Start by marking “What Would Buddha Do at Work?: 101 Answers to Workplace Dilemmas” as Want to Read:
What Would Buddha Do at Work?: 101 Answers to Workplace Dilemmas

What Would Buddha Do at Work?: 101 Answers to Workplace Dilemmas

With the economy booming, people are experiencing extraordinary material benefits yet still hunger for deeper meaning in their work lives. What Would Buddha Do at Work? uses the gentle teachings of Buddha to help readers discover that meaning. What Would Buddha Do at Work? presents 101 situations or issues that people struggle with daily, ranging from coping with difficult ...more
Published May 25th 2001 by Ulysses Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about What Would Buddha Do at Work?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Would Buddha Do at Work?

Lorann
Feb 09, 2009 Lorann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read
I was so disappointed by this book. I had such high hopes that it would be one of those 'you've got to read this great little book' books. But alas, it was just a fluffy little bit of self-indulgent drivel. The author couldn't decide where to go with this - a lite comedy? A self-help? A bit of ponderous wisdom? It tries to be all and succeeds at none...
Sadly, I would recommend this to no one.
Libby
Apr 28, 2009 Libby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An alternative to the "What Would Jesus Do?" Industry. This book has its roots in the basics of Buddhism and offers some useful perspectives on modern dilemmas. I guess "serious" Buddhists might find this book frivolous or simplistic but I found it to be refreshingly honest and warm.
Karol K
Dec 23, 2016 Karol K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would gladly live my life according to the words written here. I recommend to all young people having difficulty with decisions.
Maria
Sep 19, 2014 Maria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was despicable. As a Buddhist, never had I been so disgusted by such a book about it.
First, Metcalf was right when introducing this book only as his viewpoints. Some of the things he wrote were very unclear and difficult to infer his meaning.
Second, he worships the Dalai Lama, a politician. A. Fucking. Politician. I am offended and dismayed that he agrees to political involvement being okay according to Buddhism. The very idea of politics is rotten with lies, deceit, and corruption. Bu
K.
I've read several books based on Buddhism, and this is something I grabbed to read in the doctor's waiting room. Each page contains a brief quote and then a gloss of that quote. I found these amplifications uneven. Some were very thought provoking and promoted peaceful thinking and enlightenment. Others were still a bit too seeped in Western traditions of philosophical thinking--definitions, arguments, increasing tensions, and so forth.

It's worth thumbing through, but I wouldn't call this repre
Maria Mendoza
Me pareció un libro entretenido, con muchas frases budistas para reflexionar y sonreír, pero no esperen hallar las respuestas para solucionar la vida. Lo mejor del libro es que recomienda es una sencilla introducción al mundo del budismo y recomienda muchos libros para todos los niveles de interés.
Asna
Oct 29, 2011 Asna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I kind of lost in facing life at the time. After reading it, I still got lost at some parts because I just barely understand the meaning hahaha Take your time when reading this. It needs some time to apprehension, but once you got it, it gives different perspective of life, feeling and act, which I like it.
Isaac
Jul 31, 2009 Isaac rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that does link the teachings of jesus and buddha. It is not one of those books where we are subjected to the teachings of the buddha but this book is rather the kind where is educates people about morales in lives. In orther words, it's quote on the cover page is similar to "what is the best option if ......?"
Tathagata Mukherjee
The book definitely gives a different point of view of ones day to day problems. It's all about how you react to them. I feel "Buddha" is the insite everyone has within themselves. Once you rely on your own wisdom, you will deal the problems how The Historical Buddha might have done, and which is depicted in the book.
David
Jun 01, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zen, ebook-only
Wonderful book and much that really made me stop and think. I can highly recommend this book, it helped me a lot. Maybe you aren't ready for it yet but give it a shot, maybe the buddha in your mind will open up too.
Meredith
Sep 28, 2008 Meredith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, dads, spiritual
fluffy buddhist information. started out interesting but I lost interest in many of the questions as the book went out. skimmed through and read questions and answers to the questions that were of interest to me.
Caecilia Risma
Dec 07, 2007 Caecilia Risma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Semua pekerja yang mempunyai dilema menghadapi suasana kerja.
Logis dan realistik. Sangat mendukung pencerahan diri dalam menghadapi haru-biru dunia kerja. Anda tidak harus menjadi penganut Buddha setelah membaca buku ini.. Secara pribadi, dengan menerapkan solusi-solusi di dalamnya, seperti melakukan meditasi penyembuhan. A must have item.
Ryan
Feb 17, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Felicita Hioe
Jul 13, 2016 Felicita Hioe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes the question and the answer is unrelated. I think the writer does not write the book calmly.
Hal
Jun 01, 2014 Hal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting little book that probes many of life's questions and concerns from the Buddhist point of view. Worthwhile for anyone curious of what the religion/philosophy has to offer.
Paige
Aug 17, 2010 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
The answers given were very open-ended, which can be somewhat frustrating. But this ambiguity seems to be part of the nature of Buddhism itself.
Awakeatone
Jun 07, 2015 Awakeatone rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ramzi
Apr 17, 2015 Ramzi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Amazing insights on how to address issues at working place, this book emphasizes on human management, which is predominantly the delicate side of any organization and the backbone. Great Read!
Christine
Mar 05, 2013 Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a good introduction to Buddhism and I doubt Buddha himself would approve of many of the things in this book. Buddha being okay with meat eating? That goes against every Buddhist principle.
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Robin Ramone
Robin Ramone rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Eric Thompson
Eric Thompson rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2015
Warren Milburn
Warren Milburn rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Melle
Melle rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2007
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Susan North
Susan North rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2008
Chris Fernandes
Chris Fernandes rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2015
  • The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away: Teachings on Impermanence and the End of Suffering
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • Contemplative Science: Where Buddhism and Neuroscience Converge
  • Stepping Out of Self-Deception: The Buddha's Liberating Teaching of No-Self
  • The Little Zen Companion
  • The Leader's Way: Business, Buddhism And Happiness In An Interconnected World
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Buddha in Daily Life, The: Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • Smile at Fear: Awakening the True Heart of Bravery
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Against the Stream: A Buddhist Manual for Spiritual Revolutionaries