Tall

Tall

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  46 reviews
"A must-have title for any children who have ever felt less than enchanted with their diminutive status." - SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL

When you’re a tiny chimp like Bobo, it seems that everyone else is bigger than you. Luckily, Bobo’s pals let him climb on their shoulders to give him a taste of being tall, but what if the little guy clambers too high? In this tale of very few w...more
Board Book, 34 pages
Published February 27th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2005)

Lynn
Perfect picture book for the beginning reader. Charming illustrations propel the story with a minimum of text - and the text is ideal for young readers just putting phonics to work.
Sarah Sammis
picturethisbook.com
As we have seen in his first book Hug, Jez Alborough excels at telling stories with minimal words — just five different words this time, to be exact. And once you look at his beautifully expressive illustrations, you will understand why: his drawings already say so much that there's really no need for words — well OK, just one per page.

In Tall, Bobo the monkey returns, and this time, instead of looking for a hug, he's now trying his best to be, well, tall.

This is a sweet story about how it's ni...more
Christine Ridout
A strikingly simple book with few words that illustrates the complex concept of relativity. The book’s simplicity and charming drawings appeal to children of all developmental levels. Bobo, the baby monkey, has a universal wish: he wants to be tall. So, he climbs atop taller and taller animals--feeling tall on each taller one--until he’s as tall as a giraffe. But Bobo is only tall or small in relation to the animal he's standing next to. The drawings of Bobo gradually gaining height provide an o...more
Marissa Garcia
Children will gleefully exclaim at the antics of Bobo the chimpanzee, who is not at all happy with being small. To remedy his situation, he climbs onto the shoulder of various taller and taller animal friends, until a topple and a tumble that sends Bobo right into Mama’s arms, where he finds that is happy being small.

Much of this title is communicated wordlessly, giving the adult reader a chance to engage in a dialogue with young attendents. The mainly visual story also gives young minds work to...more
Milo P.
Dec 23, 2012 Milo P. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Milo by: Papa got if from the library after seeing Bobo on the cover
I like to Bobo. I remember him from the book, Hug. I like it when his Mama comes and saves him from the fall. When I see him in this book, I want to talk about Hug. I don't really care that he wants to be tall. I just wonder why he would leave his mama again after he needed a hug. I ask my Mama, "Where is Bobo's mama?" My Mama says she is listening for him. But, this is not satisfying for me. I will look at the book with Papa and Mama, but they are the ones who pull it from the book pile.
Lanica
Neat art. Interesting idea. It didn't hold up to its potential. It is too simple, and too complex at the same time. My kids are too small to understand the idea of tall and small. While older kids would likely be put off by the lack of words. It seems like a baby book, but it's too complex for most babies. The animals are cute, but I don't think that's enough to make this book a keeper.
Aimee
I LOVED this book. It's very simple. There are only 5 different words in the entire book, but it would be a great book if you were working on the concept of tall and small. The monkey in the story is adorable, and while walking through the jungle he meets animals that he compares himself to in terms of size. Great pictures, and a great way to introduce the concept of height.
Susan
Featuring the rhyming words: tall, small and fall this largely wordless text illustrates every young child’s need to feel big yet supported by friends and family. Young children will delight in the variety of tales you can spin with these illustrations and the discussion generated as they tell their own version of the story.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Libby
My 23-mo-old son really liked this. I think it would be great for a child who can't sit through much text, as there is hardly any and the pictures are cute. I definitely got bored reading it over and over, but if my son likes it, that's why I'm reading it, right?
Kelly
Illustrated by the author. A nearly wordless picture book comparing "tall" and "small". I'll be using it for my "Start with Math" program and I think kids will like it. The illustrations are quite sweet and all the animals seem friendly :)
Amanda
This is a fun book for my 3 1/2 y/o because there are only 4 words (maximum, no joke) in the whole thing and he can read them all. It's also a concept he's familiar with- being small next to many who are tall. Fun for early readers.
June
Jul 31, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: monkey & size requests
A little chimp wants to be tall and keeps getting higher & higher, until he falls. I had a small, young crowd, but several were taken with the pictures of the animals. 8/15/12

Used again this year for my monkey lap time.
Shannon
A sweet enough concept book. I'm glad that Bobo is comfortable being small by the end of the book.
Shelli
Jez Alborough makes the most simple yet fantastic picture books for early readers or listeners. This adorable book only features 5 different words yet the characters personalities come through with each page.
Mary
A series of illustrations and very few words ("small," "tall") carry the story in this book, and though it's a good concept for beginning readers, I find it tiresome to "read" stories without words.
Jeannie
Adorable illustrations to help with concepts of perspective, tall, and short. The pictures do most of the talking with only 5 different words in the story.

Tracy
This is another almost wordless picture book, and it shows the difference between small and tall. I agree, that it is a good beginning to read book. Plus the pictures are fun.
Megan
Darling book. We had a good conversation about being "big enough" and how your friends can help you be a "bigger person." I don't think Andrew got much out of it, but I loved it.
Kelly
Great for beginning readers. The limited words allows the children to add their own observations to the story. A great picture book for anyone who has ever felt short.
Gloria Berger
Jul 05, 2011 Gloria Berger added it
Shelves: animals
This book had more pictures than words but it was fun. This would be a book for a beginning reader. It could also be used as an introduction to big and small.
Ubalstecha
A very sweet book about relative sizes and accepting the size you are. Simple three word text and lots of repetition makkes this a hit with little kids.
Autumn
This book have only a few words so my 5-year old could read it herself. Cute story and the illustrations are great too! Loved it!
Kid
Miles (3.5) loves this book. I got it from the library and he wanted it every night for a week. Funny and sweet.
Inspired Kathy
Another great Alborough book. My kids love Bobo. Only 5 words in this book and my young ones love to "read" it.
Linda
Cute story about being the right size. A great story to share with your favorite toddler/preschooler.
Gary Masskin
Puts the old adage "be careful what you wish for" into practice. The resolution could have been stronger.
Leah
Perfect picture book for young readers. One word sentences. Great illustrations!
Shallowreader VaVeros
Ever so cute. And a great learn to read primer for basic words small/tall/fall
  • Ah Ha!
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Someday
  • Monkey And Me
  • Mine!
  • Big, Bigger, Biggest!
  • Super Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #2)
Jez Alborough is the author-illustrator of the picture-book charmer HUG, his first book about Bobo. He has also created many other celebrated books for children, including SOME DOGS DO — a story about a dog who can fly — and the best-selling Eddie and the Bear books: WHERE'S MY TEDDY?, IT'S THE BEAR!, and MY FRIEND BEAR. Of TALL, he says, "Bobo experiences feeling small as well as feeling tall, bu...more
More about Jez Alborough...
Hug Where's My Teddy? Duck in the Truck Some Dogs Do It's the Bear!