Makeba: My Story

Makeba: My Story

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The autobiography of the legendary South African singer and political activist known as "Mama Africa". "A cry of the heart. No one can fail to be moved".-- Boston Herald. 16 pages of photos.
Published March 1st 1989 by Plume

Sincerae
I really enjoyed this book. Makeba: My Story is the autobiography of South African singer Miriam Makeba. Makeba was born Zenzi Makeba to Swazi and Xhosa parents. This memoir reads like a novel and in hackneyed words used to describe some movies and books it is a story of triumph and tragedy.

Miriam Makeba was born under the brutal system of apartheid. Her beloved father died young, and she was eventually raised mainly by her grandmother and other extended family. Her mother was forced to work fa...more
Robin
South African singer and activist Miriam Makeba speaks the story of her life conversationally, in first person, rather than as slickly edited text. Through short poignant chapters, she reveals an extraordinary life of triumph and tragedy. This book covers the years from her 1930s childhood through the 1980s, when apartheid still reigned. It is written as a personal reflection, just after a time of devastating personal loss.

After a few very unusual childhood experiences, Makeba gives details abo...more
John
I'm not usually a fan of autobiographies, but the style of this one--1st person, present tense--was different, and while that took some getting used to, I found it a more interesting approach, making the narrative akin (I'm assuming) to a more authentic, African, storytelling approach.

I think Makeba is an interesting figure in popular music and the struggle for human rights, both in the U.S. and abroad, and I found the story of her life to be engaging. Did I believe everything she said? No, not...more
Carol
I loved her singing so I decided to read her autobiography. She brought to light the differences between Western and African culture. Like the fact that in Western culture, your ancestors are dead but in her culture, the ancestors are with the person all the time that they are alive. This is a book that I would love to read again.
Mary
I really enjoyed this autobiography. I love Miriam Makeba's music, and her story really marks her place in history, especially the struggle against apartheid in South Africa. She has had an amazing life, and it was a pleasure to read about it.
Camille
Great memoir of a truly tender, talented, and tough African woman. A true legend!
Love To Bake Cakes
I love everything about Mama Africa and her music. Very good read.
Adriane
Adriane marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Tia
Tia added it
Feb 17, 2014
Kuva
Kuva marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Faith Edwards
Faith Edwards marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Jan 06, 2014
Sonel
Sonel marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Bastiaan
Bastiaan marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Chanel M
Chanel M marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Melissa Andrews
Melissa Andrews marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Jerry Williams
Jerry Williams marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Brittany Bennett
Brittany Bennett is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2013
Mpho3
Mpho3 marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Sylvia Van
Sylvia Van marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Makeba: The Miriam Makeba Story Mijn leven Myriam Makeba: Une Voix Pour L'Afrique South Africas Skylark: Classics & Rarities The World of African Song