Start by marking “Monster Hug!” as Want to Read:
Monster Hug!

Monster Hug!

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  27 reviews
From the time they leap out of bed until they hug each other good night, two rambunctious young monsters make the world their playground. And playtime between such great friends is colossal fun, and sometimes earth shaking business. David Ezra Stein?s simple, descriptive text and lively illustrations are full of humor, playing with size and perspective as the monsters play ...more
Published September 20th 2007 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Monster Hug!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster Hug!

Lauren
Cute and silly - would be good to read with a toddler/preschooler one-on-one so you can discuss what's happening in the illustrations. Wouldn't suggest for a read-aloud; the words make most sense in the context of the illustrations, which are too subtle for a group to see well, I think.
Lisa Vegan
Oh, I loved Leaves and Pouch! by the same author-illustrator. But, I found this book disappointing.

The illustrations aren’t nearly as appealing (for me) as in the other two books, but some of them are cute. I like the two with the monster on the bridge, the two showing each monster eating, and the two where the monster buddies’ elders first appear; they were all sort of funny.

I think kids who either like monsters or who are scared of monsters might very well like this book. Also, I think that th
Erin
Monsters do all sorts of things. This book takes you through the day of a couple of young monsters playing away. The text is very simple.

Good for toddler or preschool storytimes.
Angela
Best for kids ages 1 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Vocabulary

From cover:
From the time they leap out of bed until they hug each other goodbye, two rambunctious young monsters make the world their playground. And playtime between such great friends is colossal fun, and sometimes earth-shaking business!

Kid like illustration are really fun, but the words and sentences get overpowered by the illustration. Early readers may get more out of the pictures than the words.
Samuel Gillham
Monster Hug! is an all-around fun book to read. Reading it out loud to a group of kids would be a blast. Each page follows the pattern of, "Monsters (verb)." So kids can pretend to be a monster and act out the verb being read. For example, one page reads, "Monsters wake up!!" So kids could pretend to wake up with all the rambunctiousness of a monster. It can also teach kids about noun/verb usage while making it enjoyable. I would say it is best used for kids grades K-3.
Dolly
Oct 25, 2009 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I'm not a big fan of this book, but our girls enjoyed the illustrations and what we did take from the story is that even big, strong and scary monsters have Mommies and Daddies who make them come home for dinner and go to bed early. The illustrations are a bit too sketchy for my taste and I presume that this book would appeal to boys more so than girls.
Aimee
This book was great! It tells the story of two monsters going CRAZY using really bright colorful pictures that look like they were drawn in crayons. It also has great verbs that students could act out as the story goes on. Like kids though, of course. Definitely NOT like the monsters in the story!
Jackie
Simple, spare text accompany this delightful picture book about monsters and how they play, fight, and hug!

Monster Hug! is colorful and full of never-before seen monster antics...kids will love it! :-)

Used for "Monsters: And Other Creatures" storytime-October, 2011.
Vicki
This is a great storytime book -- you can make it funny, or dramatic, and the monsters are pretty non-threatening. Kids love the scale of how large the monsters are against things like bridges and roads. And then even bigger parents show up! A good opener.
Kelly
Brilliant. The fun, short text and vibrant illustrations grab my daughter's attention every single time we read this book to her. She LOVES this book! It's especially fun because of the voices you can do for the monster characters.
Tricia
I enjoy Stein's work but this title didn't bowl me over. The text was a bit choppy and the concept unclear. The ending somewhat redeems the title as we find out the monsters who appear so big are "children" monsters playing. Just okay.
Rebecca
Very cute, simple book with loose, happy ink-and-watercolor illustrations. This would be a fun one to read one-on-one or to a group as an act-it-out book (act out what the monsters are doing...use sound effects!).
Paula
Great book for story time, vibrant colors about monsters playing together in their monster way. Funny book but in the end the monsters go to bed to and they give one another a hug.
Rosa
The artwork here is slightly sloppy but it was clearly a style choice and it was a great one. I liked the twist of the monsters being children.
Pauline
This would've been better if the sentences were more complex...the illustrations are awesome, but the sentences too simple for a preschooler.
Emily Beeson
Simple words. Cute illustrations. This book is a clever example of how words and illustrations work together to make a picture book.
Danica Midlil
I love that the back end-page shows the monster mama knitting a monster sock (even if the knitting isn't depicted correctly!).
Rusty Gregory
Simple, creative, and clever. I liked the simplicity of this book. It is kind of refreshing to see something simple and loose.
Natalie
The ending was really great and a few of the phrases were clever, but it wasn't solidly appreciated.
Jim
I LOVE the art in this book.
It's simple for your new reader to read.
Oh, and monsters.
Nicole
Would be great to act these out with the story, hmmm. Fun actions and story.
Zaidee
lame book although I like some other David Ezra Stein books.
Jamil
also for my nephews, who play like these monsters
Tracy
Feb 14, 2009 Tracy added it
Shelves: storytime
Monsters
Best Friends
Sound effects
Gretchen W
For younger kids like my brothers
Adrienne Furness
The ending is the best part.
Dana
lovely
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
David Ezra Stein is an author-illustrator whose previous books include LEAVES, winner of an Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Award. He lives in Kew Gardens, New York.
More about David Ezra Stein...
Interrupting Chicken Leaves Pouch! Ol' Mama Squirrel Dinosaur Kisses