Blank-133x176
"Persuasion" by Jane A...

Judy Simons

"Persuasion" by Jane Austen

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  518 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Published January 14th 1988 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published December 1st 1987)

Carrie Jensen
My favorite Jane Austen. The main characters have already done their growing up, unlike most other Austen books, so it's not about them figuring how out to behave. It's about how they behave in comparison with other people. What is really a gentleman? What is really a lady? Very sweet "revelation" scene too. Austen's best.
Eva Ashmore
Why I choose to read this book
It may be strange but honestly I made a deal with my mother that if I read persuasion then she would not read a book she has already read for the rest of the year. Plus it fit in a category I hadn’t filled and I thought it might help me understand pride and prejudice better.
Which category is it in and why was that interesting?
This novel is in the female main character category. This was interesting because obviously she is a woman living in very a different time and...more
Jamie
Oh, Jane Austen. How do I love thee?
As always, the style of writing was beautiful and fun. Our heroine, Anne, is likable enough and her object of affection is perhaps even more delightful. Mr. Elliot is a fun wicked suitor, and the stupidity and boorishness of the upper class is amusing. Austen's Persuasion is light and fun without being fluffy.
Janean
Surprisingly, my new second favorite Jane Austen. When you think Jane Austen, you think Pride & Prejudice, Emma, and Sense & Sensibility. So, I was thrilled to love it as much as I did. As always, Jane takes a few chapters to get into, but I really loved this story! The ending almost beats out Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy for me.
Katie Conner
like most jane austen books, you have to get past the sixth chapter to really begin to understand, like, and want to read more about the characters, but once the book takes off it is certainly worth finishing... the ending is wonderful!
Kristin
Great comedy. It's just so hard to read through since sentence construction was really off. I liked the story. Very, very old British :) Great job there, Jane Austen! I love your masterpieces ♥
Marie
I don't know if it was a cheap version that I downloaded on my Nook but this novel was hard to read. Austen uses double negatives in every sentence - just tell us what is really going on here!
Steffanie
Very wordy, very unlike the ususal contextual novels I manage to find but not too bad. Need to get your head around the language...as soon as you've done that...ENJOY!!
Kathy Maggiacomo
I liked reading a happy love story. It was funny to see how although this was written over 200 years ago, we still have similar concerns and all want love.
David
It was difficult to read due to it's over-the-top verbage and rather lethargic plot development.
Adena
Although not my favorite Jane Austen novel, it was still entertaining.
Courtney
a great way to pass the tiem on the beach, a lovely escape otherwise.
Mindy
This book is a masterpiece. I loved every word.
Deonna
This one is just not my favorite!!
Rachel
My Favorite Jane Austin book
Jayne
My favorite Austen book!
Mauree
I couldn't even finish it.
Dina
Dina added it
Jul 25, 2014
Lynne
Lynne is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Leah Holloway
Leah Holloway marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Rime
Rime added it
Jul 21, 2014
  • The Works Of Jane Austen (Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories: Volumes I and II
  • Once Upon A Wallflower
  • Persistence of Memory & Token of Darkness
  • Treacherous Temptations
  • A Claim of Her Own
  • The Diamond Smugglers
  • Indian Ink
  • A Little Bit Wicked (Forbidden Love, #1)
  • The Fugitive Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #7)
  • Rocky Mountain Oasis (The Shepherd's Heart, #1)
  • The Secret Life of Miss Anna Marsh (The Marriage Game, #2)
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • Selected Works of Virginia Woolf
  • The Dwarfs
  • The Jolly Corner
  • Notes from the Hard Shoulder
  • Joanna (The Roselynde Chronicles, #3)
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen Diaries And Journals Of Literary Women From Fanny Burney To Virginia Woolf Mansfield Park and Persuasion (Contemporary Critical Essays) Fanny Burney Writing, a Woman's Business: Women, Writing and the Marketplace