.F.D., the Elders who wore crow hats, the thousands of pointless rules, burning people at the stake, the constant migration of the crows. Watch as mob mentality seizes the villagers and you find yourself reading bizarre chants like, (view spoiler) Grab your torches and pitchforks, folk
Nicholas Karpuk
Feb 25, 2011 Nicholas Karpuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I had to draw a line in the sand with the Snicket books between overly formulaic but funny, and genuinely well put together, I'd put it within the first few chapters of The Vile Village.

There's a few things absent from this read through, most of them positive. He isn't constantly reiterating the three children's skills in a "this is for Violet, this is for Klaus, this is for Sunny" sort of rhythm. There guardian is slightly more relatable, and altogether decent guy who gets severely skittish
Matthew
Jul 17, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The seventh book in this upsetting series. It is yet another tale of how the Baudelaire children are a well placed razor away from death. The scoundrel Count Olaf is up to his old tricks. How he is able to baffle entire crowds of people with his guile, which in this case refers to his uncanny ability to fool adults. Luckily Violet, Klaus and Sunny are sharp children and are using their individual talents to stay alive.

Thanks to the heroic and mysterious efforts of Lemony Snicket it seems that th
Miss Bookiverse
"It takes a village to raise a child"? Gosh, I love that the author takes everything so literally and actually allows a whole village to be the new legal guardian for the Baudelaire orphans.

What's really bugging me is this slow dribble of information. Who was Jaque Snicket? What does Beatrice have to do with everything? I never would've thought there was such a mysterious storyline behind these books, one that weaves through the whole series. I'm so curious about the final solution.
Mel
Reread. I remember this being a favourite but not anymore.
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
At A Glance

Genre:
Young Adult; Mystery
Love Triangle/Insta Love/Obsession?: nope.
Cliff Hanger: eh.

Total: 8

In Dept

Best Part:
The village rules!
Worst Part: A bit slow paced.
Thoughts Had: how many rules?!; you're kidding!; there they are!!!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes

Short Review: easily one of my favorite of this series. these "rules" the vil
Marnie  Krüger
Dec 20, 2015 Marnie Krüger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This guy has an amazing imagination!
Sheida
Nov 17, 2015 Sheida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the previous books in the series but still a fun read. I really liked the ending and I'm looking forward to what the rest of the journey will bring (I hardly remember anything, lol).
Nadine
Apr 11, 2016 Nadine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It was a curious feeling, that something could be so close and so distant at the same time."

Another unfortunate event that adds more questions than answers. Usually this frustrates me, but I'm really enjoying the very small hints at the bigger picture. On to the next adventure!!

Full series review: https://todaysechos.wordpress.com/201...
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 Kat Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Penny Raspenny
Mar 02, 2012 Penny Raspenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I liked it very much!

The images that kept crawling into my mind with all those ravens flying together at sunset and dawn were soooo beautiful! And the riddle with the poems was very challenging! When they got the last note I was like
description
"I KNOW WHERE THE QUAGMIRE TRIPLETS ARE"
And the opportunity for the Baudelaires to practice their talents in that huge library and inventing studio was superb! And the trick in the cell was so inspired! And the plan to save Zack!

But

description

I need answers. What the hell is
Thomas
Aug 15, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, continuing my re-read through of the series here (I started with Book 4 for some reason).

Knowing what's coming in The End I've been on the look out for anti-religious or secular-humanist themes, and I think I find the first hint of it in this, Book 7, the centerpiece of the series. And if you know me, you know what a big fan I am of organized religion so we'll see what my opinion is of this series when we're done with the re-read. But I'm a tolerant fellow, and I like good art as such. Bei
April Sarah
Feb 03, 2016 April Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I do feel like the series is getting better. There is more to each story (which is probably why they are getting longer). The characters are starting to get more varying now as well which is nice. Instead of completely incompetent adults, you have a range. Some of them are even only mildly incompetent.
Lis
Aug 21, 2014 Lis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
No sólo cada vez son mejores, sino que estos libros se ponen más adictivos a medida que los leo.

Estoy impaciente por que los chicos resuelvan el misterio y, sobre todo, ¡salven a los Quagmire!
Denny Patterson
These poor kids can't catch a break!
Katie
Jun 23, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this one is my favorite so far. Things are starting to come together and I'm excited to get to the next one now :)
Marylou
"The Baudelaire orphans, at the time this story begins, were certainly wishing that they weren't reading the newspaper that was in front of their eyes."
The saga of the unfortunate Baudelaire orphans continues. Oh these children make me so sad indeed. I think their adventure in the 'Vile Village' was the saddest one yet. However, in this book we get a hint of a bigger story and I am very curious on how the story will continue!

It takes a village to raise a child, goes the saying in the village
Alex
Jul 28, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, kid-lit
Part of the Great ASOUE Re-Read of 2015.

I have misjudged this book for a good portion of my life.

The Vile Village, as a child, was not one of my favourites in ASOUE. I think it was just that the setting freaked me out too much, although I think that's one of the strengths. Here, we have perhaps the most ludicrous "guardian" the Baudelaires will ever have, an entire village of bird people. (Not that they are people who are also birds, but they are all extremely into birds that they might as well
Jbb Lim
May 14, 2015 Jbb Lim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHOA!!! This is madness! Of all the books I've read in the Unfortunate events, this is DA BOMB! It has something to do with runaway, dangerous plots to get out of the village, excellent disguise by Esmé and more. This book has the adrenaline going and I think it's one of my favourite among the other books. I'm not sure about the subsequent ones.

The Baudelaires once again was brought into this village full of old folks and rules, whoever breaks it, the ultimate punishment is to be burnt at the st
Ian
Feb 23, 2014 Ian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Christina Taylor
Aug 03, 2012 Christina Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The Vile Village is the seventh book in Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events. Like its predecessors, this is a metafictive modern fantasy in which the narrator--and supposed author--is not only conscious of his audience as evidenced by his speaking directly to the reader, but also plays with his language as telegraphed by the book’s alliterative title. Snicket peppers this recount of the Baudelaires’ misadventures with allusions, adages, word play, and interstitials a la William Goldm ...more
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
A smart and funny series about three orphans and their terrible lives.

Vocabulary children will learn in this book: vile, punctilio, notorious, assortment, skittish, aphorism, paltry, horizon, distortion, mirage, desolate, scuffling, windswept, morrow, nevermore, roosting, rustle, superlative, orthodontist, fowl, devotee, nefarious, ordeal, self-sustaining, tedious, quizzically, gargantuan, literary, pester, ornithological, dismay, hedge clippers, strenuous, intimidated, pandemonium, kindling, pe
Katherine
Dec 30, 2011 Katherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, awful
*DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS*

this series never gets any futher - you still dont know 100% what VFD stands for, how olaf knew their parents, who killed their parents (although it obvisous its olaf, they still gavnt confirmed it) you dont know what the 'sugar bowl' is and snicket just keep dragging each book on and on. The one thing i hate about these books is when snicket says a word and then sits there for 2 pages talking about what the word means :S what the hell????

This book was incredibly boring a
Eliška (Elise Jey)
4,5*
Tenhle díl se mi obzvlášť líbil a spoustu mi toho dal. Četla jsem ho i za chůze, i když mi u toho mrzly prsty, ale bylo to tak napínavé, že jsem nemohla přestat. Série Řada nešťastných příhod čítá sice jedny z nejdepresivnějších knih vůbec, ale pokud bych dětem měla něco doporučit, byl by to Harry Potter a hned v závěsu tato série.
Maryam AlNasser
Mar 29, 2015 Maryam AlNasser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
i thought these would get repetitive and boring after the fourth or fifth one, or i would simply get bored. but no, they get more funny and witty and clever as you read on. i'm loving this.
The Nooks of Books: The Vile Village 1 3 Jan 28, 2015 03:50AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 3 Nov 08, 2014 07:52AM
This is where it gets good! 5 49 Oct 30, 2014 11:43AM
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
  • The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)
  • The Winter Knights (Edge Chronicles, #8)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)
  • Clarice Bean Spells Trouble
  • The Fugitive Factor (On The Run, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Island of the Aunts
  • The Nervous System
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, #2)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“It is true, of course, that there is no way of knowing for sure whether or not you can trust someone, for the simple reason that circumstances change all of the time. You might know someone for several years, for instance, and trust him completely as your friend, but circumstances could change and he could become very hungry, and before you knew it you could be boiling in a soup pot, because there is no way of knowing for sure.” 45 likes
“Normally I don't approve of children staying up late,' he said finally, 'unless they are reading a very good book, seeing a wonderful movie, or attending a dinner party with fascinating guests.” 34 likes