Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  2,505 ratings  ·  55 reviews
The story follows brothers Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, and their adventures in the Australian bush. As well as many friends, along the way they encounter the wicked Banksia Men.
Published October 3rd 1990 by Angus & Robertson Childrens (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

Jacqueline Brocker
I’m not sure how well-known outside of Australia these stories – and art work, especially – are. Even if you didn’t read, or had read to you, the stories of the gumnut babies Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, their friends Ragged Blossom, and Mr Lizard, and those dastardly Banksia men, if you’re Aussie, you know the image of a gumnut baby well. These you can see on the cover here, whose dress and life is based on the gumnuts produced by the eucalyptus tree.

Taking an educated guess, I’d say the illustrat...more
Izzy
i can remember reading it as a child and loving it. i have personal feelings towards it and is for me cherished.
Linda
My memories of this book are less about the story - which is all over the place and darned hard to follow sometimes - and ALL about the pictures. Gorgeous, detailed, parallel universe, Aussie bush, hand-drawn illustrations. May Gibbs was truly an artist.

Bum scrum. My favourite. You'll have to find a copy and go towards the end of the book (Little Obelia) to find it. Having seen a rugby scrum will explain better, but still ridiculously cute.

And yes, like many Aussie kids 'afore me, the Big Bad Ba...more
Margaret E
Absolutely loved it as a child. Adored the drawings, they were so detailed and just wonderful. I still have a thing for "gum leaves", because of this wonderful book. A great childhood adventure.
Belinda G
Jan 23, 2010 Belinda G rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyoneeee!!
Recommended to Belinda by: My granny
This book is the reason why I have so much love and respect for lizards and am still scared of Banksias. I have an irrational fear that they will come alive and render me deadibones!
Heather
It's a shame more people don't know this book. If they did, they would understand my terror of all things that look like Banksia Men!
Robyn
I really enjoyed this book when I was a little girl, but was terrified by the Banksia men. LOL
Asher
this is like my childhood in one book. It used to be a tradition that my mum would read me a book every night or a chapter of a book if it was a series or a novel. But when we started reading these it was like a whole new world opened up to me. The characters were mostly absolutely adorable with their little hats and the writing managed to reach out to younger readers/ listeners emotionally too. The pictures were incredibly lovely. All in all, I loved this series and the memories it holds for me...more
Amy
I am certainly glad I fulfil the 7+ category this book seems to have been given. Personally I think when it comes to books like Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, Peter Pan, Blinky Bill, any of these classic children's literature there should be no age. Everyone must enjoy them as soon as they are able. There is nothing in this book a six year old wouldn't understand, they'd love it.

Snugglepot and Cuddlepie is practically an Australian institution. I do not know how legitimate these claims are but I thin...more
Nina
Ah, the 90's. This book is part of my cherished memories from my childhood in Australia. A truly exceptional world of bush residents Gibbs has created for his young readers.
Craig Hodges

Still can't get the image of those dastardly banksia men out of my mind.
Jen
Jan 12, 2008 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
I read this book initially way back in the 80s when I was a little girl, my aunt brought it back from her trip to Australia in a beautiful green binding which my constant reading creased and battered! When I went to Australia I found a new nice paperback version of it that I picked up for my kids (before i had any). The writing is easy to follow and full of Australian wildlife. Long time favorite of mine. I'll add more detail to this when I can get the book out of storage :)
Bianca Smith
My all-time favorite book when I was 10. It's adorable.
Patricia
Bianca
I just re-read the complete series to my two beautiful little cousins and they loved them! It brings back such wonderful memories of when I was a kid and loved to read them and have them read to me. This should be a staple for every kids shelf, no matter how old the kid is!
Mike Baker
This is one of my most memorable books from early childhood. I can't recall the stories themselves that well but I vividly remember enjoying its illustrations. The pictures of the evil Banksia men were terrifying and have left a permanent scar in my mind.
Ant
Really great fun. Lots of good hearted little characters on hair raising & exotic adventures. Rather a good story line traveling along a wide expanse of imagination. Could definitely read this one again & not necessarily as bed time read.
Sally
So much love, nothing more needs to be said. My copy of this is in absolute tatters - complete with most of the pictures coloured in. I'd kind of like to buy a second copy... if only so I can colour them all in again!
Powley
"Well, sting and wing me!" I forgot how much I enjoyed these stories and illustrations. Obviously by todays literary standards the writing is lacking but nevertheless an immensely enjoyable adventure.
Tess Sullivan
An imaginative and fantastical look in to the wonders of the Australian culture through the eyes of two brothers whilst they journey in their special miniature world in the outback of rural Australia.
Zinzi Graham
This was one of my favourite books as a child :) I even named one of my first pets Snugglepot and so this book will always have special meaning to me!
Valerie
Again, my cousin from Australia, was telling me all about this series of books that are loved by many in Australia. We don't own this in Weber County!
Erika
Dec 19, 2007 Erika rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
This is one of my all-time favorite books! When I was little my best friend moved to Australia and she sent me this book. I still read it sometimes...
Blue Eyed Vixen
Every child should grow up on May Gibbs. I still have my childhood set which came with Dot the Kangaroo and Blinky Bill. Just absolutely sweet.
Sandra Mackintosh
Snugglepot and cuddlepie is a story about 2 little gumnuts that have grand adventures in the bush, along with there friends and foe.

years 5 - 6
Heidi Eisenhauer
As a child my mom read these to me. When I grew up I ordered the book from Australia for my nieces. They loved it as much as I did. A classic!
Gemma Nugent
Loved reading this to my baby, reminded me of what I loved about reading as a kid. Can't wait till Lucy is old enough to love it too.
Elise
My parents used to read this to my sister and I when we children. They would CONSTANTLY have to read it because we loved it so much.
Leslie
I like the drawings, but the stories are twee and lack a plot. To be fair, however, my 9-year old loves the stories so I bought the book.
Bethany
My parents brought this book back from Australia for me when I was little. I loved it then, and I love it now. A very fun read.
Banksia Men 4 6 Jul 12, 2014 03:08PM
  • Blinky Bill
  • The Magic Pudding
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • Possum Magic
  • Wombat Stew
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • My Place
  • Storm Boy
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • The Wishing-Chair Again
  • Hating Alison Ashley
  • Mr. Archimedes' Bath
  • Diary of a Wombat
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Unreal! (Uncollected)
  • Fungus the Bogeyman
Gum Nut Babies Snugglepot and Cuddlepie Meet Mr Lizard Bib and Bub Scotty in Gumnut Land The Story of Little Ragged Blossom