Start by marking “The Non-Designer's Design & Type Books, Deluxe Edition” as Want to Read:
The Non-Designer's Design & Type Books, Deluxe Edition

The Non-Designer's Design & Type Books, Deluxe Edition

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Design and typographic insights from the author of " "The Non-Designer "s" book series (over 700,000 copies in print!)
This book offers decades of experience from one of the greatest computer book authors. Here in one volume, Robin Williams has joined together a new edition of her classic "The Non-Designer s Design Book" in glorious full color for the first time and her b
Published October 1st 2007 by Peachpit Press

Be the first to ask a question about The Non-Designer's Design & Type Books, Deluxe Edition

Craig Dube
Mar 10, 2014 Craig Dube rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I came across this book as a it was referenced in A Whole New Mind from Daniel Pink (a book I read last year and highly recommend). The version of the book I picked up was actually two books in one; one being The Non-Designer's Design Book and the other being The Non-Designer's Type Book. The first book references design principles to consider when dealing with graphic design (those principles being Contrast, Repetition, Alignment and Proximity). The second book is mostly focused around type set ...more
Jay McNair
Apr 16, 2014 Jay McNair rated it liked it
Shelves: typography
Very useful book. It's mostly concerned with design of things with words on them: books, newsletters, logos, webpages, etc. (which is mostly what I'm interested in). It works really well as a primer, presenting basic concepts of good design clearly and memorably, and innummerable examples illustrate. It's also entertainingly written.

Nicely excoriating of things like weak contrasts, five-space indents, 12-point font sizes, overreliance on centered alignments, common typographic errors, mistrust o
Serge Pierro
Apr 12, 2014 Serge Pierro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, art, writing
While looking for a book as a "refresher" to Graphic Design and Typography, I had come across several reviews recommending this book and I can see why. It is essentially two books in one... one on Graphic Design and the other on Typography. The breadth of the book is quite wide for someone who is just starting out on the aforementioned topics, and I have already recommended it to others that I felt could learn from its teachings. And while it is certainly suitable for beginners, intermediate an ...more
Bucket
Mar 18, 2014 Bucket rated it really liked it
Rules to follow (or break!) in design and typography, explained especially for beginners or those who occasional do design work but aren't really professional designers (e.g. me).

There wasn't really anything here that was a revelation for me, but the way the book is organized is so simple that it actually got me thinking about and reminding myself of the "rules" as I've been designing things, mostly for work. In that way, the book is really well-done; everything is memorable and applicable. Defi
Megan
Aug 19, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
Content wise, this book covers all basics. I learned the necessary skills for my design class from this book. Design wise, this book made me laugh at some of the font choices. The design could be more modern, but the academics are sound.
Lynnae
Apr 19, 2016 Lynnae rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Although the design advice in this book is actually pretty useful, I'd like it a lot better if the book's design wasn't so AWFUL. Ms. Williams should have followed her own advice better.
Manolo Frias
Dec 09, 2015 Manolo Frias rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-design
I read "The Non-designers Design Book" as an ebook on an iPad and I liked it so much that I had to buy the paper edition. Besides, I was so disappointed with the layout of the ebook.

This edition has two books: the above mentioned and the "Non-designer's Type Book", another gem to learn the basics of type.

The problem now is that I know more about design. I now clearly distinguish the flaws of reports, brochures, even maps.

It is a problem because we are surrounded with so much crappy design (my ow
Anna
Jun 27, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
A good, practical guide for beginners who are interested in graphic design. Explains very clearly the basics of good and professional design.
Emily
Apr 16, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I forgot how much I love this book. So many good ideas. Yeah, the worst cover ever, but the inside is beautiful.
Ami
Sep 15, 2011 Ami rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
The author has a really great voice, sassy & clear about artistic instructions. The only unfortunate thing (for me) is that a lot of advice is page layout program-specific, so not having Adobe InDesign or Quark puts the reader at a disadvantage. Also, I noticed in The Non-Designer's Type Book that Williams tended to refer to things in future chapters a lot, which made me feel like I could have benefitted from a second reading. But overall it was fabulous, lots of solid advice and made me fee ...more
Rachel
May 29, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Good, solid introductory advice for those interested in design principles and looking for a way to start thinking critically about them. (Disclaimer: I didn't get to the section on type). WIlliams breaks down most of her words of wisdom into four principles--proximity, repetition, contrast, and alignment--and gets you started learning to keep them in mind as you analyze more complex situations in the free-for-all of design that surrounds us every day.
Jamie
Mar 20, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This stuff is awesome! I didn't read the Type section, but the first part about design was extremely helpful & easy to understand. The contrasting examples were a great learning tool. I recommend this book to anyone who creates newsletters or signs that the public will read.
Melissa Bein
May 07, 2012 Melissa Bein rated it it was amazing
I'm a frequent flyer and fan of Robin P. Williams. She is the reason I am able to utilize the Creative Suite of Adobe. What's better than ONE book from Robin? Two-in-One - which is what you'll get with this book. Well done!
Candice
Dec 12, 2014 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Graphic Designers
Shelves: school-texts
This book is good for those who are new to graphic design and have little knowledge about design and typography. Only took me a few hours to read.
Becky
Mar 18, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
Please ignore all web design advice in this book, but otherwise, a really good resource for a beginner audience.
Tim
Jun 14, 2008 Tim added it
This is for my interactive media class. It's highly recommended by Emily, our instructor.
Feb 16, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
The design section was exceptional. The type section was weaker, but quite good still.
Sparky
Jan 26, 2009 Sparky rated it really liked it
Very clear explanations, very usable information.
Erin Eliason
Erin Eliason is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2016
Tracie Bristol
Tracie Bristol rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Nastya Filchenko
Nastya Filchenko marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Hillary Duffy
Hillary Duffy rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Anais Wheeler
Anais Wheeler rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
gail patsios
gail patsios rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Kay Mclellan
Kay Mclellan marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Sheila Savory
Sheila Savory marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Joy C.
Joy C. marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
M.Wadidi
M.Wadidi marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Tayler McCrery
Tayler McCrery rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
LY
LY rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Anatomy of Design: Uncovering the Influences and Inspirations in Modern Graphic Design
  • Booklife: Strategies and Survival Tips for the 21st-Century Writer
  • Visual Thinking for Design
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction
  • The Persona Lifecycle : Keeping People in Mind Throughout Product Design
  • Color Index
  • Copyrights and Copywrongs: The Rise of Intellectual Property and How It Threatens Creativity
  • Design: A Very Short Introduction
  • Where the Action Is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Thrillers: 100 Must-Reads
  • The Art of Drew Struzan
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Form of the Book: Essays on the Morality of Good Design
  • Strange and Stranger: The World of Steve Ditko
  • Piracy: The Intellectual Property Wars from Gutenberg to Gates
  • Designing for People

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Robin P. Williams is an American writer of computer-related books. She is particularly known for her manuals of style The Mac is Not a Typewriter and The Non-Designer's Design Book, as well as numerous manuals for various Mac OS operating systems and applications, including The Little Mac Book.

More about Robin P. Williams...