Start by marking “The Rover Boys at School” as Want to Read:
The Rover Boys at School

The Rover Boys at School (The Rover Boys #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about The Rover Boys at School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rover Boys at School

Larry Piper
In reading something about the author of the Hardy Boys series (Lesley something or other, a Canadian), I got interested in Edward Stratemeyer, who masterminded a number of popular youth series, including the Hardy Boys, Tom Swift, Nancy Drew, the Bobbsey Twins, and the Rover Boys. Well, I'd never read any Rover Boys, which seemed to be Stratemeyer's first series and one he largely penned himself. Many of the others he outlined and then farmed out the actual writing to others, for a fixed price ...more
Alison
This was the very first series Edward Stratemeyer wrote which led to the creation of the Stratemeyer Syndicate which gave birth to the Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.
The Rover Boys are portrayed as healthy, wholesome American boys - so it's surprising to see how prejudiced the writing is and how much trouble the boys get into while still being viewed as terrific. (Actually, I guess the prejudice is not surprising because that is a big part of American history - past and present.)
Tabi
The Rover Boys at school is the first of a series of 20 books about Dick, Tom and Sam Rover. The series was started in 1899 and so the language is very "old-fashioned" and many words don't mean quite what they mean today, so it would be easy to be offended if you weren't smart enough to realize that. The series starts off a little slow, but it's fun to watch the characters grow up. The brothers are sent away to a military school in this book and make friends and enemies among the students and te ...more
Jeff Miller
This is a early juvenile that predates The Hardy Boys, though has much in common with those books. Since The Hardy Boys were my first love as a young reader decided to check this out since it is in the public domain on Project Gutenberg and Librivox.

The book was enjoyable as an 1890's young adult literature. Nothing great, but bun in its way and nicely innocent. This is a first in a series so plot elements play out in other books.
A.J.
Read this one by way of research. In many ways a typical school story - sporting events, a bully to deal with, a mean teacher and a damsel in distress. Very much of its time though, in the moralising tone of the author, who isn't afraid of putting his own opinions into the story. He also had a rather annoying habit of blatantly promoting the next books in the series.
Marianne
Aug 13, 2014 Marianne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-reads, demain
Margaret Mitchell mentions these books often. I'm guessing she read the whole series a few times over as a kid. For my Mitchell project, I'll at least read the first. If I love it, I might read them all. :)
Hope Johanna
Hope Johanna marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Naveen Lobo
Naveen Lobo marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Mike Beck
Mike Beck marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Debbie Phillips
Debbie Phillips marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Tj Thompson
Tj Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Chiara Shah
Chiara Shah marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Rena Catlin
Rena Catlin marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Daniela Christensen
Daniela Christensen marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Tony Derricott
Tony Derricott marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Amy McMann
Amy McMann marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Rover Boys on the Great Lakes The Rover Boys on the Ocean; or, A Chase for a Fortune (The Rover Boys, #2) The Rover Boys at College The Rover Boys on the River or the Search for the Missing Houseboat The Rover Boys in Southern Waters or the Deserted Steam Yacht