Detroit Noir

Detroit Noir (Akashic Noir)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  23 reviews

From crime stories in the classic hard-boiled style to the vividly experimental, from the determination of those risking everything to the desperation of those with nothing left to lose, Detroit Noir delivers unforgettable tales that capture the city’s dark vitality.

Includes stories by: Joyce Carol Oates, Loren D. Estleman, Craig Holden, P.J. Parrish, Desiree Cooper, Nis

Published November 1st 2007 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Detroit Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detroit Noir

Detroit by Charlie LeDuffDetroit City Is the Place to Be by Mark BinelliMiddlesex by Jeffrey EugenidesThe Slave Across the Street by Theresa FloresThe Detroit True Crime Chronicles by Scott M Burnstein
Detroit
9th out of 102 books — 17 voters
Brooklyn Noir by Tim McLoughlinLong Island Noir by Kaylie JonesD.C. Noir by George PelecanosKansas City Noir by Steve PaulBoston Noir by Dennis Lehane
Akashic Noir Collections
28th out of 57 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

THE
In 2004, the small New York publisher Akashic launched a very clever series of books emphasizing original noir fiction associated with particular cities and regions. It has now reached at least 41 with many more on the way. Every place has its dark side--some more than others--but the idea was attractive to those of us who wished to see their hometowns or favorite sites cast within the noir genre. I guess it is no mystery what my hometown was or why I might be interested in some of my former ven...more
David
Deciding between three and four stars on this one is tough. Admittedly, I don't read a whole lot of short story compilations. This must have been my first in about a decade.

That said, I really got into three quarters of the stories. While the setting was always somewhere in the Detroit area, the time changed with each story. Figuring out when the story was taking place was a fun task parallel with enjoying the story.

I'm not certain if it's a fault of the stories themselves, or of the length of t...more
Kirk
A collection of short stories about my hometown. Overall, it was hit or miss: some were quite good, others were not. For me the most interesting aspect of this book is seeing the commonalities across stories, which I think really speaks to the culture of the city. Sadly, Detroit's authors define the city through pervasive awareness of racial and class divides and a constant sense of destitution and decay. I moved away from Detroit eight years ago, and this book reminded me of the many problems s...more
Patrick C.
This is my first book in the Noir Series from Akashic Noir, and I enjoyed it. The short stories from a variety of writers, most with ties to Detroit go well beyond the mystery genre, but they all capture a sense of Detroit....

I'll miss having these short stories at hand for the quick diversionary read.

I'll definitely look into other books in this series.
Patty
Some wonderful short stories that all take place somewhere in Detroit. The collection of writers were all from Detroit and included some noteables....Loren Estleman, Joyce Carol Oates, Craig Holden, Desiree Cooper from NPR, and my favorite, Michael Zadoorian. A great accumulation of memories of what Detroit used to be and the complex reality of what is today.
Heather
This is a collection of unrelated short stories, and I just generally have a harder time reading these kinds of books. However it was very interesting to read about Detroit, with familiar landmarks involved. The stories were pretty good, and all had some definite "noir" undertones.
Joan
Many of these stories could take place in any city, however the ones that apply to Detroit are wonderful like the Motown story. I wanted to know more about the characters and stories at the end of each short story. This book does not really allow to reader to know Detroit.
Marcy Heller
Great writers whose stories may entice as they're set in places such as Palmer Woods, Grosse Pointe, and the freeways and streets we know, but such dismal, dark and hopeless stories. There's a whole series of these short-story collections set in many cities--too bad.
Whikmn
Interesting info about Detroit in the intro, going from the great city it once was to a virtual ghost town. The short stories give you a real flavor for the city.
Jen
interesting read - lots of short stories with different perceptions on the detroit of the past and the present - specific to intersections and neighborhoods
George
As with any anthology your going to have some hits and some misses. The Craig Bernier and Roger K. Johnson stories are definite highlights...
Steve Larson
Born and bred so it was very touching. Detroit is a tough place and the stories here highlight the goods and bands of such an environment.
Kirsten
May 26, 2009 Kirsten rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Native Detroiters - Fans of noir fiction
Recommended to Kirsten by: Browsing at Borders
Shelves: fiction
I really liked many of the stories in this book, others were bearable. Always - enjoy the local backdrop when you can get it.
Woody
The retro stories suggest that no one saw the demise of the American auto industry or else they were in deep denial.
Chris Tolen
Great short detective stories set in Detroit. As the title implies, this IS noir!
Kiah
Exploring the dark streets of Detroit Rock City through short story noir....
Christine
Many of these stories are NOT noir. Disappointing collection.
kelly
Enjoyed reading these short stories from local authors

Good read
Jay
Some stories are excellent. The majority, however, are not memorable.
Dee L.
Grim but true to the real struggles of Detroit.
Schip
Interesting compilation, mediocre writing.
Stephanie
I'll be checking out more of these!!!
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Angelica Penteado
Angelica Penteado marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Shalonne Plummer
Shalonne Plummer marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Holly Booms Walsh
Holly Booms Walsh marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014