Start by marking “Masque of the Swan” as Want to Read:
Masque of the Swan

Masque of the Swan

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  19 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
When Caralisa dances into the arms of a masked stranger, her life changes forever. Rumored to be a devil, the seductive Count of Samothrace is the most dangerous man Caralisa has ever met. With a handsome nobleman also vying for her hand, Caralisa must make a decision that will affect not only her own life, but the future of her own country.

Will Caralisa become the light o
Published January 1st 1996 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Masque of the Swan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masque of the Swan

Swann's Way by Marcel ProustDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierThe Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian AndersenThe Swan Thieves by Elizabeth KostovaWild Swans by Jung Chang
Swans
14th out of 46 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Oct 24, 2014 Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who like mysterious men behind a mask
Recommended to Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* by: Jill
3 1/2 Stars

This book was quite a mixed bag of themes, which made it all the more enjoyable.
While not your typical historical romance, it had a theme of Beauty and the Beast, Phantom of the Opera, a touch of fantasy "other world" mystery, passion, secrets..ect. One would think that sounds like a train wreck of a story, but somehow it worked. I brought it down half a star because the heroine Clarrisa and I just didn't bond at all. I found her very immature and rather shallow and quite undeserving
JadedlilFecker
This is one of those rare, 'it' books. I read this book first in 2001, and stopped reading romance thereafter; as I considered it the pinnacle of romance.

I truly believe the hero is the only one within romance I've read, that I'd probably pursue myself. He's unforgettable, unwaveringly patient and his self-control is infinite. Women acquire those sensibilities. ;]

I believe one of the most perplexing and alluring qualities pertaining to this hero, is that he never removes his mask.

The heroine is
Karla
May 02, 2012 Karla marked it as did-not-finish
I couldn't get into it. It didn't help that the gaggle of schoolgirls that surrounded the heroine made me want to jump into the book and take them all out. The plot also was taking too long getting starting and stuff was meandering all over the place.

Ashe's style is pretty, though, but too indirect for my current mood. I just wanted her to state something instead of describing everything with curlicues and furbelows.
Linda
MASQUE OF THE SWAN had elements of a gothic romance. With some unpredictable twists and turns, this is a pleasant mixture of Beauty and the Beast and Phantom of the Opera. The hero is a mysterious brooding man who wears a mask. The heroine is both naive and immature at moments yet I understood her angst. She yearns for true love. How much older he is than the young woman is left for the reader to guess.

Confusion, frustration and passion were some of the feelings embedded in my thoughts while I r
☆Eiko
As a person who has never read any books or seen any films about The Phantom of the Opera, Masque of the Swan is a book that had me mystified and anxious through the entire story. It begins with the heroine Caralisa whom we're told, is an orphan living in a boarding school. The time setting is never told, so we're left to assume one according to the clothes the characters are described wearing which leads me to think around the 1500's, as this book has a lot of religious overtures which were qui ...more
RIF
Jul 17, 2012 RIF rated it it was amazing
Part fairy tale, part fantasy, all love story. So good, so original and quite powerful. Deliberately fictionalized setting seems so much a part of the tale and is loveliness itself. She's a young orphan with a gift for composing music and in love with the possibilities of life, though it's a sheltered one at her girls school. They meet and he is dashing and charmed. He shows her more of the exotic, mysterious city and displays confidence and encouragement in her compositions that lead to some fo ...more
Michelle
Sep 10, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
I think this is a lovely, if a little bit odd, retelling of the Phantom story. The Count is the most engaging character in the book. MichaelJohn is a little too cardboard, a little too besotted by a woman he does not know and who was masked when he met her. Caralisa is young and a bit immature, but she makes up for that throughout the book. In a twist, Caralisa is the accomplished musician and composer in this retelling. It's always been one of my favourite retellings of my favourite story.
Britney
Britney marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Amina Siddiqi
Amina Siddiqi marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Pamela Nnamani
Pamela Nnamani rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
13trappen
13trappen marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Sarah Hinderman
Sarah Hinderman marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Hannah Bateman
Hannah Bateman marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Sammy Eagleson
Sammy Eagleson marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Natasha Kowalewski
Natasha Kowalewski marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Mo
Mo marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Karly Noelle Noelle
Karly Noelle Noelle marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Adnana
Adnana marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Yusrika Chen
Yusrika Chen marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Tay
Tay rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Sneha Venky
Sneha Venky marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Veryan
Veryan marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Kelly Malloch
Kelly Malloch rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014