Start by marking “Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)” as Want to Read:
Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)

Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  144 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A legend in her own time both for her brilliant poetry and for her resistance to oppression, Anna Akhmatova denounced by the Soviet regime for her eroticism, mysticism, and political indifference is one of the greatest Russian poets of the twentieth century.

Before the revolution, Akhmatova was a wildly popular young poet who lived a bohemian life. She was one of the leader
Published May 16th 2006 by Everyman's Library (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Anna Akhmatova, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna Akhmatova

William1
Mar 20, 2013 William1 rated it really liked it
D.M. Thomas's translations are surprisingly lyrical. There is the sense, so deftly is the prosody handled, that some of these were written in English. One is filled with awe at times. How can these poems be so mesmerizingly lyrical? It's the earlier poems I prefer to the later serious ones, which tend to be be a slog. I think this volume, which contains the stirring "Requiem," is an excellent place for those curious about Akhmatova's poetry to start. Highly recommended.
Artfulreader
May 31, 2016 Artfulreader rated it really liked it
Akhmatova's poetry conjures up beautiful pictures in my head; sepia-tinged and full of feeling. Will read more of her.
Lizzie
Haunting and cold and devastating. "I was gay, and bold, and wicked/And never knew I was happy" (pg. 51).

It's been over a month since I finished this collection, and what remains most strongly are the moments of intense emotion, captured and preserved in one or two line images: "And street bonfires blazing red/Like roses in snow are flowering" (p. 67). Akhmatova's life was hard, beyond my experience, and I feel it when she cries, "There is a frontier-line in human closeness/That love and passion
Rebecca
Feb 10, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Some excerpts for your pleasure:
"The mignonette smells of water,
Apple-tang clings to love,
But we were always taught that
Blood smells only of blood."

"Some gaze into tender faces,
Others drink until morning light,
But all night I hold conversations
With my conscience who is always right."

"The pillow hot
On both sides,
The second candle
Dying, the ravens
Crying. Haven't
Slept all night, too late
To dream of sleep...
How unbearably white
The blind on the white window.
Good morning, morning!"

I think I preferred
K.m.
Feb 03, 2016 K.m. rated it it was amazing
Speaking as one of a generation of people living under the weight of the fear, violence, loss and want of two world wars and part of a generation of artists and thinkers oppressed, imprisoned, arrested, exiled, censored and executed by their government, Akhmatova's words are weighty. She grieves and remembers and prays in verse. Writing circumspectly (sometimes), to dodge censorship, Akhmatova's personal tragedies speak more broadly. The translator's commentary was helpful, and thankfully separa ...more
Hala
Nov 23, 2014 Hala rated it it was amazing
She is out of the world.. Loved it
Rob
Mar 05, 2014 Rob rated it it was amazing
Such a great poet. Loved this book very much.
Jules
Apr 04, 2016 Jules rated it really liked it
Akhmatova's voice cries out from her poems. In "Requiem" we can feel her pain of waiting, the existential lines, the brutality of Stalin's Russia. Her earlier work is equally elegiac, in "By the Seashore" for instance. There is a mastery and command of voice in this, authenticity, anguish and sadness that cannot seem to be lifted from out the shadow of her work.
Ariadna73
May 20, 2013 Ariadna73 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
So beautiful and sad! The poem I liked the most was that about the women that are waiting in line in front of a prison, wanting to see their husbands, sons, brothers, who are incarcerated for various reasons related to war. The beauty of the images and the sadness of the feelings brought tears to my eyes.
Nancy
Mar 24, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 800-poetry
So depressingly beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I couldn't help but look up the history on her life. So beautiful. I wish I could read it in the original language though, although the translation was beautiful. Did I say it was beautiful?
Matt Woodle
Jun 26, 2008 Matt Woodle rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Akhmatova made me believe in the beauty of poetry. She also made me believe that you could write an entire story, an entire universe even, in about fourteen words or less. She's brilliant!
Kathy
Mar 01, 2016 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: bingo-2016
Lovely translation
Nick Black
May 12, 2011 Nick Black marked it as embarrassed-not-to-have-read
Recommended to Nick by: Jur
Shelves: to-acquire
love Akhmatova in the scattered fragments i've stumbled upon. this will, i think, be my Poetry Volume for the Year 2011.
Irwan
Oct 19, 2012 Irwan rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, 2012
This little book of compilation gives a broad sweeping take of Akhmatova's work. I like it. Would love to read more of hers.
Alleytia Bennett
Jan 08, 2015 Alleytia Bennett rated it it was amazing
Incredible imagery, insight into Russian history and culture. A fascinating poet with a tumultuous mind.
Aran
Dec 28, 2011 Aran rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
....didn't finish. Not my jam. Not sure if it was the translation, but it read... poorly.
Tanya
Jan 03, 2012 Tanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-drama, russian
Beautiful!
Karen
Jan 01, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
pretty and cold
Dumbledip
Dumbledip marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Gabe
Gabe rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Kerstin
Kerstin marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Faxe
Faxe is currently reading it
Gonca Yalcin
Gonca Yalcin marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Miss M
Miss M rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Mike Birman
Mike Birman rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Bruce Taylor
Bruce Taylor rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Matias
Matias marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Rebekah Ghost
Rebekah Ghost marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
  • The Stray Dog Cabaret: A Book of Russian Poems
  • Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Shelley: Poems
  • Keats: Poems
  • Kipling: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Verses and Versions: Three Centuries of Russian Poetry Selected and Translated by
  • Hughes: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Selected Poems
  • The Selected Poems
  • Monologue of a Dog
  • Baudelaire: Poems
Also known as: Анна Ахматова, Anna Ahmatova, Anna Achmatowa

Pen name of Anna Andreyevna Gorenko, a Russian modernist poet, credited as one of the most acclaimed writers in the Russian canon.

Akhmatova's work ranges from short lyric poems to universalized, ingeniously structured cycles, such as Requiem (1935-40), her tragic masterpiece about the Stalinist terror. Her work addresses a variety of theme
More about Anna Akhmatova...