Start by marking “Crimson Sails” as Want to Read:
Crimson Sails

Alexander Grin

Crimson Sails

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,243 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
In a small fisherman's village there lived the widowed and reclusive Longren with his daughter Assol. The neighbors consider the family odd, which was true. Assol is waiting for her prophesied fate--that she will meet the man of her dreams when he comes to her on a ship with red sails.
Published (first published November 23rd 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Crimson Sails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crimson Sails

Nataliya
Scarlet Sails, a beloved Russian fairy-tale for adults and children alike, is a story about dreams coming true, no matter how silly or futile or far-reached they may seem.

(Because of this book, I even had a sailor suit when I was little :D)

Who hasn't had wild childhood dreams that we secretly hoped would come true? Alexander Grin wrote a book where they do. Written in the early 20th century, in the newly socialist Russia where realism and class struggle were supposed to be the ultimate goal in
Algernon
Feb 12, 2013 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Algernon by: Nataliya
Shelves: 2013

I first heard about it in a comment to Catherynne Valente's Orphan Tales . The comparison is appropriate, because Alexander Grin's novella is another 'modern' fairytale written in beautiful prose. I can understand now how it was possible for Crimson Sails to become a classic in Russian literature, despite the fact that (or posibbly because of the fact that) it is so different from the social realism literary current dominant at the time of its publication.

To resume the story, Assol is a Cinde
Darian Danilevich
Алые паруса - это отличная сказка, ставшая классикой. Два персонажа, такие одинокие и такие похожие, в конце концов, находят друг друга.
Однако в низкой оценке я отражаю своё недовольство, связанное с развитием сюжета.
Ассоль грезила алыми парусами с детства, и она пошла бы за любым человеком, который плавал бы под ними.
Артур увидел спящую девушку и влюбился, ничего не зная о ней. Он выведал её историю и купил нужное количество материи, благо, денег у него было достаточно.
Получается, он увидел м
Anh
May 24, 2011 Anh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, romantic, liked
What can I say about this book? It's terrific! Well written, innocent enough for kids but romantic enough for adults, short enough that you don't have to invest much time, but long enough for an evening or two. and I just love how characters act. He and she just believe in each other... though they've never met. What an incredible love story.
Βιβλιομανής
Ιδιαίτερη και αξιόλογη νουβέλα με πλούσιο και ενδιαφέρον επίμετρο!
Το βιβλίο είναι γραμμένο ξεκάθαρα για να ικανοποιήσει τάσεις φυγής (του συγγραφέα αλλά και του αναγνώστη) που έχει κουραστεί από τη μίζερη πραγματικότητα.. Με μια πρόχειρη ματιά θα μπορούσε κανείς να πει ότι είναι παραμύθι, ωστόσο δεν είναι ακριβώς. Έχει πολλά παραμυθικά στοιχεία, αλλά έχει και κάποιο βάθος,και κάποιες μοντέρνες προσθήκες στο γράψιμο.. Γενικά με ιντρίγκαρε απροσδόκητα αυτό το βιβλιαράκι, ελπίζω κι εσάς!
Maria Thomarey
Aug 28, 2015 Maria Thomarey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Μια παραμυθένια , γεμάτη λυρισμό νουβέλα
Mina Soare
Why read this? For the short version, skip the next two paragraphs. Be warned: this book has long descriptions - just like my review.

As a mix of romantism and simbolism (so it's written), combined with a fact that it's a third-person old-style narration, this book takes detail-oriented to a new level. As the action can be generally summed up in 3 to five phrases, which I won't do here, everything that sits still long enough is described: forest, ground, sun, flowers, drunk characters and sleepin
Martha
Apr 16, 2008 Martha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a kid and I think I liked it, but this time not so much. It's got a fairy-tale plot, but not much of one, and knowing what happens already it just didn't hold my interest. Insofar as the hero had a personality at all (the characters are more like archetypes), he was kind of pompous and annoying. The translation (from Russian) seemed a bit awkward in parts, and some of the images and metaphors didn't really work too well for me -- like "She noticed nothing along the way, as when she ...more
Maria Georgiadou
Ένα μαγικό παραμύθι όπου το μαγικό στοιχείο (που δύσκολα αντιλαμβάνεται κανείς ότι απουσιάζει) αντικαθιστά η μαγική χρήση της γλώσσας.

Τρία αστέρια γιατί ενώ διάβαζα, φυλλομετρούσα τις σελίδες για να δω πόσες μου απομένουν.
Rebecka
This was very cute. It's an arch-typical old-fashioned love story, but it had an ever so sight twist in that the "wonder" that occurred was indeed no wonder, but clever machination ^^ If not, I'm afraid it would have been terribly cliché. It's not though, and you've got to admit that the Captain is a sly bastard. NICE MOVE.

Extra points for being very easy to read. That's something I appreciate these days.

Also, it contains occasional stuff like this:
"Том, как ты женился?"
"Я поймал её за юбку, к
Stacy
Jan 24, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 27-before-27, romance, ru, 2011
What a wonderful language! A kind modern authors aren't able even imagine to achieve. That is why it is worth to read classics - to remember how beautiful language can be, how colorful, how deep, how magnificent.

Talking about plot - it tells the story about how important it is to believe despite everything. When you believe - you will get what you want, all the world will help you.
Capsguy
Jun 27, 2011 Capsguy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian
That was a sweet little story, it truly is a nice thing when you stumble across an author like Grin by chance and are rewarded with such beautiful prose. Not a word wasted in this tale.

Definitely worth checking out, especially if you're one of those who insist on reading Russian classics. This is a nice change to the more depressing works you are used to.
Yiota Misiou
Feb 12, 2014 Yiota Misiou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Μοναδικό, μαγευτικό, παραμυθένιο!!!
Nguyễn Quang Vũ
Mình có một tuổi thơ không đến nỗi bị đánh cắp, đấy là còn chưa dám nói là kéo hơi bị dài. Tuy nhiên, "Cánh buồm đỏ thắm" không nằm trong ký ức của tuổi thơ đó. Không hiểu sao lại như thế. Cứ như là bị bôi xóa, bị delete thảm thương khỏi bộ nhớ mà không cách nào undelete được. Nói loằng ngoằng như thế ý là xưa xửa xừa xưa mình có đọc cuốn này rồi mà bây giờ thì quên tiệt, không nhớ gì về nó hết. Vậy là mình đọc lại. Đọc lại như mới. Thế nhưng, quả thực, khi đọc lại mình mới hiểu tại sao mình khô ...more
Olga Godim
Nov 03, 2013 Olga Godim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novella was my favorite book, when I grew up in the Soviet Union. Since its first publication in 1923, it’s had numerous adaptations in Russia, including a super-popular movie and a ballet. Now, it also has an annual festival in St. Petersburg named after it. The festival--a gala for high school graduates--takes place in the middle of June, during a prom night, a white night in St. Petersburg. The highlight of the night is when a ship under scarlet sails cruises along the Neva River, and sp ...more
Victoria Golovinskaya
"Он любил картины без объяснений и подписей. Впечатление такой картины несравненно сильнее; ее содержание, не связанное словами, становится безграничным, утверждая все догадки и мысли".

Это опять рубрика "дочке читаю". Самое время читать все это в шестнадцать; я сама впервые читала в тридцать два, и была тогда очень вдохновлена, понимая ее как метафору души, конечно; ну да я почти все произведения любых видов искусства, если трогают, понимаю так.

А еще была заворожена густотой, плотностью текста.
Dawn
Aug 14, 2009 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Demonstrates the power in choosing to fulfill another's dreams, choosing understanding over ridicule, and contrasts that with other choices and other consequences. Well woven. One of the most beautiful and enduring love stories ever written. Of course, the Russian (Alye Parusa) is far more poetic and moving.
Đông Huynh
Jul 23, 2015 Đông Huynh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Văn chương đẹp, có lẽ một phần do bản dịch hay. Không nhất thiết một câu chuyện cổ tích luôn khiến người ta tin vào những điều kỳ diệu, mà khiến ta đôi khi cảm thấy lạc quan hơn vào cuộc sống, và như thế cũng đủ rồi :)
duyenngoc.auth
Aug 19, 2015 duyenngoc.auth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cánh buồm đỏ thắm – bài thơ bằng văn xuôi – làm trái tim rung động, bồi hồi trở lại như thiếu nữ. Dẫu tôi đọc nó ở tuổi 24.
Người ta nói, cuốn sách này Grin viết cho tuổi mới lớn, thế thì tôi nghĩ tôi chắc bây giờ mới lớn, hoặc không bao giờ lớn cả, khi đọc lại những lời văn như vậy.

Không phải là câu chuyện tình của Grây và A-Xôn quá đẹp. Đúng ra, nó không hề đẹp, người ta đâu có thể yêu nhau mà không biết về nhau như vậy, điều này tôi không bao giờ tin là tình yêu đích thực. Thế mà, nó lại thành
Cindy
Dec 06, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of a small handful of books that fascinated me as a child and young adult, and stayed with me. This book literally STAYED with me, as I have moved all over the U.S. and from house to apartment, etc., countless times. It has lasted through numerous downsizings and purges as well. All this to say, the book is very special and I have not been able to part with it. To me, the way this book evokes images and feelings is so powerful, and the way the settings are described very vivid and se ...more
Thy Ngân
Không thích lăm các kiểu cổ tích làm người ta mơ mộng, tin tưởng hão huyền. Cũng không thích sự ngợi ca vẻ đẹp hình thể trước khi cô gái kiếm được hạnh phúc. Nhưng, người ta luôn có thể dễ tính hơn với những cuốn sách dành cho thiếu nhi. :3
Nấm Hương
Có những hình ảnh đẹp đẽ sẽ theo mình suốt cuộc đời. Nên làm sao không xúc động được, trước ý nghĩ về những biểu tượng của niềm hạnh phúc trong ngần, bất diệt, như cánh buồm đỏ thắm từ biển xa dần tiến về mõm đất, rực rỡ trong ánh bình minh, như bông hồng vàng tỏa sáng giữa bóng tối của căn nhà tồi tàn nơi anh Giăng sống. Còn mình, một mai lớn lên nếu nhớ về hạnh phúc, sẽ nhớ tới chiếc kính vạn hoa làm bằng ống nước, mỗi khi lắc nhẹ lại hiện ra hoa văn thật mê hồn. Đó là những niềm hạnh phúc có ...more
Anna
Dec 14, 2014 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian
Actually, I'm not a big fan of romance, but I decided to give this book a chance. The wording and the language of the book is magnificent! Though sometimes there are too many describtions to get through the book... The beginning is really good - I liked how Grin describes childhood of the main heros and establishes their characters. However, the romance between heros looks too unnatural (view spoiler) ...more
Kate Ushmayeva
Jan 31, 2016 Kate Ushmayeva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The name of the book is Skarlet sails. The author of the book i read is Alexander Grin.and This book is fiction. The genre of it is Poetry. This amazing book is the most favourite one of my best friend. She advised me to read it a long time ago, and i decided to start. And i liked it.
This book is about a girl who was waiting for her lovely prince. It was written in 1916-1922 and took place in the small village on the river bank. Girl Assol, prince and her father-sailor. It was a long way for he
Hoang-Anh
May 11, 2014 Hoang-Anh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phân vân khá lâu giữa việc cho cuốn sách này 4 hay 5 sao, bởi nó hiển nhiên là một câu chuyện rất lãng mạn về tình yêu nam nữ, tôi không muốn mình sẽ được nhìn như là một người ưa đọc truyện lãng mạn cho lắm. Tuy nhiên nếu bỏ qua cái sĩ diện rất vô lý đó thì cuốn sách này thực sự đáng được đánh giá là tuyệt vời. Cách tác giả kể chuyện gây hồi hộp, tính cách nhân vật cũng thật đặc biệt và thú vị. Đặc biệt là cách miêu tả sự vật và thiên nhiên quá tinh tế và tài tình; nhất là hình ảnh cánh buồm đỏ ...more
Yiannis
Jul 15, 2014 Yiannis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Ο Αλεξάντρ Γκριν αφηγείται αριστοτεχνικά μια ιστορία μαγική, μπολιάζοντας αρμονικά -σχεδόν φυσικά- το παραμύθι με την πραγματικότητα・ τόσο αρμονικά που η αμφισβήτηση του φανταστικού (εν προκειμένω της προφητείας) είναι δεδομένη από τη μία, εδραζόμενη στον κοινό νου, και η αφύσική (τ)ρο(π)ή των πραγμάτων αποτελεί την αυτονόητη επιλογή -όχι δικαίωση- της ιδιαιτερότητας από την άλλη.

Το πλοίο με τα πορφυρά πανιά εξοκέλλει της ενδεδειγμένης συμβατικής πορείας της ανθρωπότητας επιδεικτικά -εν τη ρύμη
Huyen
Jun 10, 2008 Huyen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
maybe i'm too old for fairy tales, but honestly, I don't think children should believe that if you sit on your ass all your life daydreaming and believing a prince will come, sailing a boat with scarlet sails to take you to your dreamland. I'd rather say go make your own boat with scarlet sails and sail away to make your dreams come true.
Amanda
Aug 27, 2007 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of a simple, lovely story
My sister and her husband asked all the guests at their wedding to give them a copy of their favorite books instead a of a wedding gift. Soem close family friends handed them this, and now I see why. It's a classic, simple story of dreams and love, like a fairytale. I liked it tons.
Robin
A wonderful, magical romance. I received this book when I was a child, and I still love it...
Elena Semenchuk
May 30, 2014 Elena Semenchuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its beautiful ...more
  • Золотой Ключик, или Приключения Буратино
  • Ruslan and Ludmila
  • Волшебник Изумрудного города (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #1)
  • Приключения Незнайки
  • The Amphibian
  • Demon
  • Village Evenings Near Dikanka and Mirgorod
  • Двенадцать стульев. Золотой телёнок
Alexander Grin (Russian: Александр Грин ((настоящее имя — Алексaндр Степaнович Гринeвский), August 23, 1880 – July 8, 1932) was a Russian writer, notable for his romantic novels and short stories, mostly set in an unnamed fantasy land with a European or Latin American flavor. He was a sailor, gold miner and construction worker, but generally lived a life of a vagabond.
More about Alexander Grin...

“Вы видите, как тесно сплетены здесь судьба, воля и свойство характеров; я прихожу к той, которая ждёт и может ждать только меня, я же не хочу никого другого, кроме неё, может быть именно потому, что благодаря ей я понял одну нехитрую истину. Она в том, чтобы делать так называемые чудеса своими руками. Когда для человека главное — получать дражайший пятак, легко дать этот пятак, но, когда душа таит зерно пламенного растения — чуда, сделай ему это чудо, если ты в состоянии. Новая душа будет у него и новая у тебя. Когда начальник тюрьмы сам выпустит заключённого, когда миллиардер подарит писцу виллу, опереточную певицу и сейф, а жокей хоть раз попридержит лошадь ради другого коня, которому не везёт, — тогда все поймут, как это приятно, как невыразимо чудесно. Но есть не меньшие чудеса: улыбка, веселье, прощение, и — вовремя сказанное, нужное слово. Владеть этим — значит владеть всем. Что до меня, то наше начало — моё и Ассоль — останется нам навсегда в алом отблеске парусов, созданных глубиной сердца, знающего, что такое любовь.” 6 likes
“Я понял одну нехитрую истину. Она в том, чтобы делать так называемые чудеса своими руками. Когда для человека главное - получать дражайший пятак, легко дать этот пятак, но, когда душа таит зерно пламенного растения - чуда, сделай ему это чудо, если ты в состоянии. Новая душа будет у него и новая у тебя.” 4 likes