Start by marking “Plain Jane” as Want to Read:
Plain Jane

Plain Jane (A House for the Season #2)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  572 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
1808 London, at unlucky 67 Clarges Street, servants help frizzy-hair Jane Hart attain Lord Beau Tregarthan, her dream since age ten, when she fell from a tree seeing his chest bared to box Jack Death. Elder sister Euphemia is the Season's blue-eyed blonde, but Jane is curious and determined. How could former resident pretty Clara die without a mark on her?
Unknown Binding, First Edition, 171 pages
Published January 1st 1986 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Plain Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plain Jane

Pia Ferrara
Dec 05, 2014 Pia Ferrara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, fiction
In questo periodo leggo spesso M.C. Beaton: dopo Agatha Raisin non mi sono lasciata sfuggire Jane la bruttina, secondo volume della serie A house for the season. Ho anche il primo, ma ho letto prima questo perché inesplicabilmente è stato tradotto come primo in Italia. La serie ha in sé qualcosa di geniale: immaginate Downton Abbey, le storie dei nobili da una parte e quelle della servitù dall'altra. Immaginate il sense of humor tipicamente british e un tocco di omicidio in puro stile Agatha Chr ...more
Helene Harrison
Review - The servants in the house at Clarges Street are growing on me more and more, particularly Rainbird. It is difficult to know what to think generally of the tenants of the house because by the time you've got to know them a little, the book is finished. Sometimes I think that these books could do with being a little longer and more detailed, but part of their charm is how short they are. The Regency society comes across well, the little we see of it, and the servants lives are interesting ...more
QNPoohBear
Poor Jane Hart has the misfortune to be the younger sister of the stunningly beautiful Euphemia who their pushy mother feels will be sure to take the ton by storm during the Season. Jane doesn't mind not having a come out as long as she holds hope of seeing her hero, Lord Tregarthan again. The servants at 67 Clarges street must learn to deal with the tightfisted and bossy Mrs. Hart and get to know her French lady's maid. Jane befriends the servants with her kindness and mild mannered nature and ...more
An Odd1
Jan 31, 2014 An Odd1 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
"Society is now one polish'd horde,
Form'd of two mighty tribes,
the bores and the bored" - Lord Byron, Don Juan

1808 London, at unlucky 67 Clarges Street, servants help Jane Hart attain Lord Beau Tregarthan, her dream since age ten, when she fell from a tree seeing his chest bared to box Jack Death. Elder sister Euphemia is the Season's blue-eyed blonde, but Jane is curious and determined. How could former resident pretty Clara Vere-Baxton die without a mark on her? With her frizz short and pomad
Leggere A Colori
Nov 24, 2014 Leggere A Colori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Al 67 Clarges Street, dimora storica situata in un quartiere elegante ed esclusivo di Londra all'epoca della Reggenza, in un periodo dell'anno chiamato la Stagione, quando si organizzano balli e feste per fare incontrare la ricca gioventù inglese, giunge Jane con la sua famiglia. Nessuno si aspetta, vista la sua sciattezza, che possa riscuotere un qualsiasi interesse, persino sua madre e sua sorella la lasciano sempre in disparte, invece, la servitù di casa la prende subito in grande simpatia.

Co
Gloria
Sep 10, 2015 Gloria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secondo volume della serie "67 Clarges Street". La famiglia Hart si trasferisce a Londra per la stagione del 1808, nella speranza di trovare un buon partito per la splendida primogenita Euphemia. La secondogenita, Jane, meno appariscente, trascurata dalla madre e dileggiata dalla sorella, spera di rivedere l'uomo che le ha fatto battere il cuore alcuni anni prima. Gli Hart prendono in affitto la casa al 67 di Clarges Street, che ha la fama di portare sfortuna.
Il punto forte del libro rimane la
Alexandria
Sep 18, 2014 Alexandria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is the second book in the series and joins the staff of 67 Clarges Street for another Season, a year after the events of The Miser of Mayfair.

The Lovers
In this instalment there is a murder mystery mised in with the romance, and as I like a good who-dunnit I did enjoy this aspect of the book.

Jane takes an interest in the death of an ex-tennant of 67 and decides to find out for herself just what happened to the young woman.

The hero decides to lend a hand because it amuses him to do so and
Damaskcat
Feb 19, 2013 Damaskcat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Harts have two daughters – Euphemia and Jane. Euphemia is a beauty and Jane is always regarded as plain but it is Jane who has the nicer character and who endears herself to the servants at 67 Clarges Street in Mayfair which the family rents for the season. Fashionable rake, Lord Tregarthan, much prefers Jane to her sister and he finds common ground with the taciturn Mr Hart as they have both been involved in the Napoleonic wars.

Those who have read the first book in this series ‘The Miser o
Maribeth
Jul 23, 2013 Maribeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More than forty years (I'm not kidding!) I read a couple of the 'A House for the Season' books... and I really enjoyed them and always wanted to read the rest of them. The problem was I couldn't remember who wrote them (turns out some were published under the name M. C. Beaton, and some under the name Marion Chesney). These books are not as romantic and funny as the brilliant Jane Austen or the silly Georgette Heyer, but they do have an interesting angle:

The books are all set at this Mayfair Hou
Gaele
Sep 04, 2013 Gaele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stars: Overall: 4 Narration: 5 Story: 3

The house at No 67 Clarges street comes alive for the “season” in London. That particular time of year when the debutantes and their eager mothers parade their beauties in a veritable meat market only dressed up in frippery and constrained by rigid social expectations. This house is available for the season to let, and the story frequently circles about the ‘below stairs’ staff and servants that keep the home and the lives of the seasonal residents running
Mo
I remember reading a slew of Marion Chesney novels when my children were very young. They were just the right kind of light, mindless entertainment that I needed at the time. I had to read things that were very put-downable … books that would not consume me. My free time to read was very limited.

Basically, all of the books in any given Marion Chesney series were the same book. She had a formula, and stuck to it. She changed names, places and circumstances, but the basic plots remained identical.
Jaimey
~Second installment in the House for the Season series~ 3.4 stars

The best thing about this series is the main characters. Even though each book is a romance, there is a different hero/heroine in each who fall in love and move on. The main characters, namely the servants at Number 67 Clarges Street in Regency Mayfair, are delightfully three-dimensional, probably because they are given 6 books in which to develop.

(This is only the second book but I've read the whole series before, hence the reas
Kim Power
Nov 29, 2015 Kim Power rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So very enjoyable

I loved this novel. A heroine who is not a diamond of the first water is not unknown, but she is rare. Throw in a terrific cast of servants who are as important, if not more so, than Jane's harpy of a mother, and it reads as most original. The repartee isn't outstanding, but the murder mystery adds another dimension to a most entertaining romp.
Hermioneginny
Jul 21, 2015 Hermioneginny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane è bruttina, le dice sempre la sorella. Le pare un miracolo che la madre porti anche lei a Londra per la Stagione, al 67 di Clarges Street. Qui ha l'occasione di rivedere un gentiluomo che aveva visto combattere tanti anni prima, e che da allora sogna di incontrare. Si rivelerà una delusione?

Carinissimo, la madre ed Euphemia sono insopportabili, i domestici mi fanno tanta tenerezza.
Silje
I liked the story and I still love the servants, they remind me so of Downton Abbey, but I found the other maincharacters a bit tiresome and dull at times. Jane was simply a bit too naive for my taste, but it does suit the age of the character.
That said, if you're looking for a light read on a summer day, you're in the right place!
Jane Mercer
I've been reading Marion Chesney/M C Beaton since I was a girl and have had trouble getting to finish some of the series.
It's been great to see them rereleased thanks to the popularity of the Hamish Mcbeth and Agatha Raisin
This is the second of six all stories about the tenants of 67 Clarges Street in Mayfair, it's also about the servants who are being squeezed by the agent who manages the property.
There is a certain sameness about the tales but there are enough differences to make each story e
Crystal S
Cute and sweet. Jane and Lord Tregarthan's romance was perfectly lovely. I'm a sucker for stories in which the hero falls nearly instantly for the not-quite-as-beautiful sister. Especially when the "more beautiful" sister is such a snot. The best part of the book was the servants and their antics. I would have read a whole book just about them. They were a hoot!
Spazfungus
May 01, 2014 Spazfungus rated it did not like it
not as good as the first. servants are much more interesting than the hero (bland) and heroine. liked how the husband decided to run away from the wife and the hero decided to just elope.
Yukari Watanabe
The old sisters are the best. Romantic couples are forgettable in every book. ( I can't even remember who they are as soon as I'm done with the book).
Sheryl
Apr 07, 2014 Sheryl rated it liked it
3-1/2 stars: Quick read and overall a light but enjoyable regency romance. Good narration on the audiobook. Nothing extraordinary but an enjoyable way to spend 6 hours.
M-n
Nov 08, 2015 M-n rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever series liking the staff in this series Rainbird ,mad angus the cook, little Lizzie you actually root more for them than the heroines.
Dana Loo
Un regency molto gradevole con la giusta dose di romanticismo, ironia e suspense
Meg
Dec 16, 2015 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are such fun, silly little books.
Carrieuoregon
Fun as always!
Ivanna Willis
May 29, 2015 Ivanna Willis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story!
Mum
Jul 13, 2013 Mum rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I have finally decided that these novels must be at the least a farce, if not a satire that doesn't quite make the grade. The characters are so stereotypical as to approach caricature; their behavior is so regularly defiant of the mores of the time period as to approach travesty. I suppose it could be read as a quick and simple romance. If that is the intent, it is at best 1.5 stars. For my peace of mind, I will go with it being a farce.
Debbi
Nov 06, 2015 Debbi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plain Jane was the younger sister and her older sister is the beautiful one "coming out" this season. Their bossy, grabby, pushy, conniving Mother does all she can for the pretty one while shunning poor Jane. But Jane is the one with the brains and the personality and it proves the old saying, "Beauty is only skin deep". The house continues its unlucky streak.
Sara
Oct 24, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
A great quick read, entertaining, witty, fast-moving. A malicious mother (a Scottish artist-cook who calls her a "great pudding-faced harridan" to her husband's delight), a mesmerizing cat, a heroine who isn't really plain (just unconventionally beautiful) who commits egregious social blunders and gets away with it. Better than most things, except maybe Downton Abbey...
Jeannette
Jun 18, 2013 Jeannette rated it liked it
Lynne Tull
Apr 06, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
This is one of the few books/series I would read again. These stories of Marion Chesney started me on my adventure...reading Regency Romance/Novels/History! There is not a set of books that will teach you more about the basics about life in Regency England. There are six series with six books each. I love them all. It must be a "past life" thing:)
  • The Rake and the Wallflower
  • A Radical Arrangement
  • A Change of Heart (Regency Rakes, #2)
  • Beau Crusoe
  • Quiet Meg (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • Feather Castles (Sanguinet Saga, #2)
  • The Nobody (Nobody, #1)
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • A Chance Encounter (Mainwaring, #1)
  • The Phantom Lover
  • An Angel for the Earl
  • Fair Juno
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • The Unexpected Wife
  • The Book of True Desires
  • The Price of Temptation
  • Rules for a Lady
  • Talk of the Town
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

A House for the Season (6 books)
  • Miser of Mayfair (A House For The Season, #1)
  • The Wicked Godmother (A House for the Season, #3)
  • Rake's Progress (A House for the Season, #4)
  • The Adventuress (A House for the Season, #5)
  • Rainbird's Revenge (A House for the Season, #6)