Start by marking “Science Made Stupid: How to Discomprehend the World Around Us” as Want to Read:
Science Made Stupid: How to Discomprehend the World Around Us

Science Made Stupid: How to Discomprehend the World Around Us

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Science Made Stupid is a book that teaches one how to discomprehend the world around us!
Published March 3rd 1985 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about Science Made Stupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science Made Stupid

Christopher
Sep 24, 2007 Christopher rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: science junkies and the people who love them
This is one of top three favorite books of all time. It's not an exaggeration to say that this book changed my life, because reading it in college was the first time I ever saw "my brand of humor" in concentrated form. It kind of served as a social shibboleth in college; if you didn't think the book was very funny, then we probably weren't going to hit it off as friends. It helped inspire me, then a math and science nerd, to begin writing satirically (and no, I'm not being satirical there). And ...more
Jessica
I read Science Made Stupid because Mathematics Made Difficult was proving to be too far over my head and I needed something a little, well, stupider. Science Made Stupid is full of lots of pictures and is sort of a Monty Python take on science, with diagrams of things like theories of the solar system, such as geocentric (Earth in the middle), heliocentric (sun in the middle), ethnocentric (USA in the middle and China, Europe, the moon, and the sun in orbit around it), and egocentric (person in ...more
Sep 25, 2007 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: bullshit, humour
I picked this book up at a gift shop in the Smithsonian Institution in eighth grade, a rather long time ago.

I have honestly revisted it at least yearly since then, as I have taken more and more science courses and come to understand more and more of the humor, most of which was completely beyond me in Junior High. This is a must-read for science teachers, professors, and anyone with a sense of humor... I particularly recommend the "chapter" on the Evolution/Intelligent Design debate.
Carolyn
This book is still hilarious every time I pull it out. Too bad it's out of print. The pic of the stupid dinosaurs kills me every time.

Why, Tom Weller, why aren't you still writing/illustrating? Oh well. Anyway, your zucchini recipes are the best.

Shelly
For science nerds, this is a truly funny book. I love it so much I even gave a copy to my favorite Archaeology professor. Even those not all that interested in science will probably find the humor here and enjoy the book.
Erik
Jan 30, 2008 Erik rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: david richards, michael ashburne
Recommended to Erik by: Anne Gray
The funniest book I have ever seen in my entire life, without a doubt. This book damn near killed me because I couldn't breathe.

They go for a fortune now, but once I find my copy, I still wouldn't sell it.
Aaron Kaase
This is a very silly book! Anyone who has a basic understanding of high-school level natural and physical sciences will have a good laugh at some of the satire in this “textbook”.
Lafcadio
Jan 14, 2008 Lafcadio rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Roger Bacon (or Francis Bacon)
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Richard
Shelves: foyer, room-13, upper-arm
Learn a plethora of scientific data, such as the elements of the periodic table: nylon, teflon, velcro, xerox, marzipan, alimony, irony, lanolin, zinfandel, drano, linoleum, etc.
Shelly
Absolutely hysterical. Once at a teaching conference some of us science teachers who have copies of the book decided it should be THE text for all science classes.
Rob
Our planet's answer to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the actual guide, if it existed). A must-read reference.
Bob
best science book in the whole world.

unfortunately, it's out of print. but I have a copy, ha!
Jules
Jun 09, 2008 Jules rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor and marginal science knowledge
I've loved this book since I was a kid.
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Gemma Correll
Gemma Correll marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
David
David added it
Mar 23, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Shanea
Shanea marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Rexi
Rexi marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Culture Made Stupid: A Misguided Tour of Illiterature, Fine & Dandy Arts, & the Subhumanities The Book of Stupid Questions Minims: A Knowledge of Sanskrit Is of Little Use to a Man Trapped in a Sewer Minims, Or, Man Is The Only Animal That Wears Bow Ties