Start by marking “People of the Nightland” as Want to Read:
People of the Nightland

People of the Nightland (North America's Forgotten Past #14)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  581 ratings  ·  28 reviews
It has been a thousand years since Wolf Dreamer lead his people up through the dark hole in the ice to a rich, untouched continent bursting with game. But the world has changed. Most of the magnificent animals are gone, and the last of the great glaciers is melting, forming a huge freshwater lake in the middle of the world. Over the centuries the People of the Wolf have sp ...more
Published February 5th 2008 by Tor Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about People of the Nightland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People of the Nightland

Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
The world is falling apart, all is out of balance.Men grasp for power using spiritual leaders as their unknowing puppets. Religious wars have broken out... there is genocide. "Lebensraum" is the excuse. It is a time of great change and nothing, after this , will ever be the same again.
Sound familiar?
One of the great disappointments in my life is that I will never know... the past is a closed country and the answers to all my questions have dissolved into the wind. Historical fiction at least giv
Katie Rhodig
People of the Nightland tells the story of what happened to Wolf Dreamer and hose he led through the hole in the ice. Their descendents’ story is told here. The Gears once again have Raven Hunter and his twin, Wolf Dreamer at odds with one another. They vie for the souls and beliefs of those people. Split into 2 different groups known as the Sunpath peoples and the Nightland peoples, each group follows one of the brothers. Those who read this story get a glimpse of how Paleolithic North America ...more
Mariano
Beautifully written. Engaging characters. I can't say anything bad about this page-turner. I simply love the metaphors and overall use of language in this series. I couldn't put the book down. I've read some of them in english. Others in spanish, and I cannot help falling in love with the characters and the storyline. Great tale of war, sorrow and love. I learned a lot about the paleoindians and the specific period of time during which the story takes place. Two thumbs up!
Melissa
This book took me forever to get through. It was just so hard to get into. And although by the end I found it easier to read, the initial struggle was a bit much to get over. Seeing as how this is the fourteenth book in the series, I've already done my share of trudging through books this year (although this can be read as a stand-alone).

Where before Ti-Bish was an outcast, now he is a Guide. Raven Hunter, the Nightland people's God has given him a vision. He is to lead the people back through
Sophia Musgrave
This book was creepy. I did not like the darkness in it, literally it was one of the most disturbing books I have ever read. But overall it flowed well and had a good plot but the subject matter left a lot to be desired. Especially the main character the Prophet for the Nightland people, he was really creepy.
Betsy
Plot was difficult to follow.
Fredrick Danysh
The People of the Wolf have split into two separate groups, on in the ice and one further south in a land of sunshine. A young boy has has a vision from the Wolf Dreamer warning that the world will change. The young orphan with the help of a girl and a tired war chief have to convince the people to take action.
Billy Dominguez
Greatly written! Among my top favorite books of the series. Nomadic peoples' culture, war, hostages, dreamers, icebergs, an unexpected love match, superbly written plot twists and turns; all taking place alongside a natural disaster.
Chad
Initially this book was difficult to get into because I had trouble keeping track of all the characters (three of their names started w/ a K and were all three syllables). I also couldn't remember who belonged to which clan. After about the 100th page everything started to sink in and it became a more enjoyable read. Nightland is a perfect example of why I never give up on a book after the first few chapters.
Kolisd
Possibly because my father was a cultural anthropologist and archaeologist and I have early memories of accompanying him on digs, this book was fascinating to me. Focusing on early North Americans inhabiting the Michigan area their struggles for survival are woven with the mystical lore that guided them. I want to read the sequel, People of the Weeping Eye but it is always checked out at the library!!
Allison
Took a while to get going. With this series, you get a few different types of stories. Romance, war, mystery, some are a combo but this was mostly war. the first 2 thirds of the book were battles and strategy and whatnot. finally some of the spiritual magick started to show up as well as starting to feel connected to the characters. It was worth the read just had to stick with it at first.
Amy
Aug 20, 2007 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history lovers
Shelves: 2007-books
Paleo-Indian historical fiction. This is a continuation of the Wolf People series. This book followed tribes around Lake Erie at the end of the ice age. It depicts how many of the people were lost as the glaciers broke up and created a huge flood that covered much of Ohio and more. It had a good mystery, lots of magic and likable characters.
Sharon Lucas
Mar 07, 2008 Sharon Lucas rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Native American history and Archeology.
This is the latest in the North American People series. I have all the books in the series so far. The series is about the Prehistoric Peoples that inhabit different regions of North America. The authors use archeological information and Native American beliefs and history to create fascinating stories.
Theresa
The scab lands are a geological mystery, but the events that created this phenomenal area are not out of the scope of human history. This story confronts how prehistorically man dealt with and understood events of glacial melt, and how it affected the people that lived in the area.
Keith
I admit it; I'm hooked. This is one of the most recent in a long series and I’ve read several of them but regardless of the formula approach to the characters and the criticism of them lacking literary merit, I’m always entertained and enthralled until the last page. More please!
Tasneem
This was a super premise but the language wasn't so good so I didn't finish the book. I read about 1/3 into the book, the afterwards, and then skimmed the plot. Such a pity that they go into a bit too much make-believe and distort the super concept.
Dutchfarmeress
I just love the entire People series. It's so nice to visualize how the First People lived. Although after 13 or so books, some of the plots resemble, there is always something new. Like in this one, the warming of the climate.
Sandra
This is one of the First North Americans series.
The newest title is People of Weeping Eye.
This series uses history, fiction and archeology in relating the Native Cultures established throughout the United States.
Beth
I was disapointed. Too much war and too little description about culture of the time. Perhaps I just couldn't get farther into it than the 1st third to find less was and more culture. Will give the book away.
Isaura
For those who are interested in Native American historical fiction, this is set around 11,0000 years ago. A good piece of fiction based on archeological findings, and basic human nature, both good and bad.
Staci
big fan of this series, if you like Indians and want to learn more about the prehistoric times with storylines that are interwoven with modern day then you may like this.
V
Apr 03, 2008 V rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Very insightful book on the pre-American history and the culture that may have been during the Ice age times. Good sequel to the series.
Kawai
Not quite good, but enjoyable. In the watered down Clan of the Cave Bear genre. (And 10,000 times better than 10,000BC which was aweful!)
Jean
Interesting perspective on the ice age. Holds interest fictionally. Good read.
John Karabatos
Only complaint very hard to keep character names straight. I suggest you write them down.
Elizabeth
Following same pattern as others. Imaginative. Good and evil with some surprise.
Roxie
every page is awesome
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Maryworth
Maryworth marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
  • The Summoning God (The Anasazi Mysteries, #2)
  • Let the Drum Speak (Kwani, #3)
  • Thunder in the Sky (The First Americans, #6)
  • My Sister the Moon
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the fam ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...
People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2) People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1) People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3) People of the River (North America's Forgotten Past, #4) People of the Sea (North America's Forgotten Past, #5)