Start by marking “Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)” as Want to Read:
Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)

Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A legend in her own time both for her brilliant poetry and for her resistance to oppression, Anna Akhmatova denounced by the Soviet regime for her eroticism, mysticism, and political indifference is one of the greatest Russian poets of the twentieth century.

Before the revolution, Akhmatova was a wildly popular young poet who lived a bohemian life. She was one of the leader
Published May 16th 2006 by Everyman's Library (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Anna Akhmatova, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna Akhmatova

William1
D.M. Thomas's translations are surprisingly lyrical. There is the sense, so deftly is the prosody handled, that some of these were written in English. One is filled with awe at times. How can these poems be so mesmerizingly lyrical? It's the earlier poems I prefer to the later serious ones, which tend to be be a slog. I think this volume, which contains the stirring "Requiem," is an excellent place for those curious about Akhmatova's poetry to start. Highly recommended.
Lizzie
Haunting and cold and devastating. "I was gay, and bold, and wicked/And never knew I was happy" (pg. 51).

It's been over a month since I finished this collection, and what remains most strongly are the moments of intense emotion, captured and preserved in one or two line images: "And street bonfires blazing red/Like roses in snow are flowering" (p. 67). Akhmatova's life was hard, beyond my experience, and I feel it when she cries, "There is a frontier-line in human closeness/That love and passion
Rebecca
Some excerpts for your pleasure:
"The mignonette smells of water,
Apple-tang clings to love,
But we were always taught that
Blood smells only of blood."

"Some gaze into tender faces,
Others drink until morning light,
But all night I hold conversations
With my conscience who is always right."

"The pillow hot
On both sides,
The second candle
Dying, the ravens
Crying. Haven't
Slept all night, too late
To dream of sleep...
How unbearably white
The blind on the white window.
Good morning, morning!"

I think I preferred
K.m.
Speaking as one of a generation of people living under the weight of the fear, violence, loss and want of two world wars and part of a generation of artists and thinkers oppressed, imprisoned, arrested, exiled, censored and executed by their government, Akhmatova's words are weighty. She grieves and remembers and prays in verse. Writing circumspectly (sometimes), to dodge censorship, Akhmatova's personal tragedies speak more broadly. The translator's commentary was helpful, and thankfully separa ...more
Hala
She is out of the world.. Loved it
Rob
Such a great poet. Loved this book very much.
Nancy
So depressingly beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I couldn't help but look up the history on her life. So beautiful. I wish I could read it in the original language though, although the translation was beautiful. Did I say it was beautiful?
Ariadna73
So beautiful and sad! The poem I liked the most was that about the women that are waiting in line in front of a prison, wanting to see their husbands, sons, brothers, who are incarcerated for various reasons related to war. The beauty of the images and the sadness of the feelings brought tears to my eyes.
Matt Woodle
Akhmatova made me believe in the beauty of poetry. She also made me believe that you could write an entire story, an entire universe even, in about fourteen words or less. She's brilliant!
Nick Black
May 12, 2011 Nick Black marked it as embarrassed-not-to-have-read
Recommended to Nick by: Jur
Shelves: to-acquire
love Akhmatova in the scattered fragments i've stumbled upon. this will, i think, be my Poetry Volume for the Year 2011.
Irwan
This little book of compilation gives a broad sweeping take of Akhmatova's work. I like it. Would love to read more of hers.
Alleytia Bennett
Incredible imagery, insight into Russian history and culture. A fascinating poet with a tumultuous mind.
Aran
Dec 28, 2011 Aran rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
....didn't finish. Not my jam. Not sure if it was the translation, but it read... poorly.
Karen
pretty and cold
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Rosemary Reads
Rosemary Reads marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Israel
Israel marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Mohsenfahmy Moussa
Mohsenfahmy Moussa marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Mirela Radanovic
Mirela Radanovic marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hopkins: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • The Stray Dog Cabaret: A Book of Russian Poems
  • Keats: Poems
  • Shelley: Poems
  • Frost: Poems
  • Tennyson: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Auden: Poems
  • Poe: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • The Gorgeous Nothings: Emily Dickinson's Envelope Poems
  • Love Poems
  • Poems of the Late T'ang
  • Anna of All the Russias: A Life of Anna Akhmatova
  • The Selected Poems
  • Baudelaire: Poems
  • The Selected Poems
  • Animal Poems
  • Rilke: Poems (Pocket Poets)
  • Russian Magic Tales from Pushkin to Platonov (Penguin Classics)
Also known as: Анна Ахматова, Anna Ahmatova, Anna Achmatowa

Pen name of Anna Andreyevna Gorenko, a Russian modernist poet, credited credited as one of the most acclaimed writers in the Russian canon.

Akhmatova's work ranges from short lyric poems to universalized, ingeniously structured cycles, such as Requiem (1935-40), her tragic masterpiece about the Stalinist terror. Her work addresses a variety
More about Anna Akhmatova...
The Complete Poems of Anna Akhmatova Selected Poems Poems of Akhmatova Избранное (Библиотека поэзии) Requiem Edition Bilingue