The Office of the Dead (The Roth Trilogy, #3)

The Office of the Dead (Roth #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Janet Byfield has everything Wendy Appleyard lacks: she's beautiful; she has a handsome husband, a clergyman on the verge of promotion; and most of all she has an adorable little daughter, Rosie. So when Wendy's life falls apart, it's to her oldest friend, Janet, that she turns.

At first it seems to Wendy asa though nothing can touch the Byfields' perfect existence in 1950s...more
Published 2000 by HarperCollins (first published August 11th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Office of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Office of the Dead

Heidi
This was a book that took some digesting as it was the last of a trilogy which goes backward in time. First book, the actions of a child abductor/murderer (female). In the second book, twenty years before the first, the events surrounding said murderer as a teenage girl; in the third, this one, the seminal events shaping the murderer, at age 4. I think Andrew Taylor is a fantastic writer and thinker -- he writes "mere" mysteries but they're wonderfully psychologically complex, and at the same ti...more
Kathleen Hagen
Office of the Dead, by Andrew Taylor. A. This is the last of the Roth Trilogy. Downloaded from audible.com.
This is one of these series where the last book is written first, and you go back progressively to earlier generations or layers with each book. The only thing I dislike about this is that if you read the series with too much time in between the books, you can’t keep it in perspective. Now that I’ve read all three, and have Office of the Dead fresh in mind, I think I’ll reread The Judgment...more
Linda
he Office of the Dead is the third volume in Taylor’s Roth Trilogy, in which his readers come to understand how a little girl evolved into a serial killer. Wendy Appleyard leaves her husband after discovering his infidelity, and, not knowing where to turn, takes refuge with her friend Janet Byfield, now married to a handsome, up and coming C of E clergyman. The Byfields are pleased to welcome Wendy, who can assist Janet in the running of her household, which encompasses their daughter Rosie and...more
Tracy
Sep 17, 2009 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robert
I read this one "out of order" - meaning I read it after reading "The Four Last Things." I think that's okay, though. I saw the tie-ins to "TFLT" and can't wait to read "The Judgement of Others" to complete the circle. Rosie just creeped me out and I could feel her evil growing. Looking forward to reading about the middle years in the second installment...
Kirsty Darbyshire
The third volume of the Roth trilogy was also the best but that might have something to do with the build up to it. I'm really very impressed with this threesome. As a whole it's unlikely to get beaten as my 'best book of 2003' - it's published in one volume now so I think I can get away with that.
Jj Le
from start to finish this book was not as good. As the first three books. It was long and drawn out. It was really hard to even finish. But when I read the other two books it was great. And I enjoyed it a lot. But sorry Mr. Taylor just very hard to read.
Nancy
May 21, 2011 Nancy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: series book
Not as good as the previous two books in the series, but still very readable. Maybe I was getting tired of the whole mystery angle. Some of the revelations were surprising, others mundane. The ending was a little disappointing.
Nina Chachu
I am not sure what I expected when I started reading this novel; more of a thriller/suspense novel perhaps? But I enjoyed it nonetheless, despite some slightly slower passages.
Oliver
An eerie conclusion to the Roth trilogy. A good case made for either close reading of poetry, or just skipping it altogether.
Ryan
Interesting, a book trilogy that starts at the end and ends at the begining of the story,
Cindy
Ok way to kill time.
Jenn Ferris
Jenn Ferris marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Tera Baird
Tera Baird marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
  • Breakheart Hill
  • The Innocent Spy (DI Ted Stratton, #1)
  • The Damascened Blade (Joe Sandilands, #3)
  • Revenger (John Shakespeare, #2)
  • Blitz (Inspector Brant, #4)
  • The Magician's Death (Hugh Corbett, #14)
  • Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)
  • The Calling (Hazel Micallef Mystery #1)
  • The Snow Falcon
  • The Deep End
  • Flawless
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Upp till toppen av berget (A-gruppen, #3)
  • The Cure of Souls (Merrily Watkins, #4)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2007
  • The Man Who Killed His Brother
  • Two for the Lions (Marcus Didius Falco, #10)
  • Soul Patch (Moe Prager, #4)
Andrew Taylor (b. 1951) is a British author of mysteries. Born in East Anglia, he attended university at Cambridge before getting an MA in library sciences from University College London. His first novel, Caroline Miniscule (1982), a modern-day treasure hunt starring history student William Dougal, began an eight-book series and won Taylor wide critical acclaim. He has written several other thrill...more
More about Andrew Taylor...
The American Boy The Anatomy of Ghosts Bleeding Heart Square The Four Last Things (Roth, #1) The Judgement of Strangers (The Roth Trilogy, #2)

“Time doesn't heal, it just gives you other things to think about.” 5 likes