4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  29 reviews
When Owly asks his mother question after question about the world, she finds just the right ways to help him find the answers.
Published March 1st 1998 by Walker Childrens (first published January 1st 1982)

Amanda
This book is adorable. I think it predates Guess How Much I Love You and I prefer it over that one. Baby Owl is curious and asks lots of questions like "How many stars are there?" and "How far is the sky?" which seem like questions most little kids would ask. His mother's answer is "go look" and he finds it's a much harder question than he anticipated. I found it charming and beautiful without being overly commercialized like Guess How Much I Love You.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I had thought that I was requesting the graphic novel Owly by but apparently ordered this instead. Not a bad mistake- the story is very very sweet. It would make a nice bedtime read for young children since it's short and has a bit of a repetitive refrain. Given that the illustrations are by David Wiesner, they're rather unremarkable. The execution of technique is very nice and the soft almost cartoony characters that maintain a serious tenderness are nice. The design of the book is quite ho-hum...more
Cindy
Owly
In this picture book, there is a warm story about the owly and his mother. The small owly always likes to ask question to his mother. Maybe he is a questioning owly. He has many questions in his mind. One day, he asked his mother ‘’How many stars are in the sky?’’, and his mother told him to count it by himself. After he counted the stars in the sky, he told to his mother, the stars are more than he could count. The next night, the small owly asked his mother about another question ‘’How hig...more
Sarah Sammis
My son has been interested in owls since he was 18 months old.

Really sweet book about a son's curiosity and his mother's gentle encouragement.
Dolly
Jun 14, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about the infinite wonder of nature and our love for one another. The baby owl is so curious and his mama allows him to explore on his own to find out the answers for himself. The repetitive narrative is likely to be soothing for young children. The story is quite similar to Guess How Much I Love You, but I think we all liked this one better.

I thought it was fascinating that David Wiesner is the illustrator. The illustrations are very nicely detailed, but they do not really...more
Melody Wolen
Reading Level: pre-K and up, very simple words
Owly is an adorable book about an owl and his mother, Owly is inquisitive and has many questions about the world around him and his patient mother always responds. Owly is great inspiration for Mother’s Day, as a teacher you could introduce this and several other books with the same theme to give kids inspiration for Mother’s Day cards.
Ashley Whiteley
I would say that this book is not meant for little children. It is not colorful and the story line is more serious. The pictures are simple and it is a good story. It is a calming book and might be good for a bedtime story!
Tamara
I didn't have this one as a kid. I picked it up at a used bookstore because of the soft, subdued illustrations caught my eye and it seemed like a sweet story. It is sweet, and reading it with my son is enjoyable because of the pictures and the cadence of the story (great for bed time). The metaphors seem a bit of a stretch for little ones, but maybe it's laying groundwork for future understanding.
Julie
The book I save from childhood.
Mariel
This book still almost makes me cry. It's one my momma used to read to me all the time when I was a kid. It's about this little inquisitive owl that asks lots of questions and ends up counting lots of stuff. Then his momma tells him she loves him more than all that stuff he counted. Too cute!!
Rachel
Another book for owl storytime. I'd been wanting to read this one for awhile. The tiny owl is very curious about the world and asks his mother questions about the stars, sky, waves and deepness of the ocean; then he tells her he loves her and they hug. Very cute story.
Diana Pettis
This was a new book that Xander brought home tonight to read to me. I love Mike Thaler books so I was happy to see this one. The connection that Owly has with his mother is what kept me interested in the story.

Guided Reading Level: J, Themes: love, family, exploring
Kat
Similar to "Guess How Much I Love You" in content, but more maternal in nature. None of the one-upmanship (cute though it may be) of the hares. I got a bit misty reading it to my son, so either I'm starting to get overly sentimental or it's actually a really good book.
Rachel
I watched a wonderful storyteller share this - without the book since her copy was damaged - to a mesmerized audience with beautiful gestures & simple changes in her voice for Owly & the mother. Simply amazing & enchanting for sweet moments about love.
Kelci Cox-Griswold
I really enjoyed this book. Owly continually has a question for his mom, and she tries to have him find the answer for himself. I really liked the ending of the book. This book really shows the love between mother and son.
Anna
I picked this up because David Wiesner illustrated it, but the art here is not near the level I would have expected based on Wiesner's other works. It is a sweet little book, but remarkable neither in story nor in pictures.
Brenda Youngerman
This book was my absolutely favorite book to read to my kids when they were little. It captures everything you would ever want to tell a child about how much you can love them.
Brenna
This was a surprising gem. A friend gave me an old used copy that she found at a garage sale. It is so sweet! Bonus: Lucas loves owls
Oznasia
Delightful story about owls, counting the uncountable and most of all—about a mother's love. Good for reading aloud to young children.
C.
Charming little book with Little Owly asking questions of his mother every night. It flows well and was a fun read aloud.
Finny
Mommy says: So sweet. Similar storyline to "Guess How Much I Love You," but different enough to be special and beloved.

Laura5
Read many times over the years with the Bud and Cupcake, but re-read today.
A classic for the toddler/pre-school set
Josh
A sweet and lovable early work from David Wiesner. Interesting to see how he's progressed.
Emilie
One of the most lovely, meaningful books of my childhood.
bookme4life
One of my favorite books as a young child.
Misty
Graphic novels with no words. Cute stories.
Annalee
Would make a great shower gift. Love it.
Brooke
Mar 17, 2010 Brooke added it
great begining reader book.
Peacegal
Cute, if predictable.
Dj Colter
all pics
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin
  • Mooncake
  • Mommy Hugs
  • Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story
  • Brother Sun, Sister Moon: Saint Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Creatures
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • Owly & Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • The Gingerbread Boy
  • Bunny's Noisy Book
  • Bunny My Honey
  • Moses the Kitten
Mike Thaler, born in Los Angeles, started his professional career drawing cartoons for adults. A children's book editor saw one of his cartoon stories in a national magazine and encouraged Mike to try writing for children. His first attempt met with success, and "The Magic Boy" was published in 1961.

Mike has produced over 220 published books and is known as “America’s Riddle King.” He has also bee...more
More about Mike Thaler...
The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1) The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5) The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2) The Gym Teacher From The Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #3) The Substitute Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #15)