Start by marking “Rocks: Hard, Soft, Smooth, and Rough” as Want to Read:
Rocks: Hard, Soft, Smooth, and Rough

Rocks: Hard, Soft, Smooth, and Rough

The rocks you see everyday can be grouped into different types, like igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic. Some rocks are actually minerals, and you can even find fossils in some types of rocks.
Published September 1st 2002 by Picture Window Books (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Rocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rocks

Jill
This book has terrific illustrations and a simple text that discusses the formation and features of rocks. With a nice Rocks Chart in the back, students can see how to classify rocks by kind, color, what it feels like, and its uses. Offered in a Spanish edition as well.Grades K-2.

Curriculum Connection: Science Standard 3.1: Earth’s materials can be compared and classified based on their properties. Before reading the rock book to students, I would begin by modeling some essential questions I wou
Rachael
Grade K-1st, Classification of Rocks, Characteristics of Rocks (objects), Sorting, Introduction to the rock cycle

Another science book that has plenty of room for integrating math and literature. There are many vocabulary words that could be used as part of a word find/matching game (with pictures) and with the addition of real rocks from the students or from an exploratory walk, or the teacher's collection, the rocks can be sorted and described. Characteristics of the rocks can be used to sort a
Janice Redding
Apr 21, 2012 Janice Redding rated it it was amazing
This is a good book to use during a lesson on rocks. It can simply be read during the elaborate portion of the lesson to further explain types of rocks in detail, and how they originate or form. The types of rocks that this book discusses was igneaous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks. In the classroom, I can use this book by providing my students with certain rocks that are outlined in books, such as obsidiean and granite. In addition, I can use this book t create a concept map with my studen ...more
Hatka Kecalovic
This book is Rocks:Hard, Soft, Smooth, and Rough by Rosinsky. This book focuses on the characteristics of different types of rocks. This book can be used for lesson on different rock types, such as sedimentary, metamorphic, and igneous rocks. This book can be read in the explain or elaborate part of the lesson. This book can be used to expand on rock characteristics. Students can use the book to help them identify rocks and learn ways to identify rocks. This lesson would be used with students in ...more
Evelyn
Mar 06, 2012 Evelyn rated it really liked it
The book, Rocks:Hard, Soft, Smooth, and Rough talks about the characteristics of the different types of rocks there are. This book could be used in a science lesson where students are learning about differentiating between sedimentary, metamorphic, and igneous rocks. It could be used in the elaborate part of the lesson where students could choose a rock and describe what type of rock it is after learning about the different types of rocks. This lesson would be used with students in first through ...more
Alexis Levine
Mar 06, 2012 Alexis Levine rated it it was amazing
The pictures in this book are super cute and kid friendly. This book would be excellent for elaborating on rocks. I would use Rocks: Hard, Soft, Smooth, and Rough for kids from kindergarten to third grades. This book describes different types of rocks and teaches students proper terms for describing and naming rocks! A lesson could be done by having students select rocks then reading the book and have them discover what type of rock they think they have from the characteristics described in the ...more
Angela
Apr 18, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
Author: Natalie M. Rosinsky
Grade level: 1-2
Content: Physical properties of rocks and 3 categories rocks fall into" Sedimentary, metamorphic and igneous rocks.

Book talks about the 3 ways rocks are formed as well as provide examples of each. It also refers to the characteristics of rocks, such as smooth, rough, hard and soft.

Literature:
I could incorporate a lesson for LA referring to adjectives used in order to describe rocks.

Ashley Williams
I would read this book during the elaborate part of my unit on rocks. While reading this book I would have rocks on the desk that fit the description of the rocks given in the book. I would have the students raise their rocks up when they find the rock on the table that fits he description. I would want my students to begin to see that certain descriptions for certain rocks and thy can identify rocks by their description and characteristics. I would use this lesson in grades 2-3.
Sue Pak
Apr 19, 2012 Sue Pak rated it really liked it
Great book to teach young children about geology. This book goes into talking about formation of rocks.

I would use this book when we are focusing on rocks and describing how rocks look like.
Recommended for grades 2-5.

I think this book was pretty interesting. This book contains information that even adults don't know!
Oana Cerchezan
Oct 15, 2012 Oana Cerchezan rated it it was ok
Shelves: science, content, rocks
This book would be a good book to read to a 4th grade classroom when introducing the kinds of rocks and how they are formed. A fun thing to do would be to instruct each student to bring in a rock the next day and talk about their rock and certain characteristics that classify it into the type of rock it is and allow them to draw a picture of it.
Kelly Whelchel
Science Literature Grade 4-5 Topic: Rock

Use this book when teach a rock unit. Then provide the students different types of rocks for them to classify using; color, luster, size and texture. Read the book to the students after the students have classifid their rocks. Then have students find their own rock where they live and have them classify again.
Wendy
Apr 22, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
This is a great book to use when studying rocks. It has a lot of great information about rocks and would be great when used in conjunction with actual rocks. That way, students would be able to get hands on experience with what they are reading in the book. This would be great for 2nd-4th grades.
Abi
Mar 06, 2012 Abi rated it it was amazing
I would use this book during the elaborate part of my unit on rocks. I would give each student rocks that fit the description of the rocks in the book. I would have the students raise their rock up when I read about a rock that fits their description. I would use this lesson for second or third grade.
Angela
Apr 24, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
Igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks are all covered in this book. It has great illustrations and is the perfect book to open up a lesson in rocks. It covers the rock cycle. Rock traits are also covered.
Jennifer Borduin
Mar 06, 2012 Jennifer Borduin rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, science
This is a content book on rocks. In a science lesson, I would read this book after students had the opportunity to identify, touch, and examine different rocks. This book would explain a lot of the observations the students had made about rocks earlier in the lesson.
Jessica Chambliss
Mar 06, 2012 Jessica Chambliss rated it really liked it
This book discusses facts on rocks. Although they are drawings and not pictures it still has great facts to help children understand rocks. It discusses sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks. Great for elaborating on rocks in grades K-3.
Kellee Hao
Rocks are in different shapes, form, and sizes! They all have different features and textures, and that is all the book talks about! This book is right for you if you need a book to refer a child to when they're learning about rock cycles.
Inna Nako
Mar 12, 2012 Inna Nako rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-content
Grade k-3, Physical attributes and types of rocks

-describes the many different types of rocks
-includes the vocabulary metamorphic, igneous, and sedimentary rocks
-describes a few characteristics of the three types of rocks and also gives examples
Zara Younus
Grade K-1. Classification of rocks. Describing rocks by their physical attributes. This book can be used as a great informative and interactive activity. As the teacher reads the book, students can sort the rocks into groups using the information provided. Great listening and hands-on activity.
Ali Hembree
Mar 18, 2012 Ali Hembree rated it really liked it
This is a book about how rocks are formed and the different kinds of rocks there are.

I would use this book to help explain the process of how some rocks form as well as showing the students the different kind of rocks there are.
Karina Espinales
Nov 06, 2012 Karina Espinales rated it liked it
Shelves: science-content
This is a great science book that can show the students about the different kinds of rocks that the world is made of. It has great illustrations and easy to read. It would probably be good for third graders.
Vanessa Peavy
Mar 06, 2012 Vanessa Peavy rated it it was ok
Give each student a rock to hold and ask them to quickly write down things to describe their rocks. once they are done, read the book to the students as part of the elaborate part of the lesson. This book would be good for grades 2-3.
Lori Smith
Oct 16, 2012 Lori Smith rated it it was ok

This book can be used to teach students about rocks and refer students to when they have questions about rocks. It does a great job of describing rocks and explaining how different rocks are/were formed.
Drusilla
Mar 29, 2016 Drusilla rated it it was amazing
Great intro book on rocks. Simply portrays knowledge for lower grades on different types of rocks. Good background knowledge. Easy to read and very understandable. Bright illustrations. Part of a series.
Autumn Yoon
A book about geology and the different types of rocks. This book shares facts about the different characteristics the different rocks may possess. This. book would go along great with a lesson covering geology and earth science. This book would be appropriate elementary grades 3-5.
John Moore
Rocks: Hard, Soft, Smooth, and Rough, Natalie M. Roinsky
Grades: K - 3
Topic: Rock types, rock cycle
Description: This book lists the different types of rock (Igneous, Sedimentary, Metamorphic, etc) and has an excellent chart towards the back showing the different characteristics of each one.
Wendy Jones
This book is a really good book to use when learning about rocks. There is a lot of really good information in it, but it is still very kid-friendly. I think the kids would really enjoy reading this book! It could be used in a second or third grade classroom.
Joey Fong
Nov 20, 2011 Joey Fong rated it liked it
Another science book about Geology. It discuss the different types of rocks such as igneous rocks, sedimentary rocks, and metamorphic rocks. Vivid images that provide a clear understanding if what each types of rocks look like.
Nancy Vu
Mar 06, 2012 Nancy Vu rated it liked it
This books reviews the three types of rocks (igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary). It has great illustrations that connects to the content. This book is good for 3rd to 5th grades.
Bethany
Mar 05, 2013 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Grade: K - 5
Topic: rocks

Good chart and description of types of rock. Also has the hardness scale. Can have rocks before students while book is being read. They can identify and handle them.
« previous 1 3 next »
My touchstones have always been books. Like clear-eyed family members, different books have anticipated my needs and questions, mirrored my problems, and provided help or inspiration.

I grew up on an inner-city block made famous in Betty Smith's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. As a high school English teacher, I recognized many funny or painful experiences captured in the pages of Bel Kaufman's Up the Do
More about Natalie M. Rosinsky...