Start by marking “Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?” as Want to Read:
Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?

Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,748 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Every year, trolls knock down Kyri's door and gobble up her Christmas feast. But this year, the trolls are in for a surprise: a boy and his pet ice bear on their way to Oslo have come in from the cold. And once the ice bear is finished with the trolls, you can bet they won't come knocking next Christmas Eve!

Once again, Jan Brett creates an original Christmas story full of
Published September 23rd 2002 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?

Ronyell
Knocking

Alright! Lately, I have been taking a break from reading folktales from around the world, but now I am trying to get back into reading more folktales from around the world! I just stumbled upon this little gem of a book called “Who’s That Knocking on Christmas Eve?” which is a children’s book by Jan Brett that takes place in Norway and it is about how a boy from Finnmark and a young girl named Kyri tried to ward off a pack of trolls from spoiling their Christmas dinner. “Who’s That Knocking on C
Jason Stalides
Fun little fairytale-like story with great art, creepy trolls, and a polar bear. My boys were a little afraid as they went to sleep. Bwahaha!
Sara
Dec 21, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is one of my favorite Jan Brett stories!
Andrea Hussey
Dec 27, 2016 Andrea Hussey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bethany
Mar 13, 2008 Bethany rated it really liked it
I have a special place in my heart for this book, as the main character is modeled on one of the polar bears at Brookfield Zoo where I used to work. But I think even without that, I would enjoy this fun holiday story.
Dolly
Dec 31, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale, a fairy tale from Norway about Christmas, winter, and mischievous trolls. The illustrations are classic Jan Brett - beautiful scenes and pictures within pictures. Our girls really enjoyed the story - especially how Kyri and the boy were able to trick the trolls.
midnightfaerie
Nov 27, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Loving Jan Brett. Her stories are fantastically unique and the illustrations are so detailed. Beautiful snow filled pictures with lots of great characters, all my children love her books.
Heather
Dec 24, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Elijah Libert
Dec 05, 2016 Elijah Libert rated it it was amazing
i love jan bretts books
Kelly Borton
Mar 11, 2014 Kelly Borton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edci-group
Jan Brett's books are inspired by her and her husband's travels. Her books are filled full page illustrations representing the region's culture. Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve was based on her visit to Norway and Finland. The illustrations are colorful and full of motion. Much time can be spent studying the pictures. In this book, you see a pet polar bear, northern lights, structures, and a boy and girl representing the Norwegian culture. Her style incorporates folkstyle with troll and mis ...more
Linda Lipko
Jan 06, 2014 Linda Lipko rated it really liked it
I never tire of Jan Brett's artistry. What a tremendous gift she possesses. One again, using a Norwegian folktale for the springboard of the story, the illustrations are filled with attention to detail. Each page contains images galore, and while one might think it difficult to focus, Brett always has the two page spreads with a focal point and then smaller images on the periphery.

Cold and weary, Olso travels with his very special ice bear. Spotting chimney smoke and smelling delightful food, Ol
Lisa Overberg
Oct 06, 2013 Lisa Overberg rated it it was amazing
This book was written by Jan Brett. She shares a wonderful story about a little girl who lives with her father in the snowy mountains. Every year on Christmas, their home is broken into by trolls who steal their Christmas meal. This year, while the little girl's father is outside looking for the trolls, she is visited by a boy who is traveling with his ice bear to Oslo. He asks to rest there because he has been traveling a long time. That evening, when the trolls break into the house, they are t ...more
Katherine Cowley
Jan 05, 2013 Katherine Cowley rated it it was amazing
From the author and illustrator of The Mitten comes a delightful Nordic story about a girl and her father who have their Christmas dinner cruelly devoured by impish trolls every year. This year, though, a boy with a polar bear comes, and tries to help them with their troll problem.

I like how this book truly reminds me of when I lived in Finland and visited Sweden--the geographic and story elements ring true to me. The illustrations are beautiful, and like in The Mitten, by glancing at the side p
Marcelle
Jan 02, 2012 Marcelle rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I love Jan Brett's books! This is a wonderful retelling of a book I remember fondly from childhood. My kids loved it just as much and we read it nearly every day in December. It became a teaching tool as we talked about geography, foreshadowing, legends and the importance of repeated storytelling, trolls, Christmas traditions and Nordic animals and handicrafts. And oh, those illustrations! She's so fantastic--each troll has its own personality and the patterns in clothing and furnishings ...more
Kirsten Denny
Nov 28, 2012 Kirsten Denny rated it really liked it
In this fun Christmas book, a polar bear and his trainer keep trolls away from a house on Christmas Eve. The details in the book show even the wood carving and shapes in the furniture. This book is just long enough for a read aloud and is great for students right before the Christmas break. This is a fun story that has not been told before and is sure to be loved by all. Even if the child has trouble reading it, they can still look at all the beautiful detailed pictures and understand exactly wh ...more
Judy
Mar 20, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
The story is good ... but it could have been better. For one, it's too short. Several more pages would have helped young (and older) readers get a better feeling for the place and times. One more page of illustrations with the young Finn traveling across the snowy landscape (perhaps with a troll watching) and another couple of images inside the house would help readers 'own' the story. I was also bothered by the polar bear's behavior. Okay, I can accept that it's a trained bear, but it's totally ...more
Terry
The story is reminiscent of any of the fables we grew up with where trolls were involved: mischief and happy endings. The illustrations are exquisite and make the reading all the more enchanting. There is plenty of mischief for the "toddler troll" to imitate, and the story has a happy ending.

Read our full review at the Reading Tub.
Dec 17, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
The illustrations are gorgeous, I particularly love the deep colors accenting the winter setting. However, the story itself is just mediocre. Granted, I've never been a fan of trolls so their appearance held no real interest for me. Additionally, this wasn't terribly Christmasy, it's really more of a Scandinavian winter story. Fans of Jan Brett will want this for the pictures alone but I thought the text was neither memorable nor engaging.
Diana
Dec 13, 2009 Diana rated it liked it
Recommended to Diana by: children's librarian
This is a Norwegian folktale. Jan Brett did research in Norway to write this story. The pictures in this book are amazing and all done by Jan Brett. The story is exciting for children. I looked Jan Brett up on the internet and there are videos of her going into libraries and showing kids how to draw some of the animals in her stories. I enjoyed telling this story to children in a second grade classroom.
Pam
Oct 20, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
This is our first wrapped book of the season...and the only one I wrapped up brand new! We liked it a lot. Not surprising because we are big fans of Jan Brett. The illustrations were top-notch and the story is beautifully written....except that it gets a tiny bit weird toward the end. Come back for Christmas Eve a year from now? It seemed like the ending was a bit rushed. We did enjoy it, though.
Stacy
Jan 28, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, christmas
Dec 16, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
I think it is just me, but I always feel that jan brett's books leave me hanging. I always feel there is more to the story and I'm left hanging. Sigh. The pictures are beyond wonderful, like always. I could just look at the pictures and be satisfied. The story was ok. The kids liked the bear, and loved that he chased the trolls.
Christy
Nov 29, 2011 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book

Sung Baick
Feb 03, 2011 Sung Baick rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
A fun Christmas story to share with the kids. I would recommend this book for pretty much any elementary grade school level. This would be a fun story to just share and have students create their own piece of writing. Also, Jan Brett's books are always good for predictions since she has little pictures that foretell the story.
Paula
Dec 10, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Jan Brett never ceases to amaze me. Her stories are interesting and packed full of tidbits about other countries' traditions, customs, clothes, foods, etc.. In this case it's Norway and Christmas Eve. The illustrations are beautiful and stories in and of their own. The story and illustrations make you feel like you're right there and that hot porridge sure does look yummy!
Jaimie
May 10, 2015 Jaimie rated it really liked it
Janet
May 18, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it
First of all it's Jan Brett. She is always fabulous! This a not a "Christmas" story so don't let the title fool you. It is a winter or holiday story. Good word choice and enough new topics to get your kids excited and asking questions about the ugly trolls and Finmark that you should definitley not give them the answer to! Beautiful graphics and a nice story to boot!
Annie
Dec 03, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I loved this book. Poor girl, all she wants to do is have a nice Christmas meal without trolls stealing it. A new friend and an ice bear show up to give her a hand. Christmas books tend to be repetitive, so the trolls being added to this story was a nice twist.
Sally
Dec 23, 2008 Sally rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Janet
Mar 17, 2014 Janet rated it it was ok
The detail I liked about Brett's illustrations in this story is the snowflakes on the bottom corner of each page placed exactly where one turns the page. Each snowflake is shown in icy detail. The story in this title I was not fond of.
  • A Pussycat's Christmas
  • Harold at the North Pole
  • The Light of Christmas
  • Dream Snow
  • Humphreys First Christmas
  • Santa Calls
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Merry Christmas, Strega Nona
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • The Nutcracker
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme
More about Jan Brett...