Start by marking “Science Made Stupid: How to Discomprehend the World Around Us” as Want to Read:
Science Made Stupid: How to Discomprehend the World Around Us

Science Made Stupid: How to Discomprehend the World Around Us

Science Made Stupid is a book that teaches one how to discomprehend the world around us!
Published March 3rd 1985 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about Science Made Stupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science Made Stupid

Jessica
May 01, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
I read Science Made Stupid because Mathematics Made Difficult was proving to be too far over my head and I needed something a little, well, stupider. Science Made Stupid is full of lots of pictures and is sort of a Monty Python take on science, with diagrams of things like theories of the solar system, such as geocentric (Earth in the middle), heliocentric (sun in the middle), ethnocentric (USA in the middle and China, Europe, the moon, and the sun in orbit around it), and egocentric (person in ...more
Christopher
Sep 24, 2007 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: science junkies and the people who love them
This is one of top three favorite books of all time. It's not an exaggeration to say that this book changed my life, because reading it in college was the first time I ever saw "my brand of humor" in concentrated form. It kind of served as a social shibboleth in college; if you didn't think the book was very funny, then we probably weren't going to hit it off as friends. It helped inspire me, then a math and science nerd, to begin writing satirically (and no, I'm not being satirical there). And ...more
Shelly
Sep 23, 2007 Shelly rated it it was amazing
For science nerds, this is a truly funny book. I love it so much I even gave a copy to my favorite Archaeology professor. Even those not all that interested in science will probably find the humor here and enjoy the book.
Erik
Jan 30, 2008 Erik rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: david richards, michael ashburne
Recommended to Erik by: Anne Gray
The funniest book I have ever seen in my entire life, without a doubt. This book damn near killed me because I couldn't breathe.

They go for a fortune now, but once I find my copy, I still wouldn't sell it.
Aaron Kaase
This is a very silly book! Anyone who has a basic understanding of high-school level natural and physical sciences will have a good laugh at some of the satire in this “textbook”.
Rob
Apr 20, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
Our planet's answer to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the actual guide, if it existed). A must-read reference.
Daniel A.
Oct 29, 2013 Daniel A. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: science buffs who like to laugh
Occasionally—and with luck, more frequently than that—even the silliest satire has its moments. Science Made Stupid by Tom Weller had more than just a few moments; it also had some real biting material interjected within.

Often a throw-it-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach doesn't work for humor, much less satire, but Weller makes it work on both levels in Science Made Stupid, and I get the impression that part of the reason is that he does indeed have sufficient scientific background
Sep 25, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: humour, bullshit
I picked this book up at a gift shop in the Smithsonian Institution in eighth grade, a rather long time ago.

I have honestly revisted it at least yearly since then, as I have taken more and more science courses and come to understand more and more of the humor, most of which was completely beyond me in Junior High. This is a must-read for science teachers, professors, and anyone with a sense of humor... I particularly recommend the "chapter" on the Evolution/Intelligent Design debate.
Carolyn
Sep 30, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
This book is still hilarious every time I pull it out. Too bad it's out of print. The pic of the stupid dinosaurs kills me every time.

Why, Tom Weller, why aren't you still writing/illustrating? Oh well. Anyway, your zucchini recipes are the best.

Bob
Apr 10, 2008 Bob rated it it was amazing
best science book in the whole world.

unfortunately, it's out of print. but I have a copy, ha!
Heather
Jul 24, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hysterical
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it it was amazing
False
Lafcadio
Jul 30, 2007 Lafcadio rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Roger Bacon (or Francis Bacon)
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Richard
Shelves: foyer, room-13, upper-arm
Learn a plethora of scientific data, such as the elements of the periodic table: nylon, teflon, velcro, xerox, marzipan, alimony, irony, lanolin, zinfandel, drano, linoleum, etc.
Shelly
Jan 02, 2009 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hysterical. Once at a teaching conference some of us science teachers who have copies of the book decided it should be THE text for all science classes.
Jules
Jun 09, 2008 Jules rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor and marginal science knowledge
I've loved this book since I was a kid.
Kelley
Kelley rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2007
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2013
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2009
Nina Paley
Nina Paley rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jobiska (Cindy) rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2011
Stewart Tame
Stewart Tame rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Peter Tillman
Peter Tillman rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Barron
Barron rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2008
Niles Donegan
Niles Donegan rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2012
Seizure Romero
Seizure Romero rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2007
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2012
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
May 16, 2017
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2009