Start by marking “The Coming of the Lord” as Want to Read:
The Coming of the Lord

The Coming of the Lord

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  260 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Could there be a subject more compelling than the Savior's Second coming? In this book, Elder Gerald N Lund brings into sharp focus the events, both thrilling and threatening, that are to precede and accompany that time. Deliberately avoiding the speculation common to many books on this topic. Elder Lund ties his commentary to significant scriptural passages and authoritat ...more
Published December 28th 2002 by Barnes & Noble (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming of the Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming of the Lord

John
Jun 05, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
My mother and brother and I read the first edition of this book together in 1976 before Mark's mission. It was at that time the finest published discussion of the "signs of the times." My copy is heavily underlined, and I have referred to it many times since then.
Gerald Lund is a LDS household name for his fiction, but he is also a legend in the Church Education system for his scholarship, insight, and amazing skill as a gospel teacher.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Sep 10, 2014 Kaylynn Johnsen rated it liked it
It is a little out of date, but it had great quotes we just don't hear anymore.

I just re-read this, My edition is 1971. I see there is a 2005 edition. I will have to check that one out.

I just find a gem that is new to me:
David O. McKay speaking in 1935 on the topic of Zion, "...improve the means of communications until with radio in our pockets we may communicate with friends and loved ones from any point at any given moment." Ponder on that a moment.
Jill
May 20, 2008 Jill rated it it was amazing
Gerald N. Lund writes this book regarding the last days by compiling revelations from the prophets. This is not written in the author's opinion, rather using his own words simply to tie together the prophesies into a readable format. My advice: don't stop half way through or you'll be left scared! The peace of the Second Coming is in the second half :)
Nick
Jan 10, 2009 Nick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Lund lays out all the events preceding, during, and after the Second Coming of Christ in a straightforward, concise manner, emphasizing his points with scripture and quotes from the Brethren that enrich the entire work. He doesn't deal in speculation, just what has been revealed and how to prepare.
Melissa
Nov 10, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I always borrow from Gma and my Dad - need to just buy it. First part a little frightening and then the good stuff comes...so don't put it down too quickly.
Morris
May 24, 2009 Morris rated it liked it
The author was originally a seminary/institute teacher, later member of Quorum of Seventy [1st, 2nd, I can't remember:] and author of The Work and the Glory series. In this 1971 book, he collects and organizes quotes from the scriptures and Journal of Discourses about the events leading to the Second Coming. He emphasizes the Rocky Mountain fortress view that at some point the Rocky Mountains would be the only place on earth free of mob rule and turmoil. Most of the quotes are of brethren long d ...more
Tyler
Nov 27, 2013 Tyler rated it it was ok
Synopsis: Elder Gerald N. Lund explores the prophecies of things that must come to pass before the second coming of Jesus Christ. Published in 1971, Elder Lund covers scriptural prophecies and prophecies that have been made by modern-day apostles and prophets up to the book's publication. Most of the prophecies of the second coming that have been made in the latter-days were made during the 19th century, with a smattering of follow-up prophecies here in the last 100 years or so. Everything has b ...more
Tim Malone
Jul 13, 2013 Tim Malone rated it really liked it
I've read this at least five times. I use it constantly as a reference book to study the signs of the times in the last days. I believe it has been in constant print since first published in the 70's. That shows you that the subject is both interesting and his treatment is fair, although it reads more like a textbook than an informative narrative. There are plenty of references and quotes. I wish there was more about the prophesied cataclysmic catastrophes, but you can learn plenty from the amou ...more
Megan
Nov 23, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any LDS
Recommended to Megan by: Jeanine
This was a great read. Even though it was written over 30 years ago, it was pretty relavent. I especially appreciate the fact that reading this helped to calm some of my fears about the end of the world, and it actually got me excited for some of the cool things that have been prophesied. Definitely worth a read if you have questions about what will happen, when, and why. And if you're living an honest, good life, then it really gives you reassurance that it will all work out OK.
Kathy Blose
Jun 11, 2008 Kathy Blose rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the first time in the early 1990s. My branch president in Pennsylvania, Roberto Villafane, loaned us his copy and we went and bought our own. I have loved it ever since.

This book has NO speculation--it is grounded in scriptures and in the words of the prophets. It has given us a great understanding of what will happen before the Savior comes. We need to prepare well so we will have no reason to fear.

Kathy Blose

Shannon
Dec 12, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I have heard bits and pieces of the prophecies of the Second Coming throughout the years, but I have never really studied them in depth. Gerald Lund did a superb job of combining all these prophecies in one work. I learned so much from this book and I'm very grateful that I read it. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about this topic and by so doing, be more prepared for that time.
Greg
Jun 29, 2008 Greg rated it it was amazing
I believe this was Gerald Lund's first book, written back in the early 1970s. It is a doctrinal examination of the signs and times of the last days, grounded in scripture and the writings of prophets and apostles. It walks the reader chronologically through what has happened, what is happening, and what will happen in fulfillment of prophecy, both ancient and modern. Highly recommended for any serious student of the gospel.
Renee
Jan 07, 2014 Renee rated it really liked it
Wonderful book for LDS readers...signs of the times, prophecies fulfilled and expected....author is brillant and has done a lot of research. Left me feeling very upbeat and solemn at the same time.
Kevin
Dec 07, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds, read-2011
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. As I finished it, I still had questions about the 2nd coming, but I guess one of the things that I learned from this book is that there will probably always be questions at least until it actually happens. I'd be happy if anyone out there had a similar book to recommend, because I think it's a very interesting subject and I'd like to learn more.
Jenalyn
Jan 29, 2011 Jenalyn rated it liked it
This did have some good information, and I appreciate the fact that everything was referenced by either scripture or GA (though not recent in the slightest), but it was WAY too much information for me. And I felt while reading it that perhaps the earlier generations of the church were a little bit obsessed by the Second Coming. Just my opinion. Maybe I'm being blasphemous!
Tanya
Apr 16, 2013 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Love, Love, Love! I read this book 10 years ago and was amazed at the number of prophecies that have been fullfill and was even more amazed at how many have been fullfill in the past 10 years. I am so grate to know the things I know and to be able to look forward to the second coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Lorena
Mar 20, 2009 Lorena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lorena by: Michael White
A must-read. I no longer fear/worry about the Second Coming as much as I did before because I am more familiar with the signs and can see where we are on the timeline. Lund puts it all together in this book, and goes strictly from the scriptures and quotes from prophets and apostles. That was important to me.
Becky
Jun 16, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I only gave it 4 stars because it is not really an easy read - but when is doctrine an easy read??? Another book everyone should read- signs of the times, what we can do to be prepared, and not just a bunch of fluff. The second coming is closer than we think...
Mary Karnes
Oct 11, 2009 Mary Karnes rated it liked it
I wanted to read a book that was a one source explanation of everything that has been revealed about the signs that will accompany Jesus' second coming. This book had most of the revelations but I was not satisfied with how the book was organized. Can anyone reccommend a similar, book?
Debbie
Oct 17, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing
"The Coming of the Lord" is a comprehensive look at long prophesied events leading up to the second coming of Jesus Christ. Using scripture and latter-day prophecies, Gerald Lund examines what to expect in the days to come. I highly recommend this book!
Wendy
Jan 09, 2009 Wendy is currently reading it
I've read an older edition of this before. It's a nice compilation of prophets' quotes and scriptures on the Second Coming, signs of the times, etc. I like it because it's very grounded, not full of questionable doctrine or scare tactics.
Raymond Spitzer
Jun 20, 2013 Raymond Spitzer rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book despite its roots in children's bedtime stories. I wondered from time to time why certain plot elements went the way they did, but I kept reading and enjoying the story. Gerald Lund is a good storyteller.
Diane Rowley
I trust Lund's book to be accurate because he uses only quotes from prophets and apostles. It was an enlightening book--showed the perilous times to come but also the glorious times to come. I really enjoyed reading it.
Susan
Oct 13, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
I haven't finished yet but I started this book because a good friend recommended it. I thought it would depress me because of all the prophesies of the hard times to come but I have found it oddly comforting!!
Mike
Sep 17, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
This book was well written. Each chapter helped the reader build their understanding of some of the most important events the world will see and experience. No fluff, just facts based on multiple sources. A good read!
Ger
Apr 09, 2010 Ger rated it really liked it
A very good overview of the events of the last days. The focus is away from doom and gloom and towards being prepared and hopeful. I recommend reading this book at least once but more would be preferred.
Kirt
Jul 08, 2009 Kirt rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Excellent authoritative, upbeat treatment of "last days" prophecy, events, and purposes. Helps one appreciate the "great" aspect despite the "dreadful" part of the "great and dreadful day of the Lord".
Lane
Jan 17, 2009 Lane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes
Recommended to Lane by: My Motheer
Shelves:
Lund does a wonderful job of referencing his work. I have found this to be a wonderful read. This read is a "life guide" to help one prepare for the advent of our Savior's Second Coming.
Kim
Sep 05, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Very good book. It was written in 1971 so some of the predictions have not come to pass (yet). There is some very good source material in this work.
Diana
Nov 13, 2007 Diana rated it really liked it
I like all the quotes complied together, and found it to be very informational. And it's a pretty quick read, which is always nice on these types of books.
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • A New Witness for the Articles of Faith
  • The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles Student Manual
  • The Hidden Christ: Beneath the Surface of the Old Testament
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Lehi in the Desert, The World of the Jaredites, There Were Jaredites (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 5)
  • Life Everlasting
  • The Great Apostasy
  • The Cleansing of America
  • Be Thou An Example
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.
  • The Promise of Discipleship