Start by marking “Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame” as Want to Read:
Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame

Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame (Hellblazer Collection #4)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,301 ratings  ·  17 reviews
From the creators of Preacher Cynical, chain-smoking mystic John Constantine is drawn away from his London home on a disturbing and surreal trip to the United States. Caught on the metaphysical plane by the wizard called Papa Midnite, Constantine must regain his footing and escape Midnite's horrific vision of America.
Published June 1st 1999 by Vertigo (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Hellblazer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellblazer

Shannon Appelcline
Damnation’s Flame (72-75). Ever since I first read this in the ‘90s, I’ve thought it was Ennis’ worst arc on Hellblazer: a real misfire. The biggest problem is that it’s a four-issue long hallucination with no real stakes. Ennis tries to be clever and to use the hallucination to say biting things about the United States, but unfortunately he largely fails. The result is just dull and unfortunately also engages in some of Ennis’ sixth-grade gross-outs and extreme crudeness, which is mostly missin ...more
Felix
This volume takes John Constantine to the States, where he's trapped by Papa Midnite in a surreal American-Dream-turned-sour landscape that symbolically holds a (nightmarish) mirror up to American society and its hypocrisies. The second half of the book shows Constantine reminiscing about the past with the ghost of Brendan and reconciling with his best mate Chas.

While the storytelling was good and I enjoyed reading the book, I still felt it lacked focus in a way. Constantine is more or less drif
Jaimie
Christian
Like with Preacher, Garth Ennis and Steve Dillion show us their satirical vision of America. There are more hits than misses, but there are some great images, mostly revolving around the images of JFK and Uncle Sam. The storyline doesn't really resolve, but it's fun.
The rest of the comic is John Constantine and his mate drinking, bullshitting, quoting the Pogues and Irish writers, and basically being sentimental. It's entertaining.
AJW
Weird story. Uses the crook Constantine to give a crooked British look at the USA crooked history. I like weird, so I enjoyed it. There are better Hellblazer collections though.
Alex
The weakest writing on Ennis' run on Hellblazer by far. It's frustrating that such a good writer is also capable of such obvious coasting, not really having many strong ideas to lead up to the final story arc, which will hopefully see an improvement. Here, Constantine hallucinates a bit whilst wandering around America (incorporating a chat with JFK), chats in a pub with friends, swears a lot and there's some guy getting shot in the groin. Ennis is trying to do satirical in some of thse stories a ...more
Grant Talabay
Hellblazer may be one of the all time greatest comics..... And I mean the entire run of books. This series was horribly made into the film Constantine.... but don't let that be a deterrent. The protagonist John Constantine is the ultimate anti-hero. He's a punk rock loving, foul mouth, whiskey swilling trickster and magician. Mostly centered in London, John uses his wylish Cockney charm (and magic) to get what he wants. Constantine is a lover of the Clash and most notably The Pogues (many quotes ...more
Kurt
A fun, dark and somewhat hallucinatory read. John Constantine, the main character of the Hellblazer series, skirts hell on earth and elsewhere. Conflict with soul supposed to be in the middle of the pack as far as this long lived series goes...this is one I just happened to find at my favorite used bookstore (Reader's Corner in Raleigh, NC) Have found the Graphic Novel movement of interest as it seems a vivid mixture of two things I love....books...movies. It is no accident that the movies seem ...more
Printable Tire
Some juvenile, heavy-handed, though no less entertaining, romps through a hallucinatory america, then back to pubs and britspeak chats with friends full of recollection and remorse. This is good solid writing for the most part, a fine collection of various genres and styles. I'm really enjoying these Hellblazer books, young Ennis does character development the right way, I feel, in little gists of in-jokes and banter. I might not agree with the overwriting cynical philosophies of the story, and ...more
Metagion
We find out what happens when John Constantine goes "witchwalking" and the consequences...Caz, his 'best mate', tells a story...Rated R.
Isaac
Oct 30, 2008 Isaac rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: My friend Jimmy
Shelves: 2008, graphic-novels
Like the other Hellblazer Graphic Novels and comics I've read so far it's a mix bag, it has some entertaining elements, but also some that are very dull and muddled. Like many other "independent" comics I've read the writer seems to lose focus, setting his or her aim to shock the reader rather then tell a story, but its pushing the envelope that some times creates the best work.
Kirsten
I wasn't that into this installment the first time I read it, but having read the story arcs leading up to it, it makes a lot more sense and is more enjoyable. I would still only rate the larger story in this volume, "Damnations Flame," maybe a 3.5/5, but the shorter stories (particularly the one told from Chas's point of view) are completely excellent.
Morgan
The whole thing is disjointed. The American arc, while cool in concept doesn't really pay-off (and really Shade did the whole thing much better). Sadly, that is the most exciting thing that happens in the book. There is some fun character development but mostly it is just pub-crawling and drunken yammering.
One Flew
A mixed bag really, the first story arc is good Ennis shenanigans, from there it is all rather so-so. Lacking in weight or intensity, not much to the subsequent one off stories. Feel free to take a pass on this one, it doesn't really add much to the Hellblazer series.
Matt
Probably the weakest volume, if only because the John-in-America four-parter is a little dry, as compared to everything else in Ennis' run. However, the other two stories, about John in Ireland and John's funeral, are great, vintage Ennis.
Acton J Northrop
My least favourite Ennis HELLBLAZER -- seems like a rehearsal for PREACHER's twisted trek across America. Still, the team of Ennis and Dillon makes it worth reading.
Geoff Sebesta
This is the exact moment when Garth Ennis lost it.
Vangelis
Vangelis marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Jason Stenger
Jason Stenger marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sylwia Sullivan
Sylwia Sullivan marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Nurul
Nurul added it
Dec 13, 2014
Riko Stan
Riko Stan is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2014
  • Hellblazer: Stations of the Cross
  • Hellblazer: Good Intentions
  • Hellblazer: Setting Sun
  • Hellblazer: Rare Cuts
  • Hellblazer: The Laughing Magician
  • Hellblazer: The Red Right Hand
  • Hellblazer: Hooked
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis...
Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas Preacher, Volume 2: Until the End of the World Preacher, Volume 3: Proud Americans Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun