Start by marking “Flight of the Hummingbird: A Parable for the Environment” as Want to Read:
Flight of the Hummingbird: A Parable for the Environment

Flight of the Hummingbird: A Parable for the Environment

The hummingbird parable, with origins in the Quechuan people of South America, has become a talisman for environmentalists and activists who are committed to making meaningful change in the world. In this inspiring story, the determined hummingbird does everything she can to put out a raging fire that threatens her forest home. The hummingbird—symbol of wisdom an ...more
Published April 7th 2008 by Greystone Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Flight of the Hummingbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of the Hummingbird

Justwinter
Aug 10, 2008 Justwinter rated it really liked it
This book is so short, it qualifies almost more as a poem--and is equally beautiful.

Lushly illustrated, each of the 5 short chapters speaks eloquently to social and environmental responsibility. While this may sound dry or preachy, it is neither. The beauty of the book is matched by the precise writing involved in each of the 5 short chapters, the message therein.

The parable of the hummingbird, how such a small and seemingly insignificant creature, could take on a forest fire serves as a jumping
William Burruss
Feb 06, 2013 William Burruss rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children, Friends
The smallest of the birds, the hummingbird, shows the rest of the jungle how to turn a tragic forest fire into an act of salvation. When a huge fire starts to devastate the animal’s habitat all but the hummingbird flee to a safer spot to watch their home be destroyed. With great speed and determination the hummingbird takes one drop of water after another to attempt to douse the flames. As the parable ends the Big Bear asks the hummingbird, “What are you doing?” Where the hummingbird responds, “ ...more
Tyler Jones
Apr 26, 2011 Tyler Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: environment, fables
This is a fable that we all need to take to heart.

As the Dalai Lama writes in his contribution to this book: “In order to succeed in the protection and conservation of the natural environment, it is important to first of all bring about an internal balance within human beings themselves.” This is what the parable of the hummingbird serves to illustrate – the state of mind we must adopt if we are to prevent environmental disaster. While I am not entirely sure that “right thought” must come befor
Melissa
Dec 17, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
simply lovely. beautiful art, thoughtful story, critical message. a very fast read for such an important theme.
Hada Pulgarín
Apr 05, 2016 Hada Pulgarín rated it it was amazing
Llegué a este libro gracias a una de mis personas favoritas, alguien que admiro muchísimo. Fue muy interesante reconocer en él varias de sus frases y enseñanzas, como quien dice, encontré su secreto.

Las reflexiones de este libro son muy interesantes a pesar de que tratan asuntos que todos conocemos y sabemos pero tendemos a olvidar. La historia central si fue nueva para mi, a pesar de que es muy corta me pareció preciosa y tiene un gran poder.

Es muy probable que regrese a él en muchas ocasiones
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This parable about the value of making an effort, however small your contribution, was actually shorter than the introductory and afterword material. I enjoyed reading the essays be Wangari Maathai and the Dalai Lama, more than I enjoyed the parable, which seemed to end rather abruptly. The accompanying artwork was stylized from the Haida Indian culture, and I especially enjoyed how Michael Nicoll Yahgulanaas drew the rabbit. This is a nifty little book about doing your part to take care of the ...more
Crystal
Jan 12, 2014 Crystal rated it really liked it
This fable of the hummingbird helping in spite of overwhelming odds, inspires us to try to make a difference in the world even if it is a small difference. I love this quote: "Self-confidence and enthusiasm are the keys to a successful life and to success any activity one is engaged in. We must be determined and have an optimistic outlook." p. 48
Cal
Jul 27, 2011 Cal rated it really liked it
This is quite a small book so I read it really quickly in the bookstore. It has some good insights on grassroots type action to things, and the illustrations were very interesting. It serves as a good reminder of things we already know but constantly forget. A good one to have sitting around where other people might pick it up.
Narissa
Dec 22, 2013 Narissa rated it really liked it
Love this. In my opinion it's a must read / own / re-read for everyone. It's message is for everyone. It's brevity makes it accessible just as it's suggestion that we can all commit to small acts that make a difference is accessible and for everyone.
Cheryl
Mar 21, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ecology, nature
It's a great little book with a big message just like the hummingbird in the story. Michael Nicoll Yahgulanaas "the hummingbird's faith in the small...is illustrated by her heroic contribution-the act of simply doing what she can, alone."
Hélène
Sep 12, 2016 Hélène rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Très court récit basé sur une légende amérindienne, avec une postface du Dalaï Lama et de belles illustrations, nous invitant à réfléchir sur notre pouvoir de rétablir l'équilibre de la nature et à garder espoir car chaque geste, aussi petit soit-il, compte...!
Sharyn L.
Nov 15, 2009 Sharyn L. rated it really liked it
A very quick read. A good nightstand book in the guest room. The main message of this book is every little action counts. One (paraphrased) line that stands out for me is that we don't need to change the environment; we need to change our actions.
Justin Van Kleeck
Sep 05, 2008 Justin Van Kleeck rated it really liked it
See my full review of this book on Sustainablog:

Colleen Hetherington
Jan 29, 2016 Colleen Hetherington rated it it was amazing
The artistry of of this parable is mirrored in the illustration art, all of which is made more concrete and poignant through the foreword and afterward.
M Grant
May 26, 2012 M Grant rated it really liked it
A neat parable, beautifully illustrated and the contributors include the Dalai Lama lending some pretty deep thoughts to flesh out the book.
Make
Make rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2012
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2012
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2013
Andrea McDowell
Andrea McDowell rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Jenn
Jenn rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2011
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2013
Nicholas Forret
Nicholas Forret rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Jolene Hunter
Jolene Hunter rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Eva Dillon
Eva Dillon rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Mario
Mario rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Lea
Lea rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2008
Ximena
Ximena rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael Nicoll Yahgulanaas is an award-winning visual contemporary artist, author and professional speaker. His work has been seen in public spaces, museums, galleries and private collections across the globe. Institutional collections include the British Museum, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Seattle Art Museum and Vancouver Art Gallery. His large sculptural works are part of the public art collecti ...more
More about Michael Nicoll Yahgulanaas...