Me, Myself, and Them: A Firsthand Account of One Young Person's Experience with Schizophrenia

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  12 reviews
During his second semester at college, Kurt Snyder became convinced that he was about to discover a fabulously important mathematical principle, spending hours lost in daydreams about numbers and symbols. In time, his thoughts took a darker turn, and he became preoccupied with the idea that cars were following him, or that strangers wanted to harm him. Kurt's mind had been...more
Published October 29th 2007 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2007)

Anna Garrett
This book is a combination of first person narrative about their road from diagnosis of bipolar disorder as a teen through recovery, and educational information about the disorder including current treatment options. It is well written for anyone interested in or affected by this mood disorder.
Rebekah
Exceptional mental health information. Each chapter is split into the author's personal experience, followed by additional medical information such as explanations, treatments and alternate sources of help.

No, I don't have schizophrenia, but after reading symptomatic behaviors like abandoning relationships with friends and family, becoming a homebody, and not participating in things you used to do, as a writer I thought, "That's not so bad. I might actually like that." Maybe I'm worse off than I...more
Nicola
This book makes for an interesting and informative introduction to schizophrenia. There's a sterile, obviously-ghostwritten gloss to it, however. So although it purports to be a 'firsthand account', there's not much personality to it. The result is a bit like a rehearsed speech on 'how schizophrenia affected me', as opposed to a candid chat over a beer. A good book, but not quite what I signed up for.
Barrymore Tebbs
I picked this up at my local library while doing research into schizophrenia. Kurt Snyder's first person account is heartbreaking; the commentary about this often mysterious and misunderstood mental illness included at the end of each chapter helps put Kurt's experience into perspective. For anyone wanting a quick introduction to schizophrenia, this short volume provides both personal insight and clinical commentary in an easy to read format.
Meaghan
This was an excellent how-to guide for dealing with schizophrenia, whether you have the illness or yourself or just know someone who does. It describes the various facets of the disease using multiple first-hand accounts, and gives the options for treatment. I would recommend this to anyone who has just been diagnosed with schizophrenia, has a loved one who was diagnosed, or (like me) is just curious about the illness.
Emilee (Fantastical Paper Realm)
I read this for my English Research Paper. I expected a fairly boring but informative book, but this book is fascinating! It really drew me and made writing my paper something to really enjoy! I loved how there are other peoples accounts of their experiences sprinkled through out book. It is a great balance of all the facts and statistics you want to know, and this mans fascinating story!
Ali
[close] A very good account of the life of someone living with schizophrenia, and of the illness itself. Very descriptive from both a personal and medical point of view, with each chapter divided between the two. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in learning more about this illness. [close]
Nancy
Excellent depiction of progression of symptoms relating to schizophrenia. This is a useful tool for anyone interested in a personal and scientific account of those living with a mental illness. Overall, useful and informative read.
Jeanne
Was not entirely impressed since I have read fictional accounts that were much more effective at gripping me emotionally and intellectually. I didn't love it but I also didn't hate it.
Sally
Coherent memoir of schizophrenia interleaved with guidance aimed at younger people with schizophrenia. Fluent and insightful, but aimed at the adolescent and young adult.
Mark Stevens
As a Mental Health Professional this book was a very good tool in helping me understand Schizphrenia.
Chelsea Fredrickson
Really good book! I was hooked from the beginning :)
Ava M.
Very informative!
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Rayne
Rayne added it
Jun 09, 2014
Anna Colby
Anna Colby marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Yasmin Shiraz
Yasmin Shiraz marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Abbey Mikha
Abbey Mikha marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Angel Whorenandes
Angel Whorenandes marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Naceepandol
Naceepandol is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Me, Myself, and Them Official American Bar Association Guide to Approved Law Schools