Start by marking “Hedgie's Surprise” as Want to Read:
Hedgie's Surprise

Hedgie's Surprise

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  688 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Jan Brett's beloved character Hedgie stars in this charming story about a little Tomten who gets tired of porridge for breakfast and starts stealing Henny's eggs. But Henny wants a brood of chicks and she needs her eggs. With the help of clever Hedgie, she substitutes an acorn, a strawberry, a mushroom and finally a potato in her nest. But nothing stops that Tomten until t ...more
Published September 11th 2000 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hedgie's Surprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hedgie's Surprise

Kathryn
Dec 29, 2008 Kathryn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hedgehog fans
2 Stars for the Story--Four Stars for the Illustrations.
SPOILERS:
Okay, how could I not love a story where a hedgehog is the hero of the tale!? Go, Hedgie!!! But, however cute Hedgie and Henny might be, the tale left me a bit annoyed. I'm not clear what the "moral" of the story is (aside from helping one's friends) because the naughty elf that keeps stealing Henny's eggs (and is eventually thwarted by Hedgie) doesn't seem to suffer more than a prick when Hedgie pretends to be an egg at the end. B
Lindsay Fischer
Jan Brett displays great friendship in her story Hedgie’s Surprise. Henny lays an egg, only to have them stolen by the greedy Tomten. Henny didn’t mind until she saw a goose with all her babies. She wants to have her own babies too. When she is crying over her dilemma, Hedgie comes by and offers to help. Hedgie agrees to come up with a plan to trick Tomten into not stealing Henny’s eggs.
The faces in the illustrations deeply convey the emotions and motives of the characters. Henny and Hedgie’s
Sarah Hannon
Personal Response- I like this book very much because the story is engaging and illustrations enhance the story. For example, the troll's, Tomten, facial expression and excitement when he gets an egg or when he gets a strawberry. This story is unique in that the book illustrations allow for each page to have a border that looks like stitching. It is a nice aesthetically pleasing touch to the illustrations.

Purposes: 1st grade
Read aloud for enrichment
-With this story, the children can learn that s
Miriam

The story was more like a low 3-star but Brett's illustrations are lovely as always.
Dolly
Jan 21, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
Whenever we read one of Jan Brett's books, we are sure to look for any hidden (or obvious) hedgehogs in the illustrations and the borders of the illustrations. It's become a bit of a treasure hunt for us. Our girls have loved hedgehogs ever since they got to pet one at a local library event featuring a wild animal rescue center. They are certainly adorable! So when we saw that Hedgie had his own series of books, we certainly wanted to check them out.

Overall, however, we weren't all that thrille
Fibersian
Another wonderful Jan Brett book. A naughty little elf steals Henny's egg every morning. She is tired of this. Hedgie the Hedgehog has a plan to help her out.

Hedgie is a classic recurring Jan Brett character so as you read these books the character is familiar in traits. Brett's border illustrations help tell the story. This emphasizes the sense of story and encourages prediction.
Alexandra
Very cute story. And the title was adorable when you figured out just what Hedgie's surprise was. It was a very prickly one! So freaking cute how he helped out his hen friend. I love books like this where animals help each other out and succeed. ♥
Angela
Throughout SK, my son kept coming home and telling me about Hedgie, a character in a story his class was frequently read either by their teacher or their librarian. This year, he is in Grade 1 and has the privilege of signing books out of the school library and bringing them home - his first choice was "Hedgie". I was so excited to finally be able to sit down with him and read this book for myself.

I can see why he loves it. I love Jan Brett and this met my expectations. Lovely illustrations and
Brittany
I considered this book - ok. I think that as a read aloud, kids might like the pridiction aspect of the book and therefore like it; but this story like wasn't anything outstanding to me. As usual, Bret's artwork is one of a kind, beautiful, and fun. One small opinion about the pictures is that the boy in the story is evil looking and a little scary. Like the mitten it includes a border in which upcoming pages and past pages are described. That all being said, I would most likely use this as a wh ...more
Miri
A little Tomten steals miss hen's eggs every morning for his breakfast and so the hen has no chicks of her own, but with the help of a clever hedgehog they can outwit the Tomten!
Tonya
This was the book that kick started my class! The kids really seemed to love it. I liked that it was sequential enough that I could turn it into an oral retelling.
As usual, Jan Brett's artwork is beautiful along with an engaging story. Poor Henny is having her eggs stolen everyday and Hedgie devises a plan to help Henny hide her eggs and teach the Tomten not to steal them. The author managed to convey why Henny wanted to keep her eggs in a very subtle way that children will understand without having to be hit over the head with a biology lesson. My 8 year old said that he loved the book because of the animals and the illustrations. He also noted that he t ...more
Lisa Carroll
In my opinion, Jan Brett can do no wrong. This wonderful picture book had an entertaining story line and amazing artwork as usual. Through her words and fully detailed pictures, her stories truly come alive. My son adored the naughty tomten and we couldn't wait until we saw the antics that Hedgie and the Chicken came up with to thwart the tomten's plans. We recveived this amazing book a few years ago as a gift and enjoy it still. Brett's artwork is so entertaining that you feel as though you are ...more
Mary Sesar
This book is about a hen who keeps getting her little eggs stolen for food. She so badly wants little baby chicks so her and the hedgehog come up with ideas that would replace her eggs with other objects the fellow could eat. He kept coming back wanting her precious eggs so one morning Hedgie got in the hens nest and when the fellow reached in to grab an egg, he grabbed a porcupine instead!
This would be a great book to help teach children to try and solve their own problems. Together Henny and H
Trish
Feb 05, 2014 Trish rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014, je
This is a cute book.
Katie Pszczola
Love Jan Brett books! I used this book in a beginning middle and end lesson in a second grade classroom. We were able to focus on the details that describe the beginning, middle, and end. The students loved this book, especially because we would compare and contrast with another Jan Brett story. A story like this can always be used to reinforce sequencing because there is an order of specific things that happen throughout the plot. Another great story to also use for a friendship story.
Destiny Dawn Long
I love Brett's illustrations--she's got such a beautiful style and all of the detailing is lovely. There is a lot to talk about in the pictures. And I love the side bar images that show reactions.

However, the story was a bit tedious after a while. We borrowed it because we love "The Hat" so much and were excited to see another book with Hedgie. But this story felt much longer than "The Hat." It also felt a lot darker. The Tomten was a little scary, and definitely malicious looking.
Jane G Meyer
I love Jan Brett's books, and I do have an undying love for hedgehogs. Actually saw one once in England, and he truly (or she) ducked under a real hedge. It was one of those moments in life :)

Anywho, this book with all the sneaking of eggs and the Tomten with his sort of angry face isn't my favorite. I like that Hedgie can help poor silly Henny, and I like that the Tomten gets to try out some new cuisine, but, what is a tomten anyway? Need to go and look that fellow up...

Jessica Bennett
So cute! This story is about Henny who wants to have chicks, but Tomten keeps eating her eggs. Then, Henny and Hedgie decide to stop him by tricking him! This book is great for predictions because you can ask what the surprise would be or what will Tomten find next. Also, this book shows problem/solution well because the problem is that Henny wants to have chicks, but her eggs get eaten and the solution is that Tomten finds something else to eat!
Kelly
I love Jan Brett's artistic style. The way her pages are illustrated is clever and delightful- review of what happened on the left, foreshadow of what's to come on the right.
Carol
Ages 3-7 years can enjoy this Scandinavian-type folktale, but it could delight all ages with its charming illustrations where pages are bordered by needlepoint designs. The expressions on both animals and humans draw readers into the setting. The colorful detail adds much to the simple tale where Henny wants baby chicks and is able to have them thanks to Hedgie;s surprise.
Leslee
A hen always gets her eggs taken from a little boy and Hedgie the hedgehog decides to help the hen. Every day he puts something different under the hen- acorn, potato, etc... until one day he puts himself under the hen and the little boy gets a huge surprise! Hedgie and hen together taught the boy a lesson and the hen was able to have her eggs hatch.
Marcia
May 29, 2011 Marcia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-2,
Recommended to Marcia by: Nancy
This week's choice with the kindergarten (thanks, Nancy!) who await the hatching of their classroom eggs. True Jan Brett formula-with meticulous illustrations, borders and adorable animal characters. The K's liked the tomten and the little surprises as Hedgie worked to outsmart the sneaky thief. Delightful!
Tiffany
This book is a story about friendship between the characters. Hedgie needs to figure out how to keep her eggs. Again, Jan Brett's illustrations are beautiful and will capture young childrens attention. Some activities you could do with this book are to connect it with a farm unit
Linda Costello
Tomten steals the hen's eggs every morning. Hedgie helps the hen to trick him every morning so that she can keep her eggs. The final trick is when Hedgie hides in the hen's nest. When Tomten feels the prickly hedgehog he runs away... never to return.
Maya
I love Jan Brett's style! The little extra pictures that help tell the story and all the needlepoint illustrations--warms this crafter's heart! My kids love this story--especially hedgie's surprise toward the end! this great simple story telling.
Tricia
Tired of having her eggs stolen by a sneaky Tomten, Henny and her friend Hedgie create a clever series of events to cease the thievery. My children love Jan Brett's art and dlivery of folk stories and this title was no exception.
Laura Madsen
Beautiful illustrations with fascinating details (as in all of Jan Brett's books) and a very sweet story about a friendship between a hen and a (super-cute) hedgehog.
Alexis
All of Jan Brett's books are amazing if only for her illustrations. Detailed, rich, and colorful. The stories themselves could use some depth, but I still love them.
Jim
my favouritwe Jan Bett, so far. a hedgehog and a hen team up to get an annoying boy. 6 star book. the illos couldn't be better or more interesting.
buy it
  • Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move
  • The Sun Egg
  • Mooseltoe
  • An Extraordinary Egg
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme
More about Jan Brett...
The Mitten The Hat Gingerbread Baby The Wild Christmas Reindeer Town Mouse, Country Mouse