Start by marking “Christmas Treasury” as Want to Read:
Christmas Treasury

Christmas Treasury

Enjoy a multicultural celebration of the Christmas spirit with the renowned Jan Brett. This stellar volume holds seven of Jan Brett's gorgeous tales, all perfectly suited for the holiday. The Mitten, The Wild Christmas Reindeer, Trouble with Trolls, The Twelve Days of Christmas, The Hat, Christmas Trolls, and The Night Before Christmas all offer a warm retreat for family r ...more
Published September 24th 2001 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Treasury

Kathryn
Dec 08, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Scandinavian art and hedgehogs!

This contains SEVEN of her stories, so if you are a big fan and want to have all the books in one place and maybe save some money off individually ordering, this is a great way to go.

"The Mitten"--Very, very cute little Christmas critters, beginning with a mouse and moving up to a bear, all try to fit into a little boy's lost mitten. I did find it a bit sad that they couldn't stay there, though.

"The Wild Christmas Reindeer"--I think this is one of her most popular tales. I liked it okay--a good
Christine
I borrowed this one from the library, but before I even finished reading all the stories with my son, I knew this would be a great book to have in our own collection. I'm looking forward to revisiting these stories in the future, and not necessarily just at Christmastime. While a few are clearly Christmas tales, others are more winter-themed. A beautifully illustrated collection of picture books.
Corinne
Jan 06, 2017 Corinne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, kids, own
Some of my favorite Christmas stories all in one place. The book is large for little ones though.
Jenny
Dec 03, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
Carrie Dalby
Dec 24, 2016 Carrie Dalby rated it it was amazing
One of my family's favorite read aloud books. Great collection.
Jessica Judd
Apr 08, 2011 Jessica Judd rated it it was amazing
Jan Brett’s Christmas Treasury is a compilation of seven of Jan Brett’s books. It includes The Mitten, The Wild Christmas Reindeer, Trouble with Trolls, The Twelve Days of Christmas, The Hat, Christmas Trolls, and The Night Before Christmas. Many of the stories are centered around a common Christmas theme and include many foreign lands. These stories are full of beautiful illustrations. They are favorites and would be perfect for frequent read-alouds.

Instructional Ideas:

Sequencing: With the mit
Linda
Nov 28, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
This book is truly a treasury of wintry tales; having thus written, I much prefer the individual books just because they are easier for little hands to hold. And what I really like are the "hardboard" editions so that little ones can easily handle the books without fear of torn pages. (I don't know what you call them actually - hardboard might be a made-up word; when I was little they were cloth books and I can still remember the joy in owning one or two. Today one can find them as 'hardboards') ...more
Jan 16, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is both my children's favourite Christmas book, so loved in fact, that I have to hide it until December 1st every year and sneak it away after Christmas! The illustrations are incredible, particularly in the story "Trouble with Trolls" and "Christmas Trolls", where there is a sub story running through the beautiful illustrations at the bottom of each page. Buy it for your own children, or gift it to another family - it will become an integral part of Christmas for years to come.
Suzanne Warr
Dec 03, 2013 Suzanne Warr rated it it was amazing
How can you not love 'The Mitten', or 'The Hat'? When you add in the delightful 'Christmas Trolls' and other stories, this book is an easy winner. And I love the way the bigger size allows the side panel illustrations to really pop! Full spotlight (with the cat's take) here. :)
Olivia
Nov 21, 2015 Olivia rated it really liked it
This book is huge and eye catching. It would be the perfect family gift. Some of the stories are traditional Christmas tales and others, like The Mitten, are winter classics. There are some stories about trolls that might confuse kids without knowledge of Scandinavian traditions. Also prepare for a slow read so that children can thoroughly inspect the designs on the edges.
♠ Tabi ♠
Oct 24, 2014 ♠ Tabi ♠ rated it it was amazing
Every Christmas this comes out to be read, read-aloud, and talked about. It's a Christmas tradition in my family. Beautiful illustrations, wonderful stories, and holiday cheer all-around in this collection.
Jess
Sep 20, 2008 Jess rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 1-4th grade
If you are a Jan Brett fan, this is a great way to keep all of her Christmas stories. The Mitten and others are all included. I love having it, but it is really big and heavy. I don't let my kids look at it unless I'm right there with them.
Cathy Blackler
Dec 25, 2012 Cathy Blackler rated it liked it
Nice collection of Brett's classic holiday tales including Her retelling of The Mitten. Her signature illustrations work especially well with tales of winter and winter holidays.
Carrie
Dec 12, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
We've accumulated a bunch of Christmas coffee table books, but this is the one that always gets pulled out and looked at.
Hannah
Feb 21, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
This book brings back so many memories of when I was little (: My Nana would always read me these stories around Christmas and to think of it whenever I asked her to.
Ronda
Dec 20, 2008 Ronda rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
One of my favorites for Christmas reading, especially the illustrations for Night Before Christmas. Includes The Hat and The Mitten.
Kristyn
Jan 28, 2008 Kristyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
Has a large collection of all of her wonderful books with her beautiful illustrations. A favorite snuggle book in December.
Shari
Jul 29, 2008 Shari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, 2006, christmas
This book includes The Mitten, The Wild Christmas Reindeer, Trouble with Trolls, The Twelve Days of Christmas, The Hat, Christmas Trolls, and The Night Before Christmas.
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2012
Cws
Jan 13, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: holiday-books
HC-Bre
Meredith Miller
Meredith Miller rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2011
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2008
A Roc
A Roc rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2011
Bonny
Bonny rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2015
Sheri L.
Sheri L. rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Kathleen Bergin Johnson
Kathleen Bergin Johnson rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2016
Kendra
Kendra rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Melissa Garcia
Melissa Garcia rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • The Night of Las Posadas
  • Holly Claus: The Christmas Princess
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Cross-Country Cat
  • Angelina's Christmas
  • Cobweb Christmas: The Tradition of Tinsel
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme
More about Jan Brett...