Start by marking “Monsterology (Ologies, #6)” as Want to Read:
Monsterology (Ologies, #6)

Monsterology (Ology)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  501 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A second major volume by the esteemed Dr. Drake — a lavish exploration of fantastical beasts, from yetis to unicorns

Do krakens really lurk below the ocean waves? Do griffins command the air above? In a fascinating new discovery sure to rival the ground-breaking DRAGONOLOGY, the intrepid Dr. Ernest Drake turns his inquisitive gaze from dragons to other so-called mythical cr
Published August 12th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Monsterology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsterology

Faeries by Brian FroudA Tolkien Bestiary by David DayAfter Man by Dougal DixonThe Book of Imaginary Beings by Jorge Luis BorgesFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling
Bestiaries
42nd out of 98 books — 56 voters
Dragonology by Dugald A. SteerEgyptology by Emily SandsWizardology by Dugald A. SteerMythology by Lady Hestia EvansPirateology by Dugald A. Steer
Interactive Books
18th out of 18 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Jasmine
This fun "reference" book is divided into four sections; Beasts of the Earth, Beasts of Water, Beasts of the Air, and Semi-Human Beasts. It's presented as a field guide to Monsters of the world, lavishly illustrated and with information on the beasts' food, habitat, appearance, forms of attack or flight, and general notes.

The general idea, is of course, that the Beast of Myth are there for the study of the diligent Monsterologists, and this books will aid them in their pursuit and cataloguing of
Anna
Though I think I enjoyed this ology more than the others, I was a little disappointed with the short amount of information given on each creature. There was much more information in the other books.
Syd
I think it's a true book about monsters. I thought it was wonderful. It has pictures and parts of the amazing beasts for you to feel and examine. It 's a really great book.
ShadeChloe
ooooo lots of cool stuff
Monster
Monsterology contains a guide to mythological monstrous beasts, written by the fictional Dr. Ernest Drake. The book is oversized, with an attractive cover, and the contents are presented in an almost “scrapbook” format. Drake divides his text into chapters, and in each chapter writes about his journeys to distant lands and the creatures he finds on his travels. There are a variety of photographs, illustrations, and maps, and each creature is pictured next to Drake’s description, which includes i ...more
Kaethe
I may just be burned out on -Ologies at this point. What I did like were the homework assignments, all of which would be useful for would-be zoologists or crytozoologists. The information on monsters was pretty much old hat by now, though. We've read a fair few monster books in the past decade.

Library copy.
Zoë Arabella
This is a very fun and interesting interactive book/guide/thing.

I mostly love it because it's so beautiful and I just want to collect them all!
Bianca
I think it's okay buts there's a part in it I truly don't belive. I like all mythical creatures. so this is my kinda book.
Laura Madsen
Really neat, clever concept, beautiful illustrations. The book is a faux textbook for budding monsterologists and explains how to seek monsters in the wild and care for orphaned baby monsters (i.e., "Unicorns should be fed pomegranate juice until they are five months old"). It very cleverly teaches kids some history, biology, geography and mythology. Each section also includes a homework assignment that might stimulate some real-world learning (i.e., "Begin your study of monster medicine by rese ...more
Fifi
sooooooo cool
Melissa Bennett
I love this book. It is in the same format as the other Ologie books but this one is done up for monsters. How much more fun can that get. I love they way they do this up like a scrapbook/journal. There is a lot of "samples" from the creatures that the author finds especially in the back, there is a section dedicated to the samples found. If you love monsters and/or the Ologie books, I would highly recommend this one!
Lady Knight
This is a great installment in the "Ology" series. While Eygptology is still my favorite, Monsterology will definately entertain any child. It contains tons of lift-the-flaps, things to feel (ever wonder what unicorn's hair felt like?), and oodles of mini-books to read along with the main story. This book is as detailed as any of the previous installments and is a must for any fan of the series.
Duane
This is an interesting book, but I feel like it leaves a lot of information out. Done as a handbook for beginning monster handlers, it gives brief hints and warnings on how to safely approach and study the various types of monsters that inhabit our world. It's a okay short read, but if you really want the information about monsters, go to another book.
Melanie Fair
A very interesting book with everything from commonplace myths to those less known about. I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys mythology. My only regret is that because of how many species there are and how short the book is, it couldn't go into greater detail about the races.
Drucilla
Jun 15, 2011 Drucilla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: o
Not much of a frame story but this book doesn't need one. It covers a wide variety of monsters from "real" ones like the yeti and Nessie to "fake" ones like unicorns and dragons. It also includes monsters from various mythologies, such as Norse and Greece. A very cool book!
Jaime
This whole series is amazing. They are very interactive is almost as if you cannot put them down. You have to touch them and play with them even if you can't read the text the book seems appealing to kids of all ages.
guiltlessreader
Awesome interactive book to keep kids busy for hours! A quick review and lots of photos on my blog Guiltless Reading
Andrew
A beautifully illustrated guide to monsters through the slightly biased perspective of Dr Drake. I suspect there may be some factual inaccuracies within the text, but overall a most informative read.
Tabi Card
I've only read two books in this 'ology' series, but I have to say I really like them! It's neat reading a detailed sort of scientific journal...about mythical creatures!
Becca
Another great ology! All of these are so interesting and well layed out.
Dominic
Just as good as Dragonology Ernest Drake ROCKS!!!!!!
Abigail Partis
I liked it and the back is amazing!
Myranda Barton
Myranda Barton marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Neuropozyne
Neuropozyne marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
  • Vampireology - The True History of the Fallen Ones
  • Illusionology
  • The Book of the Dragon
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)
  • A Practical Guide to Dragons (Practical Guides)
  • A Treasury of Children's Literature
  • The Secret History of Giants
  • Return to Fairyopolis
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • Pegasus
  • Appointment with F.E.A.R. (Fighting Fantasy, #17)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • Temple of Terror (Fighting Fantasy, #14)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Eric Carle's Dragons, Dragons
  • Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical Creatures Pop-Up
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs
Until recently, Dugald A. Steer worked as an author and editor at Templar Publishing. He is the writer behind Candlewick's widely acclaimed New York Times bestsellers, DRAGONOLOGY, THE DRAGONOLOGY HANDBOOK, and EGYPTOLOGY, as well as the forthcoming EGYPTOLOGY HANDBOOK. Dugald has now given up his editorial job to concentrate on writing full-time, especially more books with "ology" in the title. D ...more
More about Dugald A. Steer...

Ology (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ologies, #1)
  • Egyptology (Ologies, #2)
  • Wizardology
  • Pirateology: The Pirate Hunter's Companion (Ologies, #4)
  • Mythology (Ologies, #5)
  • Spyology
  • Oceanology: The True Account of the Voyage of the Nautilus
  • Vampireology - The True History of the Fallen Ones
  • Alienology (Ologies, #10)
  • Illusionology
Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ologies, #1) Wizardology The Dragon's Eye: The Dragonology Chronicles, Volume One Pirateology: The Pirate Hunter's Companion (Ologies, #4) The Wizardology Handbook: A Course for Apprentices