Start by marking “Dragon Summer” as Want to Read:
Dragon Summer

Dragon Summer

Published 1963 by Atheneum

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Summer

Melody
May 02, 2011 Melody rated it liked it
A sweet little story about a girl and the summer that shaped her life. There's a gentle ghost, and a gentle love affair, and a gentle aunt. Well, you get the picture. A lot of the plots (and even the names) that Arthur would revisit more successfully in later works are in evidence here. If this had been the only book Arthur ever wrote, I would have loved it fiercely. As it is, it's more of a curiosity, something to read if you're a Ruth M. Arthur completist, but certainly not her best.
Jossalyn
Dec 31, 2012 Jossalyn rated it really liked it
love this author. discovered her when I had the ambition to read all the titles in the children's section of the library and started at A. love the Margery Gill illustrations about as much as the books.
Timothy
A sweet story set in the English countryside about a young girl's trans formative summer. I think it could still be read and appreciated by a younger audience, even though it doesn't have any "edge" or push any boundaries. There is a supernatural element--a ghost--in the plot, and I'm very torn about it. In some ways it felt unnecessary, but in other ways it played a symbolic role. The use of the symbolism left me dissatisfied with the ending.
Nancy
Feb 05, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I loved this book as a teen. I think the reason is that it begins with an adult returning to purchase a home remembered from her past. It continues to reminisce about the summer she spent there as a child. In my youth I fantasized about how things would be when I grew up. It often looked like this woman's life with a cozy cottage in the country. It is a good story with a gentle ghost and a wonderful cozy atmosphere.
Julie
Sep 17, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
A rather slight, gentle, charming story of an idyllic summer 3 children/young adults spend in Cumberland, England. Set approximately in the 1930s/40s. A bit of mystery, a bit of the supernatural, in this story of friendship and coming of age.
Buffy Joseph
Jan 10, 2015 Buffy Joseph rated it it was ok
Very disappointing for a Ruth M Arthur book. It was a very simple book, and short. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing really happens either. I thought it was geared to a much younger audience - maybe 8 or 9?
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 08, 2015 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Dragon Summer was one of my very, very favorite books as a child. Imagine my delight when I found it for sale on Amazon. I promptly bought the book for my own children, and the book has lost none of its magic.
Gaye
Gaye rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2008
Lori Slivensky
Lori Slivensky rated it liked it
May 30, 2013
Gillian
Gillian rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2008
Kimberlyd.
Kimberlyd. rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2010
Miriam
Miriam rated it liked it
May 26, 2012
Laurel
Laurel rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2010
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2008
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2008
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2009
Kimba
Kimba added it
Feb 01, 2011
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2011
Rusty
Rusty marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2011
Denise Anderson
Denise Anderson marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Zee Vandenberg
Zee Vandenberg marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Caela
Caela marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Lyn
Lyn added it
Apr 24, 2015
slauderdale
slauderdale marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Zoeeloise
Zoeeloise marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Delan
Delan marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Beth
Beth added it
Jun 22, 2016
Taina
Taina marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2016
Working name of UK writer Ruth Mabel Arthur Huggins, long active as a children's author, her career beginning with Friendly Stories (collection, 1932). Most of her early work, like the Brownie sequence -- The Crooked Brownie (1936), The Crooked Brownie in Town (1942) and The Crooked Brownie at the Seaside (1942) is for younger children, but with Dragon Summer (1962) and A Candle in her Room (1966) ...more
More about Ruth M. Arthur...