Start by marking “The Five Books of Moses: The Schocken Bible: Volume I / Deluxe Edition (Schocken Bible)” as Want to Read:

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"No serious Bible reader--whether Jewish, Christian, or secular--can afford to ignore this volume."
--Jon D. Levenson, Harvard Divinity School

This translation is a stunning achievement--to read it is to hear the Bible as if for the first time.While other English translations of the Bible render its language as if it had been written in English, this new translation re-crea
Published October 21st 1997 by Schocken (first published November 7th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Five Books of Moses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Books of Moses

Michael Jones
this has seriously become my most worn-out resource for preparing sermons on my shelf! Generally, I use the computer Bibles to prepare sermons, but whenever I am getting into the first five books, I take the time to go out and sit and soak up this book for the passage I'm using. It often captures the Hebrew poetry and gives many new insights.

I occasionally disagree with this choice of words, and occasionally he misses things that I would think are important, so 4.5. This book is a tremendous thi
Peter
This translation of the Pentateuch with its detailed commentaries gave me a much greater insight into both the Jewish faith and tradition, and consequently the Hebrew origins of my own (Christian) faith. I would recommend this to anyone seeking to better understand how the Hebrews saw themselves in relation to YHWH. I also find it useful as a means to making better sense of the Bible's account of creation and how that conflicts with modern scientific knowledge.
Susie
A fascinating version of the first five books of the Bible. Translated to sound like an English version of the Hebrew text, so full of images that sound foreign but rich. A great way to immerse oneself further in the Biblical text and its mindset as a way to understand it better. Sometimes hard to read, but generally only because it is highlighting where the Bible's mindset is distant from ours today.
MK Fong
Great reading and tons of help in providing background info.
And the generous size font are also a nice touch.
This is a successful project done with great care and consideration.
Wonderful.
Andrew Franklin
Fell in love with the Pentateuch after this one. Great translation, especially Genesis and Exodus, that brings old stories to life.
Leah
The sound and the sense...of the original.

Newly translated by Everett Fox with (lots of) commentary and notes, this version of Torah brings with it a lifetime of devotion and scholarship; it is an outstanding study resource and an exceptional choice for public reading. Fox brings the sensibilities, rhythms, literary devices, and general styles of the original Hebrew into English in ways that make reader and especially anyone listening during worship wonder if they've really heard that passage be
Caroline
I love Everett Fox's translation of the Torah. It's beautiful. It's lyrical, in the manner of the Hebrew. Genesis starts:
"At the begining of G!d's creating of the heavens and the earth,
when the earth was wild and waste,
darkness over the face of Ocean,
rushing-spirit of G!d hovering over the face of the waters--
G!d said: Let there be light! And there was light.
G!d saw the light: that it was good.
G!d seperated the light from the darkness.
G!d called the light: Day! and the darkness he called: Night!
Robert Murphy
This book is an indispensable commentary on the Pentateuch. In the age old tradition of the Targums - translations as commentary - Fox writes about the Five Books of Moses by re-writing them. The translation is fresh and engaging. If you want to hear the texts as if they were new, this is for you. His comments reveal his unbelieving Jewish background at times, but are generally very helpful. I recommend this book very highly.
Wayne
Here is an interesting approach to translation, capturing the experience of the Hebrew language in terms of cadence (rhythm) and sound as read aloud. Repetition, allusion, alliteration, and wordplay. This is a very different approach from most modern translations which seek to translate the text into readily accessible, modern english.
Jon-Erik
Unless you're reading the Hebrew, this is really the only translation to use. The Torah wasn't written in fancy language appropriate for Rococo cathedrals and salons. It was written in the earthy raw language of the ancient near east. It comes through in this translation better than in any other English one.
Ellen
As a Catholic, this was an exciting book for me! I still rave about it and I bought a book from the first printing. To see the exact meaning of the words used in the first five books of scripture and to learn all the new information was thrilling. It got me reading Martin Buber.
Nick Urban
I read Genesis and Exodus. Mr. Fox claims he is attempting to preserve the rhythm of the Hebrew in this translation, and I have to say that of all the translations I have looked at, this seems to be the most enjoyable to read (it almost demands to be read aloud).
Alix
This is a real eye opener, if you study Torah or the Bible. This provides a much more literally-accurate presentation (and I mean that in the literary sense), with tons of historical information that the common person doesn't know. Very revealing.
Craig DiLouie
This is the Bible as you've never read it before, as close to the original voice, language and meaning as you can get. I felt like I was reading Genesis for the first time with this remarkable translation.
Jim
6-star book!

i'm rereading this, my favorite translation, for the fifth or sixth time.

Fox is a poet and wonderful scholar
Paul
Jul 09, 2009 Paul marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kind-of-reading
This is a translation I'm using this year, and it cotains commentary on the Torah also.
bryan
A wonderful edition. The good folks at Schocken need to get crackin' on Volume 2.
Balthazar
The best translation of the saucy stories of the Torah I've ever seen.
Kenneth LeFebvre
Jan 04, 2009 Kenneth LeFebvre rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Kenneth by: a teacher at Hebrew University that I respect
Shelves: owned
This is my all-time favorite translation of the Torah into English.
Thomas Blake
Historical commentary and translation of the Torah
Steve
Useful, especially as a reference.
Auntie J
Oct 11, 2012 Auntie J marked it as looks-interesting-maybe-read  ·  review of another edition
Gavriel's favorite translation.
Jose Harran
Jose Harran marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Emmock
Emmock marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Tonya Miller
Tonya Miller marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Dec 10, 2014
Gregory Harris
Gregory Harris marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • The Jewish Study Bible
  • The Book of Psalms: A Translation with Commentary
  • The Complete Gospels: Annotated Scholar's Version
  • The Oxford Companion to the Bible
  • To Pray As A Jew: A Guide To The Prayer Book And The Synagogue Service
  • The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon
  • The Chumash: The Stone Edition, Full Size (ArtScroll) (English and Hebrew Edition) The Torah: Haftaros and Five Megillos with a Commentary Anthologized from the Rabbinic Writings
  • God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism
  • Message of the Psalms
  • Muhammad
  • The Beginning of Desire
  • Gospel Parallels: A Comparison of the Synoptic Gospels, NRSV
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Quran Life Application Study Bible: NIV