Start by marking “The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life” as Want to Read:
The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life

The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  595 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Dr. Ben Carson is known as the originator of ground-breaking surgical procedures, a doctor who turn impossible hopes into joyous realities. He is known as well as a compassionate humanitarian who reaches beyond corporate boardrooms to touch the lives of inner-city kids. What drives him? The Big Picture. A vision of something truly worth living for, something that calls for ...more
Published October 15th 2000 by Zondervan (first published January 26th 1999)

Catherine White
Nov 25, 2015 Catherine White rated it it was amazing
Ben Carson came on my radar when he became a household name after his speech at Obama's National Prayer Breakfast in 2013. In the prayer breakfast he lambasted the direction America is heading and warned about the perils of the “moral decay and fiscal irresponsibility” that face the nation.

The Big Picture, which came after the National Prayer Breakfast, is an excellent insight into his life and perspective as the world's foremost neurosurgeon. The book is primarily about the role of perspective,
Angela
Jul 22, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Fantastic! A must read for everyone. He is a true example of the power of education. Dr. Carson states that education is an equalizer and he is right. One of many things I love about this book is how his mother's insistence that he read became a life changing/life defining moment for him. Books can transform lives and he is living proof of that.
Scott Tsao
Jun 05, 2013 Scott Tsao rated it it was amazing
For me, having already read Dr. Carson's "America the Beautiful" and "Take the Risk", the 'meat' of this book really starts at Chapter 5 (Seeing the Big Picture). First of all, I noticed that Dr. Carson is a person who likes to use acrostics such as:
- Negative PEERS stands for People who Encourage Errors, Rudeness, and Stupidity.
- THINK BIG stands for Talent-Honesty-Insight-Nice-Knowledge-Books-In-depth learning-God.

Also, Dr. Carson considers himself a privileged person, any individual who has b
Larisha
Nov 21, 2010 Larisha rated it it was amazing
As Jesus says.. "I came so that they may have life & life more abundantly," Dr. Carson shows that anyone can live life to its fullest when one lives by Godly principles,success is available to all!!

The Big Picture demonstrates that if one man could touch the world with his God given talents, we could all strive to empower others with the same enthusiasm. Everyone can be the victor, and not a victim regardless of one's beginnings.

Dr. Carson demonstrates that though we have no choice in our bi
Glenda Nelson
Mar 23, 2008 Glenda Nelson rated it it was amazing
Again, I'm biased here. I attend the same discussion group at church with Dr. Carson. This man is truly an amazingly humble human being. I'm blessed to have made his acquaintance. His story is amazing and his dedication to family is inpsiring ... he leads by example.
Don Weidinger
Jul 05, 2015 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Siamese twins, pray for direction, never underestimate allowing Him to operate, say prayers not worry, need more wisdom for big picture, tell lessons learned incredible potential, desire from 8 physical mental spiritual healing, turn off tv 2 programs and 2 books a week, enamored with sports as others history to learn from, high school peers, honesty insight/history nice/caring.
Daniel Belay
Dec 05, 2015 Daniel Belay rated it really liked it
The book's perspective is one of moderation, common sense, and clear morals-driven thinking. Carson's ability to reason through conventionally difficult topics (at least at this time in his life) shows a depth of insight that makes for a great read. The book reads more like a coffeeshop conversation, but is full of brief insights that have lasting value.
Angelaxuli
Feb 26, 2015 Angelaxuli rated it really liked it
I completely agree with his attitude of not being a victim. Especially like his comment about "politically correct". Loves what he says about what president should say "You look like a very capable person and I'm sure you can find a better job".

His suggestion about health care reform is also very interesting.
Reid Bednar
Apr 25, 2014 Reid Bednar rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly inspirational and full of life lessons. I appreciate how well rounded Ben Carson's intelligence is. He is the brightest neurosurgeon out there. This book taught me so much about life in general.
Jason Duncan
Feb 02, 2016 Jason Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
Overall an excellent book.
An encouraging book that helps motivate us to strive & achieve our best with integrity.
Last chapter talks about the American health system, which is all relevant - & I do agree with. Though living in Australia gives me insight into their system.
Sylvia
Sep 16, 2015 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
While reading this book, Ben Carson shines a vivid light into a hopeless situation. I first discovered this particular one roughly ten years ago, and while reading Dr. Carson's "The Big Picture" he really serves as a counselor and a compass to where true worth lies. In this book, he lays out basic principles that guided him from extreme poverty into being the youngest pediatric neurosurgeon of his time. He emphasizes the importance of reading, and how this was an essential key that bought him th ...more
Leslie
Jun 15, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it
I like what Dr. Carson has to say, but his writing style was not captivating to me. I loved the surgery stories, and the evidence of God's intervention.
Danmcgohan
Jun 26, 2014 Danmcgohan rated it really liked it
Dr. Carson relates to the bottom line of importance. He illustrates how his training and belief in God has enabled him to see "The Big Picture." Truly an inspiring book and man.
Lesley
Mar 24, 2008 Lesley rated it really liked it
Another totally inspirational author. Unfortunately his books are not available in South Africa but are well worth ordering from the US. Ben Carson grew up in a single parent household, with an illiterate mother who had three jobs to try and make ends meet. Ben was violent (he even tried to stab a friend) and was the dumb kid in his class. At the age of 33 he became the youngest Head of Neurosurgery in the US. What happened in between? Find out when you read the book!
Dana
Aug 16, 2014 Dana rated it it was ok
Some good reminders about life and thoughtful insights albeit sometimes espoused haughtily from his soapbox.
Eric Burgan
Dec 07, 2015 Eric Burgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. The last 2 chapters were a bit heavy on implementing change in the health care system, but the rest of the book was really empowering. Ben Carson did a great job and I am looking forward to reading his other books.
Em
Feb 15, 2009 Em rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Ben Carson is a man of many accomplishments. He has some good ideas about a lot of things. But this book does him a disservice as it sounds preachy, pretentious, and repetative. I think this is an editorial problem. But it doesn't make me want to read another book anytime soon. I think if I had to do it all over again...I'd start with his original memoir and forget all the other books.
Heather
Aug 27, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone, but especially parents, teachers and healthcare professionals
Recommended to Heather by: It was a gift from a dear friend
Inspiring! Ben Carson shares his view of current American culture, our educational system and healthcare. His story includes a lot of good reminder for parents as he talks about being raised by an illiterate single mother in the projects of Detroit and how he overcomes his surroundings and becomes a prominent pediatric neurosurgeon.
Darlene
Aug 08, 2011 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This confirms that people can do anything that they make a priority. It was very uplifting for me to read about how Carson became a neurosurgeon amid the disadvantages he faced. His philosophy with regard to achievement can be applied to any situation. His humanitarian attitude is to be commended.

Stacy
Aug 05, 2008 Stacy rated it really liked it
A wise friend recommended this book. Loved the author's outlook on parenting and education. Wide variety of topics from health care to racial diversity. Underlying theme promotes race relations/understanding. The author is a brain surgeon that specializes in separating siamese twins.
Aurora
Jul 27, 2010 Aurora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational, pma
Dr. Ben Carson's story is so inspiring!!! Whether you're interested in the medical field or not, his story or perseverence is just absolutely astounding and definitely worth the read! =)

(if you saw my review for 'Gifted Hands', that was a mistake! i read 'The Big Picture')
Andy Anderson
May 14, 2013 Andy Anderson rated it it was amazing
Hardship, victim mentality, parenting, determining what's important and being nice are some of the authors topics. Great discussion on race relations, education and health care. A good book on looking at the big picture with many innovative ideas.
Priscilla
Oct 04, 2007 Priscilla rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who feel they are inferior
Ben was about why u should succeed. I learn t that i need to work hard and Neva to follow bad peers (People who Encourage Errors, Rudeness and Stupidity). Also education was truly the great equalizer. Faith was also not left out in the first two chapters.
Alice
Jul 01, 2008 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I really liked Ben Carson when I read his first book,but in the years since I have felt even more love and respect for this gifted surgeon as we have become friends with the family of one of his pediatric patients who is now a thriving teenager!
Nje
Mar 22, 2011 Nje rated it really liked it
I had wanted to read this book for several years before I finally got a copy. It is a good recup of all his earlier book and more. I just feel encouraged to give my very best in whatever I do when I read Dr. Carson's book and this is no exception.
Sandy Khomenko
Sep 19, 2014 Sandy Khomenko rated it liked it
I love his books! But this one...not so much! The problems discussed in this book are often irrelevant for my country. And the whole idea is not very clear for me.
Gina Herald
Apr 19, 2011 Gina Herald rated it it was amazing
Love Dr. Ben Carson. His entire story is one of strong faith, amazing gifts and God's grace and guidance on this journey of life. Another overcomer.
Shin Hum
Aug 15, 2012 Shin Hum rated it really liked it
Very touching book on growing up in a slum and becoming one of the best neurosurgeon doctor in John Hopkins. This is what I call a real doctor.
S642531
I think that the book is very motivating. It can be a sad story because of the way he describes the way he lived when he was very young.
John Fletcher
Jan 01, 2016 John Fletcher rated it it was amazing
Great book about what is important in life from some one who has cultivated the gifts and talents in their own life
  • Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
  • Seven from Heaven: The Miracle of the McCaughey Septuplets
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Crucified Again: Exposing Islam’s New War on Christians
  • My Life as a Furry Red Monster: What Being Elmo Has Taught Me About Life, Love and Laughing Out Loud
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • The Faith Of George W. Bush
  • A Free People's Suicide: Sustainable Freedom and the American Future
  • David Livingstone
  • On Conan Doyle
  • The World Turned Upside Down: The Global Battle over God, Truth, and Power
  • A Heart for Freedom: The Remarkable Journey of a Young Dissident, Her Daring Escape, and Her Quest to Free China's Daughters
  • Target Patton: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton
  • Unlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and the End of American Debate
  • Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)
  • Tending Lives: Nurses on the Medical Front
  • DREAMS AND VISIONS: Is Jesus Awakening the Muslim World?
  • God's Double Agent: The True Story of a Chinese Christian's Fight for Freedom
Benjamin Solomon "Ben" Carson, Sr., M.D. is an American neurosurgeon and the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States by President George W. Bush in 2008.
More about Ben Carson...