Start by marking “Ancient Rome in So Many Words” as Want to Read:
Ancient Rome in So Many Words

Ancient Rome in So Many Words

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The brief word-histories in this book are meant to provide background on some words that everyone learns when they study Latin, as well as some rarer terms that have interesting stories to tell about Roman culture. This books lists a new word or phrase that came into American English every year from 1975 to 1998, with a selection of early additions from 1497 to 1750, and d ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Hippocrene Books

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Rome in So Many Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Rome in So Many Words

Jon
The official blurb about this book is accurate. A series of one-page descriptions of important (and not so important) Latin words illustrating aspects of Roman life and also reminding us that our assumptions about the way things must always have been are not necessarily accurate. (What exactly was a pater familias? I thought I knew, but it's more nuanced than I realized.) A great book to keep by the bedside. Read just one page a night and in a few months become a Better Person!
Kilian Metcalf
From childhood (crepundia) to death (monumentum), this book takes a look at ancient Rome one word at a time. Some words look familiar but have very different meanings for the Romans than they do for us. I recommend this book to anyone with an interest in Roman history or word origins.
Dolores
A fascinating little book on the origins and meanings of many words that have come down to us from Roman times. Roman history and word origins are two of my favorite things!!
Keith
This is a great book. It's linguistically and culturally rich. It's a quick read and worthwhile, too.
Markus
This book has floated on my Kindle for a while. It's a good floater because it's a collection of short entries. So whenever I was deciding what to read next, I read this. It tells the origin and usage of Latin words in Ancient Rome. The book gives you a piece by piece picture of the culture of the Roman Empire. I would enjoy a sequel just as much.
John
Very interesting read, but a bit tedious at times.
I learned a lot about the Romans and their lives by looking at some of their words.
Elise
My friend Chris's book. He's super smart and cool, and I love Rome. The edition is coming out any day now.
Stephen Kibler
Rather interesting stuff.
Elizabeth Beckwith
Elizabeth Beckwith marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Gabriel Gasparolo
Gabriel Gasparolo marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Teleia
Teleia marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Fizzgig
Fizzgig marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Paul
Paul added it
Nov 24, 2014
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Mark John Ostrum
Mark John Ostrum marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Judah Ivy
Judah Ivy marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014