Start by marking “My Crayons Talk” as Want to Read:
My Crayons Talk

My Crayons Talk

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Colors, feelings, images, and words jostle and bounce off one another in this lively picture book, creating as much fun as any box of crayons has ever had.
Published March 15th 1999 by Square Fish (first published March 15th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about My Crayons Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Crayons Talk

Jean O'Shea
Oct 05, 2008 Jean O'Shea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers
Shelves: lis565
My Crayons Talk is a silly romp through a box of Crayolas™. The rhyming text be-bops along as the little girl in the story illustrates her feelings about color. The colors sing, chirp and roar, adding implied sensation to the emotional hue. In the classroom or on a home visit, I would extend the book with a conversation about what our crayons say. The illustration and text are always delightful.
Jen H.
"Talk Talk, My crayons talk. Yackity Clackity. Talk Talk. Talk. Purple shouts Yum, Bublegum. Gold brags Fine, Dress up time. White screams Most, scary ghost." Great Read Aloud!!!!
Vivian
After singing our introductory story time songs "The More We Get Together" and "Hello Everybody, Let's..." we announced our upcoming series of programs on baby signing, which led right into asking the children if our elbows talk? our knees talk? our hands talk? (sometimes) and our CRAYONS talk?

I showed them the book and said, "I spy with my little eye something brown that we use to keep dry when it rains." "A crayon!" the children said. Then I said, "I spy with my little eye something that's yel
Csye
The story My Crayon Talk was written by Patricia Hubbard, and Illustrated by Gibran Karas. This children book is about a little girl that wants her crayons to talk. As she encounters each color, she says “talk talk my crayon talk. Yackity clackity talk talk talk.” After she asks her crayon to talk they each say something; Purple shouts, brown sings, blue call, yell chirps, gold brags, silver toots, red roars, green yells, orange asks, black hoots, white screams, and then pink laughs. Each page h ...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

Nothing was wrong with the text or the illustrations, but neither really sparked his interest. It could have been because he was a bit old for this particular book.

Jen Goeden
The book My Crayons Talk is about a little girl who goes throw all her colors and tells you what they say.

The book shape is almost a prefect square and paperback. This book does have end papers and they are crayon drawings, but the front is different from the back one. The book has one title page and a dedication page. The publication information is in back of the book. Also in the back of the book is a note on how the artist made the pictures. The pictures were made by crayons, gouache, acryli
Gaby Roman
I really loved this story, and the illustrations were wonderful. I would use this short story in my classroom when my students are learning about rhyming. I would have the students pick words in the story that rhymed together, or I would already have the words picked out and use it as a small group activity. THe small group activity would be for the students to match which words rhymed together. I may even have my students write their own rhyming sentence and create a picture with it.
Kelly Sommers
This book is about colors. It has fun rhymes to go along with each one. The pictures are very fun. It has a crayon as big as the little girl that is there drawing each scene. It is geared towards 4-8 year olds. I would totally read this to my students in the future. Perfect for a kindergarten classroom. I enjoyed this book and its simpleness.
Mary
This is an excellent book about colors and the things in the world that are those colors. Kids can participate by coming up with their own connections or by recognizing the images on the page. The book is all written in rhyme, which helps with phonological awareness, and the colors are so vibrant that it is an excellent read for young children.
Autumn Yoon
This book is excellent for students who are being introduced to different colors. Each page is dedicated to a color, and a short description. This book would also be relevant to rhyming lessons and rhyming assignments because the book contains a lot of rhyming. The pages are really vibrant and full of wonderful illustrations!
Saashya Rodrigo
I gravitate towards books that involve art, so this book is certainly a keeper for me. I love how imaginative and true it is. Crayons really do talk! And they allow children to talk too- which is why art should not be put on the back burner in schools.
Andrew Perry
This book is great for introducing rhyming words and colors to young students. The vocabulary is very easy to follow along with the the rhyming words provide real world examples of colors like blue sky, red stop signs, and yellow chickens.
Nancy Vu
Great book for learning colors. The colors came with fancy rhyme which make the reading fun. This book help students connect colors to objects in the world. For descriptive pictures and fun rhymes, use this book!
Nicole Holden
I absolutly loved reading this book. This book is very simple to read and very fun to teach COLORS to students. This book has a lot of rhyming words, which makes this book cute and fun to read.
Sammy
I LOVE this book! It is very cute and a creative way for kids to learn their colors! The illustrations are adorable and I would definitely use this book in my classroom!
Takeisha Hannor
I really enjoyed this book. It would be great to teach toddlers colors, rhyming words, and emotions. i think this book address feelings as well as good adverbs.
Irina
This book is all about colors;it is a great book to read when practicing colors with children. It is also a rhyming book, and has great illustrations.
Amanda
Gives sensation words to associate with the different colors. Could be used to do choral reading with a repeated passage through the book.
Thao
- Great for students to learn colors
- Rhyming words
- Connections to world (blue sky, red stop sign, etc.)
- Grades k-2
Wastell Mcneil
Great book for preschoolers! It shows many colors and pictures of the crayons talking. Fun book!
CELO
that she like all the colores and that she saying that her crayons talk
Brenda Pritchard
preschool; rhyming, phonological awareness. Each color crayon has a purpose.
Levi
Fun book about colors. Very colorful. Mommy says its a good toddler book.
Prplpckl
A fun poetic expression of ones imagination with color associations.
Erroll Treslan
Found this gem at our local YMCA and it's great for the 2-3 age set.
Glen
Aug 10, 2011 Glen added it
they won't leave em alone and they keep telling me to do things...
Lisa
A great way to introduce colors- good for ages 2-5
Janaleefish
wonderful imagery for learning colors!
Artlab
Jan 10, 2008 Artlab added it
Shelves: treasure-chest
This Book is Located in the Color Box
Marci
Cute book - my kids loved it ;)
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • Snowmen All Year
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Worms for Lunch?
Trick or Treat Countdown God Gives Me Everything The Outdoor Woman: A Handbook to Adventure