Start by marking “Support Your Local Wizard (Young Wizards, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Support Your Local Wizard (Young Wizards, #1-3)

Support Your Local Wizard (Young Wizards #1-3)

Support Your Local Wizard (So You Want to Be a Wizard, Deep Wizardry, High Wizardry) (Hardcover). Diane Duane (Author)
Published 1990 by Guild America Books

To ask other readers questions about Support Your Local Wizard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Support Your Local Wizard

sj
Originally posted here as part of the 30 Day Book Challenge (and Diane Duane totally commented!).

Wow.  I sure am doing a lot of talking about the things I loved to read as a kid, aren't I?  In an effort not to repeat myself, PRETEND I NEVER SAID any of the others were my favourites, 'kay?  JUST PRETEND!  We're also going to go ahead and acknowledge that I've done all the talking about Tolkien I'm likely to do for a while (if you somehow missed it, check out this linkapalooza), so now I have to f
Siisso
Jan 17, 2016 Siisso rated it really liked it
Beyond the various fact-induced tales, fantasy is the fulcrum of all fiction. A sensibility linking creatures to creators by virtue of narration—the be all and end all relation between the two; albeit sometimes the traditional meaning is superseded by genre-lisation from the same. Better yet, a world venerated enough to generate pensy regards—Muggles alike. The world of magic, witches, and wizards.

Equal to latent talents, magic presents itself at the right moment. Calling finally meeting inten
Greg
Jun 28, 2009 Greg rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any teenagers interested in fantasy fiction
Another teen/YA fantasy novel that my kids have enjoyed and asked me to read. As usual, I like to have a sense of what they are reading (to provide guidance and an occasional intervention LOL), so I thought I'd take a look. Its actually quite good, a cut above most teen fantasy fiction, even those I have enjoyed. The writing style is similar to other good ones I've seen, but what I loiked most is the creativity of the author. There were times when it rocked me back how inventive she was. She eve ...more
Jan 30, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
I knew this was an omnibus when I bought it. I also know that I'd like to give a copy of these books to my nieces and nephews once they get old enough to read fantasy.

I first discovered Diane Duane's writing when I read some of her Star Trek novels which I was a teenager. As an adult, I discovered her Wizard books.

I liked the first two books in this omnibus the most. They cover Deep Wizardry and So You Want to Be a Wizard. I found them timeless.

Unfortunately, High Wizardry didn't survive the pas
Matt Randall
Aug 21, 2010 Matt Randall rated it it was amazing
Isaac
Sep 13, 2010 Isaac rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff, urban-fantasy, ya
This was one of my growing up books, grabbed the anthology upon Mother's suggestion at least a decade ago.

Functional Magic. Epic morality. Inspiration for some of my own views on ethics and eternal sacrifice. Honestly, some of the things are a little obvious (the girl gets nature association, the boy gets machine associations).

Unlike certain friends, I never noticed the racial thing at the time, and I loved the Ascended Fanboy components. The whole frameworks just makes sense, the writing is wel
Becca
Mar 28, 2008 Becca rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Becca by: my bro
Harry Potter--HA! I have had this book for over 10 years. I read it every year! When my husband and I swapped books for the first time I gave him this gem(can't believe I said that). He doesn't like stories of this sort, but it is such a favorite of mine that he needed to know it. This has three books in it that are now sold separately. If I'm not mistaken this format--an omnibus edition of SO YOU WANT TO BE A WIZARD?, DEEP WIZARDRY, and HIGH WIZARDRY--is out of print. My copy is haggard and wor ...more
Posicat
Dec 22, 2008 Posicat rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books ever, it's a wonderful story. It seemlessly weaves together science and magic, and through the sheer genius of Diane Duane makes it not only feel believable, but real as well. It's a story of two kids, who travel together on a mission to save the world, beyond that I won't spoil the story. It's amazing, and should be read on paper, after taking a deep breath and breathing in the smell of the paper. Not only does the story draw you in, but it shows an alternate way of loo ...more
Matt
Aug 10, 2010 Matt rated it liked it
I remembered really liking this book when I was younger and recently picked up a copy. I read the first book (this is an omnibus edition with the first three books in the series) and was kind of disappointed that it wasn't as good as I remembered, and no where near as good as Harry Potter.

That being said, Fred is a remarkably cool character. I'll probably go back soon and finish the other two books in the omnibus, mostly because I remember there being a really cool shark in "Deep Wizardry."
Suzanne
Jun 04, 2011 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
I bought this beaten up book (with torn pages & no bookcover) at a garage sale for like 10 cents when I was in Jr High & it has always been on of my favorites. It was actually the first wizard/magic book I ever read. I remember thinking 'that is so awesome I wish I was a wizard' lol.
Even if you can't remember the specifics, you always remember how a good book made you feel :)
Scott
Jul 08, 2016 Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
I've only read the first book of this omnibus, but I wanted to shelve the edition that I actually read. It was okay, and I hadn't yet gone through my children's book resurgence, so maybe I'd enjoy it more now.
Izzy
Oct 08, 2011 Izzy rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, urban-fantasy
I hadn't read the book for about 15 years, and was surprised by the strength of the climax and symbolism in So You Want To Be a Wizard.

Sadly, I couldn't stay interested enough to read the rest of the books.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 26, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Nita Callahan began involved with magic by accident. Hiding from some bullies at the library she found a book called So You Want to be a Wizard and cast her first spell. This sent her into an alternative Manhattan.
Shay
Jul 18, 2014 Shay rated it really liked it
Wow. Awesome ending for the third. Mind blown. I really hated that (view spoiler)spoiler end. Continuing on, amazing. I loved it!
Mel
Feb 01, 2008 Mel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids
This is like a Harry Potter book before there was a Harry Potter. I first read this when I was 12 years old and loved it! If you're a fan of magic and science fiction, you'll like this book. It's a great kids book and a fun read.
Laurel
Feb 14, 2016 Laurel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I loved this book (er, collection of books) so much growing up. The characters were realistic, the story was fun, and there was a lot of exciting situations (and let's be real, a lot of sass).
Jan 31, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Among the best young adult fantasy books, period. A complex system of magic put to creative use, with a sense of humor.
Fester McHaggis
Jul 29, 2010 Fester McHaggis rated it it was amazing
SOOOOOOO much better than that Harry Potter series.
Rich
Aug 08, 2008 Rich added it
Shelves: 1-3, young, wizards, omnibus
Young Wizards #1-3 Omnibus
Chris
Nov 03, 2007 Chris rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book that I read for hours on end. I recommend this book to anybody who loves wizardry.
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Norman Howe
Science-Fiction
Impishskald
Impishskald rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Jeremy Odenbrett
Jeremy Odenbrett rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2016
Loni
Loni rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2010
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2009
C.j. Heflin
C.j. Heflin rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2013
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2010
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2008
  • Gunnerkrigg Court Vol. 5: Refine (Gunnerkrigg Court #5)
  • Finder, Vol. 09: Voice
  • Lady of Misrule (Marla Mason, #8)
  • Digger, Volume Five
  • Yu+Me: dream Volume 1
  • Hatrack River (Tales of Alvin Maker, #1-3)
  • Shadow Unit 3: Refining Fire
  • The Three of Swords (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #1-3)
  • Steam-Powered:  Lesbian Steampunk Stories
  • Three Complete Novels: Dragon's Gold / Serpent's Silver / Chimaera's Copper
  • The Raven and the Reindeer
  • Namesake, Volume 1
  • The Lady's Not for Burning
  • Darkmage (Windrose Chronicles, #1-2)
  • The Folk of the Air
  • A Book Dragon
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than thirty years.
Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action and a
More about Diane Duane...

Young Wizards (10 books)
  • So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1)
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3)
  • A Wizard Abroad (Young Wizards, #4)
  • The Wizard's Dilemma (Young Wizards, #5)
  • A Wizard Alone (Young Wizards, #6)
  • Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)
  • Wizards at War (Young Wizards, #8)
  • A Wizard of Mars (Young Wizards, #9)
  • Games Wizards Play (Young Wizards, #10)