The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life

The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  400 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Dr. Ben Carson is known as the originator of ground-breaking surgical procedures, a doctor who turn impossible hopes into joyous realities. He is known as well as a compassionate humanitarian who reaches beyond corporate boardrooms to touch the lives of inner-city kids. What drives him? The Big Picture. A vision of something truly worth living for, something that calls for...more
Published October 15th 2000 by Zondervan (first published January 26th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Picture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Picture

The Color Purple by Alice WalkerI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouBeloved by Toni MorrisonInvisible Man by Ralph EllisonThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
Black History Month
132nd out of 300 books — 330 voters
America the Beautiful by Ben CarsonJulius Caesar by William ShakespeareReminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin LefèvreThe Elegance of Curiosity by Enos MutwaleThe Elegance of Curiosity by Enos Mutwale
The Elegance of Curiosity
23rd out of 37 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela
Jul 22, 2012 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Fantastic! A must read for everyone. He is a true example of the power of education. Dr. Carson states that education is an equalizer and he is right. One of many things I love about this book is how his mother's insistence that he read became a life changing/life defining moment for him. Books can transform lives and he is living proof of that.
Scott Tsao
For me, having already read Dr. Carson's "America the Beautiful" and "Take the Risk", the 'meat' of this book really starts at Chapter 5 (Seeing the Big Picture). First of all, I noticed that Dr. Carson is a person who likes to use acrostics such as:
- Negative PEERS stands for People who Encourage Errors, Rudeness, and Stupidity.
- THINK BIG stands for Talent-Honesty-Insight-Nice-Knowledge-Books-In-depth learning-God.

Also, Dr. Carson considers himself a privileged person, any individual who has b...more
Larisha
As Jesus says.. "I came so that they may have life & life more abundantly," Dr. Carson shows that anyone can live life to its fullest when one lives by Godly principles,success is available to all!!

The Big Picture demonstrates that if one man could touch the world with his God given talents, we could all strive to empower others with the same enthusiasm. Everyone can be the victor, and not a victim regardless of one's beginnings.

Dr. Carson demonstrates that though we have no choice in our bi...more
Glenda Nelson
Again, I'm biased here. I attend the same discussion group at church with Dr. Carson. This man is truly an amazingly humble human being. I'm blessed to have made his acquaintance. His story is amazing and his dedication to family is inpsiring ... he leads by example.
Reid Bednar
This book was incredibly inspirational and full of life lessons. I appreciate how well rounded Ben Carson's intelligence is. He is the brightest neurosurgeon out there. This book taught me so much about life in general.
Saralyn
Excellent. I think everyone should read this book. Ben Carson is insightful and interesting.
Leslie
I like what Dr. Carson has to say, but his writing style was not captivating to me. I loved the surgery stories, and the evidence of God's intervention.
Danmcgohan
Dr. Carson relates to the bottom line of importance. He illustrates how his training and belief in God has enabled him to see "The Big Picture." Truly an inspiring book and man.
Lesley
Another totally inspirational author. Unfortunately his books are not available in South Africa but are well worth ordering from the US. Ben Carson grew up in a single parent household, with an illiterate mother who had three jobs to try and make ends meet. Ben was violent (he even tried to stab a friend) and was the dumb kid in his class. At the age of 33 he became the youngest Head of Neurosurgery in the US. What happened in between? Find out when you read the book!
Dana
Some good reminders about life and thoughtful insights albeit sometimes espoused haughtily from his soapbox.
Em
Ben Carson is a man of many accomplishments. He has some good ideas about a lot of things. But this book does him a disservice as it sounds preachy, pretentious, and repetative. I think this is an editorial problem. But it doesn't make me want to read another book anytime soon. I think if I had to do it all over again...I'd start with his original memoir and forget all the other books.
Heather
Aug 27, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone, but especially parents, teachers and healthcare professionals
Recommended to Heather by: It was a gift from a dear friend
Inspiring! Ben Carson shares his view of current American culture, our educational system and healthcare. His story includes a lot of good reminder for parents as he talks about being raised by an illiterate single mother in the projects of Detroit and how he overcomes his surroundings and becomes a prominent pediatric neurosurgeon.
Darlene
This confirms that people can do anything that they make a priority. It was very uplifting for me to read about how Carson became a neurosurgeon amid the disadvantages he faced. His philosophy with regard to achievement can be applied to any situation. His humanitarian attitude is to be commended.

Stacy
A wise friend recommended this book. Loved the author's outlook on parenting and education. Wide variety of topics from health care to racial diversity. Underlying theme promotes race relations/understanding. The author is a brain surgeon that specializes in separating siamese twins.
Aurora
Dr. Ben Carson's story is so inspiring!!! Whether you're interested in the medical field or not, his story or perseverence is just absolutely astounding and definitely worth the read! =)

(if you saw my review for 'Gifted Hands', that was a mistake! i read 'The Big Picture')
Andy Anderson
Hardship, victim mentality, parenting, determining what's important and being nice are some of the authors topics. Great discussion on race relations, education and health care. A good book on looking at the big picture with many innovative ideas.
Priscilla
Oct 04, 2007 Priscilla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who feel they are inferior
Ben was about why u should succeed. I learn t that i need to work hard and Neva to follow bad peers (People who Encourage Errors, Rudeness and Stupidity). Also education was truly the great equalizer. Faith was also not left out in the first two chapters.
Alice
I really liked Ben Carson when I read his first book,but in the years since I have felt even more love and respect for this gifted surgeon as we have become friends with the family of one of his pediatric patients who is now a thriving teenager!
Nje
I had wanted to read this book for several years before I finally got a copy. It is a good recup of all his earlier book and more. I just feel encouraged to give my very best in whatever I do when I read Dr. Carson's book and this is no exception.
Gina Herald
Love Dr. Ben Carson. His entire story is one of strong faith, amazing gifts and God's grace and guidance on this journey of life. Another overcomer.
Shin Hum
Very touching book on growing up in a slum and becoming one of the best neurosurgeon doctor in John Hopkins. This is what I call a real doctor.
S642531
I think that the book is very motivating. It can be a sad story because of the way he describes the way he lived when he was very young.
Kamal
Great story...great life... but misses the mark with its too simplistic of an approach and lot of repetition..
Traci
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book. This doctor has such an incredible story to tell. This is a great read aloud to children.
Marilee
Almost 14 years ago, Ben Carson was warning of the problems with our health care system - it's a shame no one listened!
Steve lockwood
He began as the dumbest in his class and is now one of the 'smartest in the world'. Encouraging for sure.
Indrek Vainu
audiobook, inspirational story, good insight and account of some of the toughest surgeries
Lolly
Jan 25, 2010 Lolly marked it as to-read
I read a few chapters before I had to return it to the library. I need to read the whole thing.
Erin
Addresses a lot of big issues in the world today, and gives a lot to think about.
Tracy
Inspiring. I appreciate his strong convictions and communication of truth.
  • Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
  • Unlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and the End of American Debate
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)
  • Tending Lives: Nurses on the Medical Front
  • Jurnalul fericirii
  • The Principles and Power of Vision
  • Diary of a Player: How My Musical Heroes Made a Guitar Man Out of Me
  • Walk on Water: The Miracle of Saving Children's Lives
  • Steps to Christ
  • The Winning Attitude: Your Pathway to Personal Success
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • The Roots of Obama's Rage
  • My Personal Best: Life Lessons from an All-American Journey
  • An American Son: A Memoir
  • Rumsfeld's Rules: Leadership Lessons in Business, Politics, War, and Life
  • Grace, Gold, and Glory: My Leap of Faith
  • The Tempting of America
Benjamin Solomon "Ben" Carson, Sr., M.D. is an American neurosurgeon and the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States by President George W. Bush in 2008.
More about Ben Carson...
Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great Think Big: Unleashing Your Potential for Excellence Take the Risk: Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk One Nation: What We Can All Do to Save America's Future