Start by marking “Comet's Nine Lives” as Want to Read:
Comet's Nine Lives

Comet's Nine Lives

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  585 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
It all begins when Comet walks away from the lighthouse close to his birthplace on Nantucket Island. He visits a garden, a bookstore, a boat, and a party, and at each place he gets into trouble and loses one of his lives. Comet starts to worry. He longs for a home, a place where he’ll be safe. Will he find one before he uses up all nine lives?
Published May 21st 2001 by Puffin Books (first published August 27th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Comet's Nine Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Comet's Nine Lives

Miriam
Dec 05, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nantucket Islanders
Shelves: picture
This prettily-illustrated tale of an accident prone cat is set in Nantucket. The panels are framed with seashell designs reminiscent of the craft items sold at the shore.

I was ambivalent about the treatment of death in this book. Certainly I agree with Brett that one wouldn't want to be too morbid or gruesome in a book for little children. On the other hand, I don't think it is beneficial for children to have death treated too casually, either. And practically, I would be a little concerned givi
Ronyell
I have read many books by Jan Brett, but I have never read a book quite like this one! “Comet's Nine Lives” is a children's book by Jan Brett which is about a cat named Comet who wanted to do more in his life, but is finding it hard to keep his nine lives together. “Comet's Nine Lives” might be a tad bit too confusing, but many children will enjoy this cute story!

Comet was born on Nantucket Island and he grew up wandering around the island. One day however, Comet was eating some fox gloves when
Lisa Vegan
Aug 28, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Despite my horror of dogs that wear clothes, I thought the illustrations were beautiful. The story was okay too, although I was disturbed by the way one of the eight lives was lost; it was a bit too mean spirited, even though there was a valid reason for it.
Kristine Montgomery
Comet lives on the beautiful island of Nantucket, but his curiosity causes him to lose his nine lives one by one. Life number one gets lost in a flower garden during a moment of curiosity and as he spends lazy days wandering all over the island he realizes after all of his mishaps that it is now time to settle down and call somewhere "home". But he keeps getting into one humorous predicament after another.

This book has beautiful island scenes--sandy beaches, hillside flower gardens, seaside tra
Lstirl
Oct 08, 2008 Lstirl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Comet. How will he ever find a save place to relax?

As a fan of Jan Brett, I had high hopes for this book. The cover art pulled me in and I sat down to peruse. However, I found this book lacking in wit and charm. Comet's character seemed rather flat and uninteresting. The art, while pretty and perhaps appealing to adults, wasn't fun and the dogs in dresses came across more contrived than cute. The whole thing came across as too busy to me. I felt overwhelmed and slightly claustrophobic at th
Bluelily3
This was a favorite of mine and my sister's when we were kids. She was an aspiring artist, and after watching "All Dogs Go To Heaven" a million times, we loved dogs. The idea that Comet dies 8 times didn't really bother us. Maybe we were already used to it because we had watched Charlie die in the before mentioned Don Bluth film.

The people that have negative responses to this book need to get over it. Death is something that all kids need to learn.
As for making kids abuse cats? Seriously. The
Emese
Jen Van Allen
Comet, a cat, begins exploring many different places after being taken away from the place where he was born. Each place he visits costs him one life. Comet knows that all cats are born with nine lives, but this knowledge has little meaning to Comet until he loses life number one. This book could be used to talk about journeys. The cat goes on a journey that puts him in danger, so this book could also be used to talk about safety. As a person who loves cats, I was excited to read this Jan Brett ...more
Michele Reno
Love the illustrations, but the story is kind of lame. I read it to a first grader today and he was less than thrilled.
Hill
Jan 19, 2009 Hill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was probably my least favorite Jan Brett book so far.
Jill Wolf
Mar 26, 2016 Jill Wolf rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Picture Book #6
This book is about a cat named Comet who is trying to discover where exactly he wants to live for the rest of his lives on Nantucket Island. While searching for the right place, he looses eight of his lives in various circumstances. On his ninth live, he ends up running into the lighthouse cat with green eyes. He falls in love and decides that he is supposed to spend the rest of his life there. This book emphasizes Comet's thoughts while on his journey. I think this would be a gr
Lisa Rathbun
I love Jan Brett's illustrations and this book is certainly beautiful with wonderful details. It's fun to see what the lighthouse keeper and his cat are doing while Comet is having his adventures. In scenes where the lighthouse does not appear, the lighthouse keeper himself is usually somewhere in the picture.

Despite the illustrations, however, I still didn't really like this book. I thought that having dogs in place of people while cats were typical pets was a weird choice. And it was awkward
Diane
Oct 12, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-favorite-read
Comet's Nine Lives is a preschool book that is absolutely adorable, but it deals with a cat who gets himself into a variety of predicaments and uses up (8) of his (9) lives. I can see where some parents might be cautious about reading or explaining such a book to young children, and a few reviews indicated the subject matter was not appropriate for young children. In my opinion is, the story is just fine. It just takes a little explaining, as you would do if you were to read Hansel and Gretal or ...more
Alex
A cat named Comet, was born near Nantucket Island and is enjoying life with his nine lives. Everything is great until he loses his first life after eating a flower called foxgloves. After that, there is a series of funny incidents resulting in one life less of Comet’s nine. While he is worried minute by minute in danger of losing another life he wants to settle down and finally, find a home. From the stack of books that fall on him to him landing in the milk shake, I had to laugh at the ways he ...more
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
Cute, cute book. I loved the idea of see how a cat would spend all nine of it's lives on Nantucket Island. I did think Comet lost those lives a little too easily, but that's to be expected for a picture book since you don't have a lot of room for plot development. :)

I kind of liked how the "townspeople" were other animals themselves. Though it was a little weird that Comet was normal cat sized compared to all these dogs and bunnies and bears, but it added some great detail to the illustrations.
Linda Lipko
Comet the cat lived on and roamed all over Nantucket Island. One day after eating the flowers of fox glove, she fell into a deep coma, and then lost one of her lives. Another day, settling on top of a rack of books in the bookstore, suddenly, she lost balance and was buried, she watched as life number two floated on by. All too quickly, Comet's remaining lives slipped away, until one day Hurricane Elmadore headed straight to Nantucket, taking all things in the pathway and scattering them, with C ...more
Rosa Cline
Feb 12, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
As in most of Ms Brett's storybooks her illustrations are just as good or better than the actual text. And that holds true for this story. Illustrations with beautiful cats, and animals and sea shore and lighthouses etc. this is about a cat named Comet trying to figure out where he belonged and using up most of all his 9 lives in the process.
Zeke Luna
A really cute story about a cat just trying to find its place in the world. The book has typical Jan Brett illustrations in it. The book is a little strange because the cat is still a cat but the dogs are humans. That is kind of a little confusing, but children may overlook that. The story follows this cat as it goes from different places and each places it goes it looses a life. Until finally the cat finds another cat and knows that it is home....finally.
Mckenzie Koch
This book has very good illustrations on every page. The illustrations give life to the story and allow the student/reader to see the story rather than just imagine the story in their head. The illustrations take the story from being an average story to a good story.
Amanda
Apr 08, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, fantasy
This book has a unique twist because it is actually two stories in one. The text and bigger pictures are one story and the smaller pictures are another. I love how after you read this story and realize that there are hidden messages within, it makes you want to go back through and understand what you missed. This is a great book to show the students the important of studying the illustrations within the story because it tells beyond what the text says.
Rhica
Feb 29, 2016 Rhica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I know I read this as a kid but I found a copy at a local bookstore and bought it.
Great story. Very rewarding ending.
Cordellya Smith
Jul 10, 2014 Cordellya Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations for this book are beautiful. They are more entertaining for small children than the story.
Judy
Feb 25, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pic-books
This book became a favorite of one of my nieces. Whenever I see this title, I think of her in her sleeper, holding her pink silky blanket. When we read this, once wasn't enough. We'd get to the end and she'd flip it over and announce, "Again!" She liked to look for Comet and the lighthouse keeper on each page. Her favorite was the one with the health officer who cries, "Furball! Feline residues! Maximum infractions!" She giggled every time. (I always used a gruff angry voice so the words sounded ...more
Suz
Feb 13, 2015 Suz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful pictures. The story is a bit odd.
Sgivens
Loved the graphics but it was a pretty cruel story. Poor cat lost 8 of his 9 lives in just a few days. At least the poor thing had a happy ending to his bad luck!
Matt Maguda
Sep 16, 2012 Matt Maguda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Comet's Nine Lives is by far my favorite childrens book of all time. Back when I was in elementary school, I used to read is book all the time. Almost every week when we were sent to pick out a book, this is the one that I chose. For my 14th birthday, my mom bought me it kind of like a joke gift, but I loved it. I've probably read this book a thousand times and it never gets old. I think that all parents should read their child this book because its just a fun and light hearted book about a cat ...more
K.C.
Mar 28, 2016 K.C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C
Sarah Stumphf
Sep 07, 2014 Sarah Stumphf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really cute book about a certain cat and going through it's nine lives.
Audra
I chose this book because my daughter's Junior Kindergarten class is doing an author study on Jan Brett. I honestly can say I'm not in love with this story, but it does have some beautiful illustrations. It's about a cat who encounters eight of his nine lives on Nantucket Island. It's a very basic story, but the illustrations lead me to believe that Nantucket is a wonderful place to visit.
Nik
Mar 05, 2015 Nik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's The Name o...: Picture book about a cat and its 9 lives-SOLVED [s] 3 15 Jul 21, 2013 01:20PM
  • The Valentine Bears
  • Grandfather Twilight
  • The Old Meadow
  • The Golden Book of Fairy Tales
  • Strega Nona Takes a Vacation
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Baloney (Henry P.)
  • The Firefighters' Busy Day
  • The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings
  • The Day Tiger Rose Said Goodbye
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
  • Amelia's Road
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme
More about Jan Brett...