Start by marking “Armadillo Rodeo” as Want to Read:
Armadillo Rodeo

Armadillo Rodeo

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  533 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Published June 3rd 2004 by Puffin Books

To ask other readers questions about Armadillo Rodeo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Armadillo Rodeo

The Mitten by Jan BrettFritz and the Beautiful Horses by Jan BrettThe Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan BrettThe First Dog by Jan BrettTrouble with Trolls by Jan Brett
Best of Jan Brett
14th out of 32 books — 8 voters
Armadilly Chili by Helen KettemanJust Like Me by Adam RelfThe Three Armadillies Tuff by Jackie Mims HopkinsThe Armadillo from Amarillo by Lynne CherryArmadillo Rodeo by Jan Brett
Armadillo Picture Books
5th out of 16 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Evan
This lively children's picture book by author/illustrator Jan Brett is a fun-loving animal tale about a creature not frequently featured in the genre: an armadillo. Bo, the only armadillo his mother saw worthy of a name (she calls the others "One, two, three"), finds himself enamored by a "rip-roarin', rootin'-tootin' shiny red" armadillo friend and chases her all across the Texas hill country. This seemingly fellow marsupial turns out to be the new red boots of Harmony Jean, a young girl on her ...more
The Book Maven
I haven’t experienced this much of the Lone Star State in many a year! Jan Brett presents a fun story that brings both Texas and armadillos to life, and does so with her usual flair for detailed, engaging illustrations, and a lot of accurate vernacular to boot. (Pun intended.)

Bo the Armadillo has a habit of wandering away from the watchful eye of his mother, and when he mistakes a vivid red cowboy boot for a new armadillo friend, he decides to follow wherever armadillo-boot leads. He gets plent
Rosa Cline
Ms Brett does a really good job as she always does with her stories and illustrations but this one wasn't one of my favorites. If I was a 'city girl' and didn't know 'that' much about country living and rodeos, fairs etc it would be perfect but sometimes her writing kind of exaggerates wording and things...but if you don't live that live style (and not saying I'm perfectly a rodeo person either) but it's just a little 'out there' still a very cute book about an armadillo that tries to make frien ...more
Lorena Magallanes
Armadillo Rodeo, written by Jan Brett follows around a young armadillo named Bo. Bo gets separated from his family after seeing what he thought was a bright red shiny armadillo! What he thought was a bright red shiny armadillo was really a young girls red cowboy boots. He follows her around until she takes her boots off at the end of the day and realize that they were only boots.

The book has double page spreads with water colored pictures and her famous borders. Again, in each border Jan Brett
Linda Lipko
Continuing my quest to read all the books of this writer/illustrator, once again, I'm in awe of her talent. Her images pop right off the page. The detail is incredibly rich and stunning.

Bo the armadillo is one of many. As he travels along with mother armadillo and his sisters and brothers, he has a penchant for wandering. His poor eyesight never stops him from his adventures.

When he sees a pair of red cowboy boots, he mistakes them for a beautiful armadillo and instantly becomes infatuated. Bef
Jared Burton
Brett, Jan. Armadillo Rodeo. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1995.
Genre - Fiction - Western
This is a book about an Armadillo named Bo who is very curious. As the family of armadillos makes their way to start the day Bo gets distracted by a pair of new red shiny boots that he mistakes for an armadillo. He follows the girl wearing the boots throughout her day until he finds out that the red shiny boots are in fact not an armadillo. Then his mother brings him back home to his own kind.
The story is
Alexandria
Armadillo Rodeo is the story about a silly armadillo named Bo who is always getting himself into trouble. After mistaking a pair red boots for another armadillo, a potential friend, Bo learns that his mom will always be there to get him out of a pickle and bring him home. One of my favorite parts of this book was how the author used a lasso to portray different illustrations within the same image. For example in one section the text introduced the young girl and her boots, the overall picture wa ...more
Angie
Synopsis: "When Bo spots what he thinks is a "rip-roarin', rootin'-tootin', shiny red armadillo," he knows what he has to do. Follow that armadillo! Bo leaves his mother and three brothers behind and takes off for a two-stepping, bronco-bucking adventure. Jan Brett turns her considerable talents toward the Texas countryside in this amusing story of an armadillo on his own."

My Review: I really enjoyed this book (might be my love for the armadillo speaking). The images were bright and the story wa
Sean Fowler
This was a cute story about a young armadillo who seeks adventure. He follows a cowgirl to a rodeo to have some fun for the day. The lone star theme of the book was done well with the lasso bordering the illustrations on all of the pages. The detail of the armadillo was great, but the character seemed a bit more life like than I am used to seeing animal characters in books. That is not a bad thing, it just did not look "cartoony" I guess. It was nice to see an animal rarely used in books as a ch ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I grew up a huge fan of Jan Brett books, and I have enjoyed passing on that love to my kids. Recently while volunteering at my son's school for their Scholastic Book Fair (which I LOVE and will talk about that in a separate post), I found this gem of a book and I couldn't help but purchase it.

Armadillo Rodeo is a fun, engaging read for kids as they follow the story of Bo, the curious little armadillo who wanders away from his family and mistakes a pair of bright red boots for an armadillo. It's
Katieb (MundieMoms)

Christine Turner
Most armadillos are happy scratching sand and eating, but Bo longs for adventure. And adventure Bo gets, the day Harmony Jean breaks in her brand-new chili- pepper-red cowboy boots by the banks of Can Creek. Peering out across the creek bed, Bo is sure he's spotted a rip-roarin', rootin'-tootin', shiny red armadillo! Bo's off and running after his new friend, right down to the Curly H Rodeo. There Bo gets to do all the things he's dreamed of doing: he rides a bronc, eats red- hot chili peppers, ...more
Nicholas Linsk
This story takes place in the Texas country side and is a warm funny story of an Armadillo, Bo who longs for adventure. The boarder on each double page layout is framed by a rope. The life like illustrations enhances the textual quality of the story. Brett’s talent of detailing every aspect of flora adds to the reality value of the story.
Michelle
Bo, the armadillo, leaves behind his mother and brothers to chase after a cowboy boot which he thinks is a shiny red armadillo. He has a “rootin’-tootin” adventure that eventually leads him back to his family.

I love Jan Brett and so do the children in the early primary grades! Her books depict a variety of animals and cultures from around the world. She also uses illustrated borders to give her readers a sneak peak of what’s to come and what has already taken place in the story. As a teacher, i
Wendy Daniel
Jan Brett did it again. This time she explores the world of rodeos and Texas through the eyes of Bo, an armadillo. This book is great for kids ages 3-5 years old. Librarians and caregivers can introduce narrative skills, print motivation and vocabulary with this book.
Tiffany
There's something about Jan Brett's books that I just don't like. The illustrations are so detailed and great but the story itself isn't the greatest.
LaDawn
Jun 07, 2015 LaDawn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
My kids are all native Texans, so this book has been a much read favorite over the years.
Emilia P
Uhhhh. I just don't love Jan Brett. I am all for complicated and super-precise illustrations, but all the extra framing around Brett's pages with the side-stories makes it feel showy-offy. Even though this story is nice - a armadillo falls in love with a pair of cowboy boots, and follows them to a rodeo and a barn dance, but ultimately, his romantic efforts are thwarted. So, it's fun, but Brett's over-illustration and under-narration don't work for me. Alas. I know Brett's important, but just no ...more
Samantha Hagler
Cute and humorous book that is sure to keep all young children engaged! This story is about an armadillo named Bo who gets away from his mother and brothers one day because he started chasing after a rowdy bright red armadillo. Come to find out, it was really a young girls cowboy boots and Bo doesn't realize this until the very end.

This book is great for getting kids to make predictions based on the illustrations and the story itself. You can also use this book to teach adjectives and the use o
Alison Durbin
I found this book humorous at times, but overall this was not my favorite Jan Brett book (of the ones I have read). I know this is obvious, but the illustrations were very well done. I appreciate Brett's attention to detail in all of her illustrations.
Lauren
Cute, but too advanced for my 3 yr old
Roshunda Harris
This book is about an armadillo named Bo, whose curiosity and bad vision causes him to mistake a red cowboy boot for another armadillo. Bo goes on an obliviously dangerous adventure to befriend the potential friend. In the end he ends up having a rootin', tootin' time. This book would be great to use in the classroom for lessons on prediction and comparing a contrasting stories by the same author (Jane Brett).
Kristin Beachy
This book is about an armadillo who leaves everything behind to chase after a cowboy boot which he has mistaken for a shiny red armadillo. His adventures eventually lead him back to his family. The author does a wonderful job of representing other cultures and each page gives the reader a picture clue of what is to come. The borders of each page could be used to help students with predicting skills!
Leslee
Bo finds a very interesting armadillo that he wants to befriend. Bo leaves his family and runs after this new armadillo all across town and the county fair. Once he finally comes close to the armadillo he discovers that the armadillo really isn't an armadillo but instead a red cowboy boot! Just when he feels upset and lost his family is there to comfort him and take him back home.
Lori
A fun look at some expressive boots and bluebonnets through the eyes of an armadillo. I enjoyed the illustrations even more than the story. Besides, any author who will buy a pair of red boots and eat 'dozens of jalapeno peppers' as a part of her research, puts this author on my list of 'people it would be fun to meet'.
carrie
This is actually the first Jan Brett book I've read. We really liked it. It's such a fun, sensory experience of a rodeo -- it makes you wish you were there. Ethan appreciated this a lot after our horse-related experiences at the Draper Days Rodeo (all his "whys" were hilarious) and Jackson Hole this summer.
Sung Baick
Great book for predictions! Each page has a little picture that foretells what the next page will talk about - good to ask students questions using the pictures. Cute storyline about an armadillo who chases a pair of red boots thinking it's another armadillo (they have bad eyesight)!
Roxanne
Cute story about a armadillo "Bo" who strays from his mother and the adventures he goes on. I would use this book for preK-2nd grade. As a read aloud lesson with a follow up writing lesson- so the children can have other ideas for writing.

Award:
Caldecott winner
Connie
This is a really great book. I love the rhythm, and the language choices, and I love Bo's adventurous attitude!

As always with Brett, be sure to check out the signature pictures on the sides of the pages that show what Bo's mama is doing as he has fun.
Lauren Brown
A different book from what is normally seen. The illustrations are very detailed and can be focused on for long periods of time. The pictures are within a "frame" that includes other drawings. It is also a very funny story!
  • Crickwing
  • Little Pink Pup
  • How Groundhog's Garden Grew
  • Round Trip
  • Beatrice's Goat
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme
More about Jan Brett...
The Mitten The Hat Gingerbread Baby The Wild Christmas Reindeer Town Mouse, Country Mouse