Start by marking “Fire Study (Study, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fire Study (Study, #3)

Fire Study (Study #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  32,125 ratings  ·  2,478 reviews
The apprenticeship is over—now the real test has begun.

When word that Yelena is a Soulfinder—able to capture and release souls—spreads like wildfire, people grow uneasy. Already Yelena's unusual abilities and past have set her apart. As the Council debates Yelena's fate, she receives a disturbing message: a plot is rising against her homeland, led by a murderous sorcerer s
Published March 1st 2008 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Fire Study, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Study

Graceling by Kristin CashoreThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasPoison Study by Maria V. SnyderThe Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGrave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
Books With Heroes/Heroines Who Are Assassins
14th out of 609 books — 2,630 voters
Graceling by Kristin CashorePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderFire by Kristin CashoreThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Magic, Adventure, Romance
11th out of 961 books — 2,958 voters

More lists with this book...

Lyndsey
For me, the Study series has been on a descending scale of awesomeness.

A jaunty, double-spaced, fried zombie? Where?!

The first book, Poison Study, was awesome and gave you that happy-go-lucky feeling at the end and you want to yell "weeeeeee". The second book, Magic Study, was "eh". It felt somewhat disconnected from the original but still good. This third one, Fire Study, was just plain worn-out and over done, too much going on without much really happening. It had it's moments but mostly it
Angie
I felt a bit blue last night as I finished Fire Study, the third and final volume in Maria V. Snyder's Study Trilogy. Though she is currently working on a new series following a side character from the Study books, this is the last one to center on the adventures of Yelena, the convicted murderer, turned poison taster, turned diplomatic liaison. I felt blue because I'd been expecting more and I ended up finishing it more out of a feeling of obligation than because I was truly engrossed.

The stor
Limonessa
What a pity. This is the only coherent thought in my mind after finishing the Study series. After an oustanding debut followed by a mediocre sequel, the final installment was NOT the proper ending to something that could have been memorable. Not because of the way it ended, because that was pretty satisfying. In fact, it got 2 stars from me instead of one just because Snyder eventually delivered what is so painfully expected throughout the whole - excessively long - book.
If I had to describe in
Felicia
Ugh. Well, I was obsessed with Poison Study, and Magic Study was pretty good, but this book really didn't satisfy. I found myself skimming it a lot, and I felt bad doing it.

For some reason the whole reason I liked the series in the first place dwindled throughout this concluding novel to where I forgot what charmed me in the first place. It wasn't horrible, just not the direction I wanted or expected it to go. I guess an author has to do what he/she thinks the series should do, but it went so f
This was a good story, but I did find it a little confusing in places.

Yelena was really strong in this book, she stood up and took charge, and once again wasn’t afraid to go into dangerous situations when the lives of those she loved depended on it.

The storyline in this was good, but I did get confused in places; I just found some bits a little hard to follow, but I think I got the gist of what was going on eventually!

There was a little bit of romance in this one, but I could always have done wi
Unfortunately, this series has gone the way of many "chicks-who-kick-butt" stories go, where apparently no one is capable of doing anything (or thinking, or even desiring to think, for that matter) except for the unflappable, clever, sarcastic heroine. The voice has become modern/mainstream enough that it kills the other-world feel (this Pegasus is lacking true wings). There's some creativity to the world and magic system, so I still enjoyed the book, even if the characters have become flat as t ...more
Angela
2 stars is still pretty generous for this book. Bleh. I was so disappointed. Reading these 3 books was a similar experience to the Eragon books ... LOVED the first one, thought the second one was good but not as good as the previous, and forced my way through the third one while skipping massive pages and not caring what I missed.

Comparing POISON STUDY to MAGIC STUDY and FIRE STUDY, I think what I didn't like the most was the 1st book was so different from the last 2. I loved the mystery of Yele
Mimi
Lots of adventure and almost nonstop action, which I like, but Yelena's character development is something I'll have to think on some more. And also, the ending is sort of rushed. Otherwise, another good book in a thoroughly good series.

Full review of the Study Trilogy at Wordpress
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
3.5

Wow. So, this book was kind of difficult to get through. Up until about three-quarters of the way through, I was afraid I was going to end up hating it. Part of it was some of the negative reviews, but more of it was the fact that everyone was really being annoying.

There was some of this in the second book, too. People were holding unrealistic expectations of other people, people were demanding trust while being mistrustful, etc. And there's a lot more of that in this one, to the point where
Heather
I must live to torment myself. I endured the craziness that was Magic Study, read the reviews for Fire Study, which were much worse than Magic Study, and yet I read Fire Study anyway, which is my way. So, I guess I only have myself to blame, but I’m blaming Snyder too. What in Vati’s name was she thinking writing this sham of a story?! I was hoping that she would redeem herself and Yelena, but the only thing that resulted from this book was an addition to my shite bookshelf.

Having read 448 pages
Erin
Kathryn
I have more than a few bone to pick with this book.
I still can't shake how disappointed I am!
All the worries about the last book having a bad review were merely a start. I have Just another book that made me feel this way... 'Breaking Dawn' grrrrrrr (anger of some sort)

To give myself a closure from one of my favorite seires, I reluctantly started reading the kindle version, for I couldn't wait for it to deliver. I was wrong, maybe I should've waited for much longer.

This book is filled with blo
Inspired Kathy
So this is probably more like a 4 star book but it did meet my main qualification for 5 star book - a book that sucks me in and I can't put it down. This book although not as good as the first 2 was still a page turner for me and I enjoyed it. I wished for more Valek & Janco & Ari and a little less of the weird twisted magic but I enjoyed the plot and characters in this book.

1st read May 2009
Reread February 2015
Claire
First, let me start out by saying that I loved Poison Study. It's one of my favorite books ever. It was dark, dangerous, mysterious, romantic, and just amazing. So what on Earth happened? Fire Study just wasn't very good. The plot was dull and progressed slowly and don't even get me started on Valek. (Did he forget Yelena's name or something? Because the entire book he just called her "My Love". Seriously Valek, what happened to your heart of steel?) Overall, this book was a sad, disappointing c ...more
Denisse
4.5 That was a very short, but excellent journey, Thank you Snyder, I'll be reading you soon again.

Quiero un Valek un Ari y un Janco...para comer aquí...y dos para llevar por favor!.
Y la cabeza de Cahil en una pica.
Porque me cae gordo.

Le daría las 5 completas, pero empieza con mucha acción y nunca para hasta el final final, y esta muy bien que te mantenga leyendo (yo me lo leí en un día) pero a mi no me gusta que nunca se baje el ritmo un poco. Es algo muy personal, de ahí en fuera, EL LIBR
Jessica B
I really, really, really enjoyed this series! This was probably my favourite but not by much. Yelena has discovered her true self and is scared of what her true power means for her and those she cares about.

With a group of evil Warpers out to get her and take over Sitia and soon after Ixia Yelena needs to come up with a plan fast. Soon all of the Sitian council is against her and she is fighting for her life and a place in the world.

Valek of course comes to the rescue again making this book 10
Alaine
This is the third and final book in the Study series. I have to say I was a little bit disappointed as I thought this book would follow a similar format to the others. The first one was Poison Study and it was about Yelena's job as a food taster for the Commander of Ixia. In the second book Yelena goes to learn about her magical ability with the magicians in Sitia. I thought the third book would be about Yelena studying fire, but it really was a continuation of Magic Study and Yelena's journey t ...more
Rachel
I liked this book, though not quite as much as the other two. There is something about a woman needing a man that appeals to me and in this book, she is becoming much more independent and doesn't need Valek nearly as much. :( But I still enjoyed her adventures to save her world.
Flannery
This one = running away, getting caught, being poisoned, escaping, rinse, repeat. The last few chapters were the the saving grace.
Jessica
I had heard from the friend who let me borrow this series of books that the third wasn't as good as the first two, so I was expecting to be a little disappointed in this story. That, however, didn't happen.

I mean, true, the story did get a little bogged down in Yelena's stubborn streak and her complete inability to listen to those who should have been teaching her, as well as the strained relationships she had with the people who should have been most important to her, but despite all that, I st
Sarai
I was a bit disappointed with Fire Study. While Snyder is a skilled writer, the plot in this book was so disjointed and all over the place that I felt it hard to keep up. And sometimes, I didn't even want to.

As with the other two books there is an underlying Big Issue that Yelena is trying to overcome that sometimes takes a backseat while other minor events go on. The difference with Fire Study is that these minor events that were sprinkled throughout the story were either completely pointless,
LiteraryLover
I have to say that by now I've officially become hooked to Maria V. Snyder's writing. I've been very impressed so far with her books.
However I feel slightly disappointed with this book.

In Poison Study Yelena has already created a group of friends and enemies in Sitia and is still looking to capture the murderer Ferde from the previous novel. Yelena, Leif, and Moon Man go out searching on a lead and find more trouble than they bargain for.

Fire Study felt to me more like Magic Study part 2 than
Brad
Well, I don't really regret finishing the series. It was pretty good, and a mostly entertaining story. Some of my hopes as I finished the second book weren't met, but at least Valek's presence wasn't nearly so gag inducing. Lots of "love"s again--my solution? Give him a thick Cockney accent every time he said it. Problem solved.

The first book is probably the best in the series, and I don't know that the rest add enough that you've gotta read 'em. The first 1/3 of this book gets a low 2, things m
Sath
The truth is now out, and everyone knows that Yelena is a 'Soulfinder'. Most people don't like this, as the last known Soulfinder, only used his powers for evil, everyone sees only the evil possibilities, necromancy etc. The council must debate what to do with Yelena.

Meanwhile Yelena has heard that Ferde the Soulstealer is back, and sets out to hunt him down, only to learn that there are more enemies now than those she's fought before.

This book was a little disappointing after the decent start o
Aa'Ishah
3.5/4 stars

After being a little disappointed with Magic Study, I hoped that this one would finish the series the same way it started it: brilliantly. Unfortunately, it didn't quite manage to do that. Fire Study and I got off to a little bit of a rocky start and there were hiccups along the way. Having said that, this book was still pretty good.

Fire Study picks up where Magic Study left off. Soulstealer Ferde has escaped and First Magician Roze is looking for any opportunity to have Yelena execut
Abbie
I didn't enjoy this one as much as book two, but it was an okay read.

I didn't like Yelena as much as I did in the last one, but she was still a strong and decent character.

There were times where this bored and confused me slightly, but It wasn't a bad read. I just wanted the story to get a move on and be a bit clearer at points.

Overall, An alright read.
Meli
Muy buen final y los últimos capítulos fueron una tortura increíble, hicieron que todo el libro valga la pena. Llenos de acción, esclarecimientos, sorpresas y nervios.

Pero van cuatro estrellas ya que, quitando esos capítulos trepidantes, se me hizo una lectura lenta. De los tres fue -de nuevo quitando el final- el que menos disfruté.

El final es perfecto, pero ya que la autora tiene pensado escribir un par de libros más, habrá que hacer un esfuercito y esperar para volver a ver a Valek en acción.
Tamara AlKurdi
Again, the structure and writing of the book is so unstable and everywhere. Everything is mixed together, dates and times are scattered and the plots are endless. Nothing is consistent.

Yelena is the same since book one, Valek is a different person since book one, Ari and Janco remained the same (and are my favorite characters), and once again, more unnecessary characters. This book needed to take a breath.

I did however, like the book but I do have to say that I dislike the series and feel that
Rebecca T
It's amazing to know that years later, I still have the same amount of love for this series as I did the first time I read it. Despite my own character growth, it's nice to know there are constants like this amazing series.

Now that my re-read is through, SHADOW STUDY HERE I COME.
Jeannette Nikolova
It wasn't heartbreakingly bad but it certainly wasn't good in any way.
I could not have cared less about the characters, not to mention that the plot was sort of the same as in the previous book. Just a lot of yadda-yadda.
Many things were left unresolved as well. Yelene never even told her family about what happened with Reyad.
  • Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)
  • Heroes at Risk (Hero, #4)
  • Warsworn  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)
  • Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares #4)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • Illumination (Curse of The Bond Riders, #3)
  • The Mage's Daughter (Nine Kingdoms, #2)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4)
  • Blue Fire (Healing Wars, #2)
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
Meteorologist turned novelist, Maria's been writing fantasy and science fiction since she was bored at work and needed something creative to do. A dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria's learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her MA degree in Writing from Seton Hill University where she's been ...more
More about Maria V. Snyder...

Study (6 books)
  • Poison Study (Study, #1)
  • Magic Study (Study, #2)
  • Shadow Study (Soulfinders, #1)
  • Night Study (Soulfinders, #2)
  • Dawn Study (Soulfinders, #3)
Poison Study (Study, #1) Magic Study (Study, #2) Touch of Power (Healer, #1) Inside Out (Insider, #1) Storm Glass (Glass, #1)

“There's always another storm. It's the way the world works. Snowstorms, rainstorms, windstorms, sandstorms, and firestorms. Some are fierce and others are small. You have to deal with each one separately, but you need to keep an eye on whats brewing for tomorrow.” 350 likes
“The others had taken Valek's return in stride, although Janco made a comment about Valek's lack of hair. 'You ever notice how couples start to look alike?' he asked.

In a deadpan, Valek replied, 'Yes. In fact I was just thinking how much you and Topaz resemble each other. It's uncanny.”
142 likes