Start by marking “もやしもん 1” as Want to Read:
もやしもん 1

もやしもん 1 (Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
BACTERIA TO SCHOOL

Tadayasu is a new, fresh-faced university student hiding a bizarre secret: He can see germs with the naked eye. Between the machinations of an eccentric professor determined to unlock the power of the microbial world and the doomed agricultural experiments of his fellow students, will Tadayasu ever find the cool college atmosphere he so desires?
223 pages
Published May 23rd 2005 by Kōdansha

To ask other readers questions about もやしもん 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about もやしもん 1

Diana Dang
Dec 28, 2009 Diana Dang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bacterias are microscopic organisms. They surround us constantly, from being in the food we eat to the insides of our bodies. No one can see them with a naked eye. No one, except Tadayasu Sawaki.

A new student at an agriculture university, Sawaki is able to see germs that surround him. With his special ability, he gets tangled up in funny situations and meets a couple of odd people here and there. An absolute hit series in Japan, Moyasimon is brought to North America to reveal an adorable and edu
Vicki
Sep 15, 2015 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vicki by: The Anime World Order podcast
Shelves: manga-and-comics
Notes are just on volume 1.

I love Moyashimon! Its a series about a groups of students (and their professors) at an agricultural university, where one of the students happens to be able to see microbes with the naked eye...and he sees them as cute little blobs with faces, in varying different shapes.

Here are some of the things I like most about it:

- It sits firmly in the slice-of-life genre, giving a somewhat meandering glimpse into the life and times of the characters without any particularly st
Stephanie Griffin
Aug 10, 2010 Stephanie Griffin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MOYASIMON: TALES OF AGRIGULTURE, is a manga with intelligence and humor. Written by Masayuki Ishikawa, it centers on Tadayasu, a young man from a rural family, along with his best friend Kei. Tadayasu has the power to see and communicate with bacteria of all kinds. This comes in handy when the two friends go off to an agricultural college in Tokyo. After all, bacteria are everywhere.
As soon as they enter the college, Tadayasu and Kei encounter bootleggers, smelly buried seals, initiation rites,
Geoff Sebesta
Apr 28, 2011 Geoff Sebesta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best educational manga I've read for a long time. It's a story about a little boy who can see germs with the naked eye, and in all other ways it is a perfectly normal high school manga. There's nothing special about the story in any way at all, it's just a method for transferring microbiology information from the author's head to yours, and it works remarkably well at that.
Venus Maneater
Nov 11, 2015 Venus Maneater rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Like most manga that are heavily centered around an existing theme, Moyashimon is filled to the brim with random trivia.

from Sake to Kiviak, no matter how obscure, Masayuki Ishikawa makes sure you know exactly what part of their creation is made possible by microorganisms.

Don't expect too much of an adventure, their won't be. Don't expect too much humor, either, no slap sticks in this manga!
It's mostly a lot of fun to observe life through Tadayasu's eyes.
heidi
Apr 22, 2014 heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading manga, and it took a little to figure out how to read it: left to right, top to bottom, and the fine print is a translation of the writing in the scene, for instance on signs. This is a very fun story of a college freshman who has a superpower - the ability to see microorganisms with his naked eye. A story of fermentation and the role that bacteria and yeast play in the health (and infection) of our lives unfolds. The illustrations are detailed and the story is ful ...more
Graham P
A uniquely fresh entry into the world of manga - no big titty super-heroines, no supernatural sidekicks, no teenage angst, and no apocalyptic landscapes filling up every frame. What Ishikawa does here is lay down a simple tale of a young man entering an agricultural college right outside of Tokyo. What makes him unique is that he can see bacteria - every type of germ - from the common cold virus to yeast and even e. coli (which propels the book's most memorable scene, thanks to somebody not wash ...more
Erin Jones
Sep 17, 2014 Erin Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite the informative manga. Didn't expect to learn so much about bacteria and agricultural processes. I particularly enjoyed the cute illustrations and funny moments. Looking forward to reading the second volume.
Maria
Jul 09, 2014 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous, manga
Bacteria! Other microbes!

As a microbiologist in training, I thought this was an entertaining manga. I wish I had the ability to talk to my bacteria...
Sesana
Dec 22, 2012 Sesana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comics
Well, this was different. Moyasimon is set at an agricultural college, and stars a boy who can see (and interact with) microscopic organisms like mold spores and bacteria. Meanwhile, one of the characters (a professor) gives lectures about the nature of these tiny critters that are actually rather fascinating. After reading the first volume of Moyasimon, you will know about traditional sake brewing practices, and have a very good idea of the sort of conversations tiny, adorable yeast have amongs ...more
Abbie Foreman
Nov 03, 2014 Abbie Foreman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my type of book at all
Kristin Fletcher-spear
while I enjoyed reading it, this manga is text heavy with a lot of explanation of microbes, fermentation, and germs. That part is not really my cup of tea. If the gn had just been a slice of life college freshman story with the ability to see germs, then I would have really enjoyed it. Too bad the professor and his assistant had to ruin the last half of the book for me.
Jacqui Geisel
Jan 03, 2012 Jacqui Geisel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-read
Note: review is for the series up to where I've read (volume 2).

This series is unique, funny, and even educational! I wish they'd release more volumes in English...why does this always seem to happen to the series I like?

As a side note, if you think the microbes are cute here, just wait until you watch the anime. They are even more adorable with movement and voices.
Caleb
Jan 16, 2010 Caleb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The best college comedy about an agriculture student with the magical ability to see and communicate with germs, which appear to him as cute little Japanese designs, that I've ever read. (Also, the only).

Long-er review and some images here:
Anthony
Sep 28, 2015 Anthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this manga. It's a story about microbes and a boy who can see and hear them. He is a Freshman at a Japanese Agricultural college. It is amazing how much I learned about college in Japan and fermented Japanese products. Don't let the learning scare you away. It is also a great coming of age story.
Barbi
Jan 21, 2010 Barbi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
When I picked up this book, I thought that the premise sounded really interesting. The protagonist can see germs (and they're very cute). And it started out very promisingly. However, it quickly became an education treatise on different types of germs. Not really my idea of light and fun reading.
Shinyfox
Aug 19, 2013 Shinyfox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book, I picked it up randomly because of it's odd premise. It turns out to be worth the long read. It has an excellent mix of humor and lecture! You actually can learn a thing or two from this series while enjoying the mishaps and problems the main character stumbles through!
sweet pea
a bizarre premise. bizarre characters. somehow, it's appealing. it's my favorite graphic novel set in an agricultural college, for sure. i love it for the sheer specificity of the topic. not a series i wish to continue. but it did have it's interesting, amusing, and bizarre moments.
Joy
Feb 19, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky and funny--like Ohikkoshi crossed with Mushishi. The skewed sense of humor is a surprise and treat. Where else will you find a manga that has bacteria who say gozaru? I wish I had a copy to lend out, though, so I could determine what the audience is beyond, well, me.
Meghan
Dec 12, 2015 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun introduction to manga. I liked the premise better than the story itself (maybe because it was serialized and I couldn't get wrapped up in it very easily), but the bacteria were adorable and I came away surprised to feel like I learned a lot.
Travis Romano
Moyasimon is about the day to day college life of a boy who just happens to be able to see microbes with the naked eye. Don't expect some big mystery over how he has this power, or drama over the consequences of using his powers. It is a simple light hearted comedy.
Kathy
Jun 07, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphicnovel
scenario: kid can see microorganisms, goes to an agricultural school. Really, an exploration of microorganisms in our lives: fermentation, illness, health. Some quite gross.
Mariam
cute microbes! lots of facts that can put you to sleep, but funny manga.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Aug 30, 2012 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2012-books
never knew bacteria could be this much fun!
Kimberly
HILARIOUS. I can't wait to read more! :)
Niki Smith
Cutest little microbes you'll ever see.
Snow
clearing off the manga-to-be-read shelf
Victoria
May 08, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am eagerly awaiting the English version of the volume 3, and I so want to see the live-action series.
E Smith
Feb 24, 2010 E Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, japanamania
so great.
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Antique Bakery, Vol. 1
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, Vol. 1
  • Genkaku Picasso, Vol. 3
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)
  • Fujoshi Rumi 1
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • Mushishi, Volume 8/9/10
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 1
  • The Drops of God 1 (The Drops of God, #1-2)

Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture (10 books)
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 2