Start by marking “Up Close: Frank Lloyd Wright (Up Close)” as Want to Read:
Up Close: Frank Lloyd Wright (Up Close)

Up Close: Frank Lloyd Wright (Up Close)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Frank Lloyd Wright was the most influential architect of the twentieth century—and a rogue genius whose life was a wild ride. Wright routinely ignored unpaid bills, clients’ wishes, budget constraints. Only his creative vision mattered to him. That vision transformed the way we live, sweeping aside the Victorian home and creating a uniquely American architecture exemplifie ...more
Published November 8th 2007 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Up Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up Close

Rachel
Frank Lloyd Wright’s life was full of ups and downs that help make for a thrilling and riveting, read. Up Close: Frank Lloyd Wright by Jan Adkins is a comprehensive look at the crazy life of this famous architect. The story follows Wright from his childhood in Wisconsin, to his rise as an architecture star, to his fall from grace during WWII, to his comeback during the last several years of his life. Jan Adkins does an excellent job weaving American history into the fabric of Wright’s life, whic ...more
Loren
This is a nice "Wright 101" book for teens: easy to read, covers all the phases of Wright's life and moves along at a quick pace. Adkins is no fan of Wright the man, but certainly appreciates the work he did and his influence on architecture. Adkins doesn't sugar-coat Wright's scandalous life or what he did that was so scandalous, and he paints Wright as the narcissistic, dishonest cheat that he was. There are a few pictures and just the right amount of historical context to place Wright and his ...more
Audrey
Okay, as far as biographies go. There was something about the author's writing tone that I didn't care for -- but I can't really put my finger on it. She seemed too enthusiastic about her topic, if that's possible, as though she'd be jumping up and down, clapping her hands, and squealing about it in real life.

I've long been a huge admirer of FLW, without knowing much about him, so it was interesting to read about his background. It's amazing to see what he accomplished when it comes to architec
Charles Stahl
A short but engaging read, the author doesn't merely proclaim the facts of Wright's history, he also offers up his unsolicited opinions. Not sure I necessarily agree with everything he says but he certainly expresses strong opinions. Beyond that, since this is my 1st introduction to Wright's life story, I have nothing to gauge the facts, but it's certainly enlightening and entertaining.
Emily
Wright was a genius to be sure, but at what price? A true rock star of the architectural scene, he demanded and cajoled his way through the 20th century creating beautiful pieces of art that leaked and were at times unlivable. I was taken in by Adkins thorough explanation of architechure, history and the personal life of Frank Lloyd Wright. Best for high school readers.
Barb
Getting ready to visit a Wright house - Falling waters - and wanted a bit of background. This was a quick read to give me just a taste for his life and work. If I wanted an in-depth look I would have been disappointed but this work had just the level of detail I wanted to introduce me to Wrights life.
Faithe
GOOD READ. Had previously read "Loving Frank" and got a truly different angle on the man... self-centered, egotistical, disregard for any one else's input to their own projects. I wish it had shown a softer side - maybe?
Rachel Terry
A nice, fast-moving biography that doesn't gloss over Wright's personality, unlike a certain documentary about him that I just watched.
PWRL
Sep 05, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Fokruddin Khondaker
Fokruddin Khondaker marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Karen
Karen added it
Mar 28, 2013
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2012
Anakin
Anakin marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
Angelique
Angelique marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2012
Rachel
Rachel added it
Dec 08, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2012
Jan Adkins, called “the consummate teacher” by David Macaulay, is the author and illustrator of more than three dozen books covering history, technology, and many other topics. They include Bridges From My Side to Yours and What If You Met a Pirate. Jan Adkins lives in Novato, California.
More about Jan Adkins...
Thomas Edison John Adams: Young Revolutionary What If You Met A Pirate? Moving Heavy Things A Storm Without Rain: A Novel in Time