Start by marking “Demons” as Want to Read:
Demons

Demons (Star Trek: The Original Series #30)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  640 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Long before the Federation, powerful force invaded our galaxy and almost destroyed it... a force that began with possession and madness, and ended in murder!

A Starfleet research expedition to the farthest reaches of the galaxy has unearthed that force once again... and brought its silent evil back to the planet Vulcan. Now Spock must defeat the demons that threaten his fri...more
Mass Market Paperback, 251 pages
Published July 1st 1986 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Demons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demons

Christopher Cook
I have not been a trekkie for very long; I began TOS in January, moved on to TAS, watched the TOS films, and am now currently on the fourth season of TNG. DEMONS, the thirtieth release as part of the original STAR TREK novels, is the first TREK novel that I have ever read, and I am impressed. I will begin by commenting on Ms. Dillard's writing style, clearly exemplified as soon as one begins reading the novel. "The afternoon rains had just ended, and the leaves, coated with tiny droplets, made t...more
Brian Lewis
I didn't find the overall plot to be very original. Although, it might have been the first to have such a plot, I have read quite a few since then with the same exact plot that did a far better job of it. Furthermore, I found it preposterous that the people targeted at the end of the novel would be utterly helpless, while they wait for Kirk, Spock and McCoy to save them. I don't want to go into spoilers, so I will stop there. Perhaps if it were another culture I would have bought the plausibilit...more
Dovile
Despite the uniforms of post-'Star Trek:The Motion Picture' on the cover, the book is clearly set some time between TOS epsode 'A Journey to Babel' and 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' - the crew is wearing tunics, not jumpsuits or jackets, Kirk and McCoy have already met Spock's parents, and at one point Spock is remembering the death of his pet I-Chaya as having happened thirty something years ago.

If you're a fan of Sarek/Amanda, and especially if you read S/A fanfics and/or are interested in t...more
Natasha
This book has received some crap ratings too, but in fact, is one of my favorite Star Trek books thus far. The story has Kirk in it, but is mainly focused on McCoy and Spock, and, of course, a Mary Jane. But, she was a LIKABLE Mary Jane. And was not overly damsel in distress or overly taking over the story.

The enemy they faced was fascinating, but the book in and of itself was more what I call "fluff" than anything. McCoy injures himself more than a few inconvenient times, making him look like...more
Joe
Taking out the old Star Trek books I so enjoyed as a teenager is the best. Each book is its own little episode to me and most are decent as far as being consistent to the original show.

This story involves a Vulcan science team that brings a deadly virus back from their work in the Hydrilla sector. These "demons" take over their victim and create a violence that could threaten the entire galaxy as it spreads throughout Vulcan and the Enterprise.

Most of the story centers around McCoy and Spock an...more
Keith
Imagine the Exorcist set on the Enterprise and Vulcan and you have the basic idea for this book. The threat is scary and the tension is high in this engaging Star Trek novel. Probably my biggest complaint is that much of the difficulties in the story are perpetuated by Dr. McCoy begin stubborn and a bit love-sick. His actions threatened his companions several times, which got annoying. I don't think of McCoy as being this much trouble on most Star Trek adventures, so I don't consider this versio...more
Wendy
This one only gets two stars because of McCoy's prominence in the whole thing. I hated that Anita or Anitra or whatever the heck her name was--total Mary Sue. All the main characters want her and she saves the day every time? Pretty much the definition of a Mary Sue.

And, since Mary Sue is of course the center of attention most of the time, I hated most of the book, too. Only McCoy's grumbling made it bearable, and sometimes not even then.

Also, the idea behind the plot was actually fairly interes...more
Robert Premeaux
Better than Black Fire and The Covenant of the Crown, both of which I liked. And it's almost as good as Prime Directive, the best Star Trek fiction I've read so far.

Visiting Vulcan is always cool, and Dillard manages the Star Trek universe very well, holding together a story without using any of the normal Enterprise crew as its center but instead introducing new characters while spreading the plot around, giving McCoy, Spock, Kirk and Uhura strong supporting roles.

But I wonder what's in those w...more
Daniel Kukwa
Holy moley! This book simply launches into its exciting, tense, action-packed story...without any preamble, or apology for newcomers who might not be familiar with "Star Trek" in general, and Vulcan culture in particular. Dark as a pair of black socks from the Sears store in hell, this novel grabbed me by the throat and didn't let go until the end. The only thing wrong with it is the PREPOSTEROUS cover. What were the editors thinking?
Heather Domin
3.5 stars. Like I said in my status update, nobody does creepy!Trek like JM Dillard, and this is creepy as hell. That's the main draw here for me. I liked Bloodthirst better (as anyone who knows me would expect), but I was glad to reunite with the OCs from that book. All in all, enjoyable creepytimes. Looking forward to tracking down Mindshadow.
Dan Contrino
A real disappointment from JM Dillard. It had potential, especially Sarek's storyline but the "demons" weren't explained to my satisfaction and the female protagonist was extraneous and didn't mesh, especially with Bones, whom she seemed to be a love object or. Some better editing would have made this a great book.
Chantel
I know I read this a long time ago & liked it. Just read it again & I still like it! I loved that Sr. McCoy got to have a little romance for a change. I also thought it was a very interesting spin on villains...never really thought of something like that before.
Overall a very enjoyable read! :)
Travis
Another of those Trek books that I remember reading, but left no lasting impression on me. I seem to recall a cool monster, but the rest is a blank.

Randy Wiggins
This was a great book in the series. An actual horror novel set on the Enterprise!
David Agranoff
Above average almost Lovecraftian Trek horror novel.
Benjamin Plume
Some of these ST standalones are not that great.
Miriam
Star Trek + demonic possession!
Ashley Fisher
Ashley Fisher marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • The Final Nexus
  • Deep Domain
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Ice Trap
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • The Abode of Life
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Memory Prime
  • Killing Time
  • Three Minute Universe
The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1) First Contact (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Star Trek Generations (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6) Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)