Start by marking “My Crayons Talk” as Want to Read:
My Crayons Talk

My Crayons Talk

Colors, feelings, images, and words jostle and bounce off one another in this lively picture book, creating as much fun as any box of crayons has ever had.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 3/15/1999 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 4 and Up
Published March 15th 1999 by Square Fish (first published March 15th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about My Crayons Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Crayons Talk

Jean O'Shea
Oct 05, 2008 Jean O'Shea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers
Shelves: lis565
My Crayons Talk is a silly romp through a box of Crayolas™. The rhyming text be-bops along as the little girl in the story illustrates her feelings about color. The colors sing, chirp and roar, adding implied sensation to the emotional hue. In the classroom or on a home visit, I would extend the book with a conversation about what our crayons say. The illustration and text are always delightful.
Jen H.
Jul 26, 2008 Jen H. rated it it was amazing
"Talk Talk, My crayons talk. Yackity Clackity. Talk Talk. Talk. Purple shouts Yum, Bublegum. Gold brags Fine, Dress up time. White screams Most, scary ghost." Great Read Aloud!!!!
Melissa Namba
May 13, 2017 Melissa Namba rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnamba
good rhyme scheme, fun concept of personifying the crayons. I think most kids will enjoy this.
Diane
Feb 19, 2017 Diane rated it really liked it
Yellow chirps, "Quick, Baby chick." ... Green yells, "Fun! Watch me run."

Yelim Kwon
Mar 07, 2017 Yelim Kwon added it
Shelves: poetry
1) No Awards
2) Age 4 and up
3) This book is about a girl who wants her crayons to talk.
She made specific sentences for her crayons according to the colors or the feelings.
She uses crayons to draw things that she wants.
4) I liked how each page contains a rhyme of what each crayon is drawing.
Little girl draws things according to her feelings and I liked how they are so creative.
5) Story time, art center
Csye
Mar 02, 2012 Csye rated it it was amazing
The story My Crayon Talk was written by Patricia Hubbard, and Illustrated by Gibran Karas. This children book is about a little girl that wants her crayons to talk. As she encounters each color, she says “talk talk my crayon talk. Yackity clackity talk talk talk.” After she asks her crayon to talk they each say something; Purple shouts, brown sings, blue call, yell chirps, gold brags, silver toots, red roars, green yells, orange asks, black hoots, white screams, and then pink laughs. Each page h ...more
Ashley Salisbury
Feb 15, 2017 Ashley Salisbury rated it really liked it
A very fun read. With fun rhythm and surprising twists and turns.
Vivian
Oct 08, 2012 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
After singing our introductory story time songs "The More We Get Together" and "Hello Everybody, Let's..." we announced our upcoming series of programs on baby signing, which led right into asking the children if our elbows talk? our knees talk? our hands talk? (sometimes) and our CRAYONS talk?

I showed them the book and said, "I spy with my little eye something brown that we use to keep dry when it rains." "A crayon!" the children said. Then I said, "I spy with my little eye something that's yel
Jen Goeden
Mar 04, 2010 Jen Goeden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book My Crayons Talk is about a little girl who goes throw all her colors and tells you what they say.

The book shape is almost a prefect square and paperback. This book does have end papers and they are crayon drawings, but the front is different from the back one. The book has one title page and a dedication page. The publication information is in back of the book. Also in the back of the book is a note on how the artist made the pictures. The pictures were made by crayons, gouache, acryli
Stephanie Herman
Apr 25, 2016 Stephanie Herman rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-childhood
"Talk. Talk. My crayons talk. Yackity. Clackity. Talk. Talk. Talk." - Patricia Hubbard

I really enjoyed this picture book! I'm sure it would be a hit among readers ages 4-7 years. Patricia Hubbard and G. Brian Karas use large crayon illustrations, vibrant colors, goofy scenarios, and a whole lot of imagination to attract readers and keep a smile on their faces the entire time. My Crayons Talk would be a blast to read out loud. I would probably follow it up with a creative art or language activit
Gaby Roman
Oct 13, 2012 Gaby Roman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crayons, rhyming
I really loved this story, and the illustrations were wonderful. I would use this short story in my classroom when my students are learning about rhyming. I would have the students pick words in the story that rhymed together, or I would already have the words picked out and use it as a small group activity. THe small group activity would be for the students to match which words rhymed together. I may even have my students write their own rhyming sentence and create a picture with it.
Autumn Yoon
Jan 09, 2012 Autumn Yoon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601
This book is excellent for students who are being introduced to different colors. Each page is dedicated to a color, and a short description. This book would also be relevant to rhyming lessons and rhyming assignments because the book contains a lot of rhyming. The pages are really vibrant and full of wonderful illustrations!
Kelly Sommers
Oct 01, 2013 Kelly Sommers rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng261
This book is about colors. It has fun rhymes to go along with each one. The pictures are very fun. It has a crayon as big as the little girl that is there drawing each scene. It is geared towards 4-8 year olds. I would totally read this to my students in the future. Perfect for a kindergarten classroom. I enjoyed this book and its simpleness.
Mary
This is an excellent book about colors and the things in the world that are those colors. Kids can participate by coming up with their own connections or by recognizing the images on the page. The book is all written in rhyme, which helps with phonological awareness, and the colors are so vibrant that it is an excellent read for young children.
Saashya Rodrigo
I gravitate towards books that involve art, so this book is certainly a keeper for me. I love how imaginative and true it is. Crayons really do talk! And they allow children to talk too- which is why art should not be put on the back burner in schools.
Dewey
May 11, 2016 Dewey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: st-crayons
As a lover of coloring and crayons, I thought this story was wonderful. Great examples of the creativity and imagination of kids and the kinds of things they think about when they draw pictures, and the illustrations are adorable.
Karen
May 21, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

Nothing was wrong with the text or the illustrations, but neither really sparked his interest. It could have been because he was a bit old for this particular book.

Sara Cook
Feb 26, 2015 Sara Cook rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I was ever able to read by myself. I still remember how much I loved this book growing up. Since then I have graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Fine Art, Studio Arts. A perfect and inspirational book for any budding young artist.
Nancy Vu
Jan 09, 2012 Nancy Vu rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece3601, rhyming, colors
Great book for learning colors. The colors came with fancy rhyme which make the reading fun. This book help students connect colors to objects in the world. For descriptive pictures and fun rhymes, use this book!
Hannah
Feb 01, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was a fun book to read to and definitely one I can see myself using in my classroom to teach rhyming words or colors. I loved how the story was based around the colors talking. It has very vibrant illustrations which I really enjoy when reading children's books.
Andrew Perry
Jan 09, 2012 Andrew Perry rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, rhyming
This book is great for introducing rhyming words and colors to young students. The vocabulary is very easy to follow along with the the rhyming words provide real world examples of colors like blue sky, red stop signs, and yellow chickens.
Sammy
Apr 28, 2011 Sammy rated it really liked it
I LOVE this book! It is very cute and a creative way for kids to learn their colors! The illustrations are adorable and I would definitely use this book in my classroom!
Takeisha Hannor
Jan 10, 2012 Takeisha Hannor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming, colors
I really enjoyed this book. It would be great to teach toddlers colors, rhyming words, and emotions. i think this book address feelings as well as good adverbs.
Levi
Dec 12, 2012 Levi rated it really liked it
Fun book about colors. Very colorful. Mommy says its a good toddler book.
Marci
Apr 30, 2013 Marci rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute book - my kids loved it ;)
Lisa
Mar 20, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
A great way to introduce colors- good for ages 2-5
Erroll Treslan
Jul 27, 2011 Erroll Treslan rated it really liked it
Found this gem at our local YMCA and it's great for the 2-3 age set.
CELO
that she like all the colores and that she saying that her crayons talk
Prplpckl
Apr 22, 2013 Prplpckl rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-anabel
A fun poetic expression of ones imagination with color associations.
Casandria
Aug 25, 2016 Casandria rated it really liked it
A perfect book about how different colors mean specific things.
Colors
  • The Lion and the Little Red Bird
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • White Rabbit's Colors
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Mouse Mess