Start by marking “Me, Myself, and Them: A Firsthand Account of One Young Person's Experience with Schizophrenia” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
During his second semester at college, Kurt Snyder became convinced that he was about to discover a fabulously important mathematical principle, spending hours lost in daydreams about numbers and symbols. In time, his thoughts took a darker turn, and he became preoccupied with the idea that cars were following him, or that strangers wanted to harm him. Kurt's mind had been ...more
Published October 29th 2007 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Me, Myself, and Them, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me, Myself, and Them

Zoe
Apr 16, 2014 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book for my psychology course and I found it very deep and emotional also helpful to understand what people who have this have to go through unfortunately
Kendra
Dec 16, 2014 Kendra rated it liked it
More of a self-help for those recently diagnosed with schizophrenia than a memoir. The book does have some helpful resources for mental health providers or those affected by schizophrenia.
Oct 20, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book that tells the tale of one young man’s journey with schizophrenia. It describes the ups and downs of the disease that often resembles that of a roller coaster ride. The book is written for young adults and is easy to understand. The author is brutally honest is his descriptions, but makes sure the reader understands that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Throughout the book there are references, definitions of places, and concepts he refers to. In this way no m ...more
Elocin
If you are looking for a book on cases of schizophrenia that go down into deep extremes, involving permanent hospitalization, don't read this book. If you are looking to find out about real and more common cases of schizophrenia or how to help yourself or someone you know with the disease, then this book is perfect for you. Information on common symptoms, medication, help services and ways of treatment, all offer great help to anyone suffering from this illness and everyone who wishes to know ab ...more
Anna Garrett
Jan 14, 2014 Anna Garrett rated it it was amazing
This book is a combination of first person narrative about their road from diagnosis of bipolar disorder as a teen through recovery, and educational information about the disorder including current treatment options. It is well written for anyone interested in or affected by this mood disorder.
Rebekah
Jun 02, 2009 Rebekah rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Exceptional mental health information. Each chapter is split into the author's personal experience, followed by additional medical information such as explanations, treatments and alternate sources of help.

No, I don't have schizophrenia, but after reading symptomatic behaviors like abandoning relationships with friends and family, becoming a homebody, and not participating in things you used to do, as a writer I thought, "That's not so bad. I might actually like that." Maybe I'm worse off than I
Em Cruchelow
Dec 10, 2013 Em Cruchelow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very interesting. It was cool to read from an adolescent perspective of schizophrenia. The things that Kyle had to endure seem horrifying. I am glad he decided to write this book in a way to help raise awareness about schizophrenia. This book could also be of great use to teens and young adults who may have recently been diagnosed with schizophrenia. It’s a beacon of hope for them and helps them realize that things will get better; you just have to work through the touph parts.
Nicola
Dec 27, 2013 Nicola rated it liked it
This book makes for an interesting and informative introduction to schizophrenia. There's a sterile, obviously-ghostwritten gloss to it, however. So although it purports to be a 'firsthand account', there's not much personality to it. The result is a bit like a rehearsed speech on 'how schizophrenia affected me', as opposed to a candid chat over a beer. A good book, but not quite what I signed up for.
Jul 08, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mental-health
Absolutely great book. I learned a great deal about schizophrenia. The way the book was set up was really really effective, combining the testimony of young man with schizophrenia with notes from a mental health professional who explains everything. I have a friend is schizophrenic and I feel like I understand her much better now. I would strongly recommend this to anyone with schizophrenia or who has a friend or loved one with schizophrenia.
Barrymore Tebbs
Nov 15, 2012 Barrymore Tebbs rated it really liked it
I picked this up at my local library while doing research into schizophrenia. Kurt Snyder's first person account is heartbreaking; the commentary about this often mysterious and misunderstood mental illness included at the end of each chapter helps put Kurt's experience into perspective. For anyone wanting a quick introduction to schizophrenia, this short volume provides both personal insight and clinical commentary in an easy to read format.
Lyn
Jun 01, 2011 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son has Schizophrenia and I was looking for a book that was written from the perspective of someone who has this illness. The author wrote this book when he was 29 in 2007. My son is just turning 37 and has been dealing with schizophrenia for 10 years now. I admire his strength and courage and love him to bits - this is a good book to help all those involved, the patient and their family members; most informative.
Meaghan
This was an excellent how-to guide for dealing with schizophrenia, whether you have the illness or yourself or just know someone who does. It describes the various facets of the disease using multiple first-hand accounts, and gives the options for treatment. I would recommend this to anyone who has just been diagnosed with schizophrenia, has a loved one who was diagnosed, or (like me) is just curious about the illness.
Emilee (Fantastical Paper Realm)
I read this for my English Research Paper. I expected a fairly boring but informative book, but this book is fascinating! It really drew me and made writing my paper something to really enjoy! I loved how there are other peoples accounts of their experiences sprinkled through out book. It is a great balance of all the facts and statistics you want to know, and this mans fascinating story!
Kym
Mar 25, 2011 Kym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-story
True story about a man suffering from schizophrenia. The first half of each chapter was him looking back on his life and sharing his experiences then the second half of each chapter was a Dr. that explained everything that had happened to him. Truly fascinating.
However, no one should have to live that like that, it was heartbreaking.
Ali
Sep 15, 2010 Ali rated it really liked it
[close] A very good account of the life of someone living with schizophrenia, and of the illness itself. Very descriptive from both a personal and medical point of view, with each chapter divided between the two. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in learning more about this illness. [close]
Sarah Leatherwood
Sep 20, 2014 Sarah Leatherwood marked it as i-tried-i-really-did  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a memoir, but instead I got part memoir, part explanation of schizophrenia. This was geared towards kids and young adults who have never heard of this disease, not someone who's read all about it and wants to know about the author's experience.
Nancy
Oct 18, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
Excellent depiction of progression of symptoms relating to schizophrenia. This is a useful tool for anyone interested in a personal and scientific account of those living with a mental illness. Overall, useful and informative read.
Sally
Aug 31, 2013 Sally rated it liked it
Coherent memoir of schizophrenia interleaved with guidance aimed at younger people with schizophrenia. Fluent and insightful, but aimed at the adolescent and young adult.
Mark Stevens, ThD
Apr 05, 2011 Mark Stevens, ThD rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Mental Health Professional this book was a very good tool in helping me understand Schizphrenia.
Chelsea Fredrickson
Nov 05, 2013 Chelsea Fredrickson rated it it was amazing
Really good book! I was hooked from the beginning :)
Ava M.
Jul 22, 2013 Ava M. rated it really liked it
Very informative!
Emily Reidel
Emily Reidel is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2016
lisaraptor
lisaraptor marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Graeme
Graeme marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Hazel
Hazel rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2016
Judy Dempsey
Judy Dempsey rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2016
Bobbi
Bobbi is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2016
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
  • Next to Nothing: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with an Eating Disorder
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Acquainted with the Night: A Parent's Quest to Understand Depression and Bipolar Disorder in His Children
  • A Mood Apart: The Thinker's Guide to Emotion and Its Disorders
  • The Day the Voices Stopped
  • Recovered, Not Cured: A Journey Through Schizophrenia
  • Henry's Demons: Living with Schizophrenia, A Father and Son's Story
  • Under Observation: Life Inside the McLean Psychiatric Hospital
  • Will's Choice: A Suicidal Teen, a Desperate Mother, and a Chronicle of Recovery
  • Is There No Place on Earth for Me?
  • Doctoring the Mind: Is Our Current Treatment of Mental Illness Really Any Good?
  • Bedlam: A Year in the Life of a Mental Hospital