Start by marking “The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)

The Dark Age (The Ancient Future #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  2,170 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
The white light surrounded her, exuding from the ground within the circle. The mist rose towards the sky to form a billowing cloud. From within the largest stone a ball of blue light steadily made its way towards her.

Late one evening, a car accident leaves Tory - a daughter of a prominent history professor - stranded near a ring of stones in the English countryside. She re
Published October 1996 by Voyager Online Australia (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Age

Eunice
Sep 21, 2013 Eunice rated it it was ok
Shelves: trime-tavel
The No. 1 problem I had with this novel:
What people think Old English is: Thou art indeed a fine lad, prithee yonder! Wherefore arest mine pantalones?
What it actually is: Syððan ǽrest wearð feasceaft funden, hé þæs frófre gebád, wéox under wolcnum weorðmyndum þáh, oð þæt him ǽghwylc ymbsittendra ofer hron-ráde hýran scolde, gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs gód cyning!

pros:
* fast paced (there was always something happening in each paragraph)
* ancient Wales, need I say more?
* hot guys - all incredibly fit
Mike
Feb 11, 2012 Mike rated it did not like it
Truly awful. Mary Sue, uh, I mean, Tory is at the same time conveniently one of the few modern speakers of early medieval Welsh, a black belt in martial arts - and a shallow, ignorant idiot who the author would have us believe is a great woman of destiny.

The editing is terrible, but then, the manuscript probably started out worse (hard though that is to believe). There aren't many good places to go when you start out with an author capable of using, or misusing, two 17th-century English words (
Nicole
Jun 23, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Read these series about twice a year just because I love these books so much. The story is amazing, the journey the characters are on is wonderful, and I still laugh, smile and cry... each and every time I read these books!
Joybell
Nov 01, 2011 Joybell rated it really liked it
This book first came to my attention as a very young teen, and I was instantly enthralled. The elements of time travel, metaphysics and romance captured my attention. It was my first taste of fantasy that was 'easy-to-swallow'. In fact, I begged my best friends boyfriend to let me borrow the additional books in the series and I was captivated all over again.

As an adult, reading it all over again the book is quite flawed in the typical ways - one dimensional characters, unrealistic (yes, I know i
Amber Craig
Aug 07, 2008 Amber Craig rated it it was amazing
I got given this book from a friend of my parents before they moved overseas and I threw it on the bookshelf for a while. When I got the chance to read it I loved it and I've since re-read it quite a few times. I love the storyline and I love the characters!
Carla Khoo
Jan 03, 2013 Carla Khoo rated it it was amazing
This book is the gateway to a memorable series of action packed, page turning adventure. I don't know what to say here to motivate you to read it other than, if you if you consider yourself a female fantasy lover, YOU MUST read these. Traci has a way of making you adore the characters - to the point where you get that delicious sense of loss when you finish a book. The good news on that note is that Traci is still powering ahead and if you kick off with this one, you still have many more ...more
Melanie
May 30, 2011 Melanie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Blondes/Twilight fans/Mills & Boon 'historical' fans
Juliette
Heather
Sep 23, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: most teenagers
Recommended to Heather by: sibling
I love this series! I read them when I was fifteen and have never thought of them as poorly written or boring. I find the plot captivating and original, as well as the characters. Tory's relationship with Maelgwn is insanely romantic and I love the idea of everyone coupling up! This type of novel is the one I tend to head towards when i scour the shelves of book stores. I love every bit of it!
Sheridan
Apr 06, 2010 Sheridan rated it it was amazing
THIS IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE BOOK OF ALL TIME!!!!

it makes me wish i had amnesia so i could read it again, for the fist time!

the second book is really good too, but i don't particulary like the third and all the following books in the series don't even bother with.
Carmen
Sep 28, 2011 Carmen rated it it was amazing
One of the best on my bookshelf. I read this trilogy about once a year and I still love it, the characters, the history, the mysticism.
Penny
Jan 01, 2015 Penny added it
I don’t want to give this book a rating because I only read the first third of the book, and it might have gotten better after that.

What I didn't like:
Firstly, the romance aspect of this book is understated in the blurb. The first part of the story is basically a romance novel. The blurb talks about the main character being an awesome fighter, so I really expected that to be the main focus of the story. I expected to like the main character more, but I just didn't.

Character development was very
Natalia Smith
Apr 03, 2013 Natalia Smith rated it liked it
Grace
Mar 11, 2014 Grace rated it did not like it
I started this book thinking I'd seen a lot of Traci Harding books around, she must be a good author. But oh no! I honestly don't know how this got published, I've read more in depth and interesting pieces written by emos on FanFiction. I understand the appeal, travel back in time and meet your true love, make your mark on history - who doesn't want to do that? It's a good idea, but I just couldn't stand the acceptance of the characters of Tory. Modern woman who flaunts her discman and camera... ...more
Angela
Feb 27, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
My most favourite novel ever. EVER. For some reason no other book, fantasy based or otherwise has even come close to the awesomeness that this book oozes. I first read it at fourteen years old tucked under my desk in english class (I read it in class just to piss my teacher off).
If I had to guess how many times I've read it since, it would be over fifty times.
Set in the 1990's, Tory Alexander finds herself stranded on a quite English country road with a flat tyre. The rest is history. Traci inc
Marte Patel
Oct 18, 2008 Marte Patel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard mythical sci-fi fans who don't need their books to be well-written
Shelves: sci-fi
I got this book as a present, which makes it a little more difficult laying into it. I will therefore try and be balanced:

GOOD
It was interesting.
It was easy to read (despite clocking in at 672 pages).
It was different from what I usually read.

BAD
The pretend-use of the Brythanic language really grated on me and made the book more difficult to read (all the characters speak English, but with 'thee', 'thou', 'dost' and 'thine' thrown in - argh!).
It's appallingly badly written.
The whole New Age spiri
Kassandra
Feb 06, 2014 Kassandra rated it it was amazing
I love everything and anything by Traci Harding and this book is what started it all.

Tory is a strong, independent and brave woman. I love any story when there is a heroine instead of a hero because it's so refreshing, especially when they just get on with it all and don't become a blubbering mess all the time.

The idea of time travel is so cool and incorporating the marshal arts fighting style was a really cool twist on it all as well.

I could go on all day about this book, but you should read it
Jennie
Jan 14, 2013 Jennie rated it liked it
I adored this book when I first read it as a young lass and I've re-read it many times since. I tried re-reading it again recently, but the writing is awful at times and Tory seems to be a perfect character who "just happens" to be well-read up on ancient Britain and lore. The story is good, though and fun.
Desiree Hill
Mar 29, 2012 Desiree Hill rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved this book this was the first fantasy series I read if it wasn't for this book I probably never would have read so many wonderful fantasy books that i have..
Eliza
Apr 16, 2013 Eliza rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
I remember reading this book ages ago, enjoyed it heaps, only to realise after googling, all the unrealistic ideals and the fact that the main character was a Mary Sue. Ah, guilty pleasure type.
Christine
Jun 20, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
One of my favourite books of all time, I've read this book numerous times and could read it again still!
Carol
May 20, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
I find Traci's styles of writing a bit annoying, but the concepts are so awesome that I can't stop reading.
Becci
fantastic mix of history and action with just a little spirituality thrown in.
Great scifi and realistic characters
One of the best "Arthurian" stories
Julie
Dec 29, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, digital
i love this book so much! tori is a fabulous mary-sue (not in a bad way), the writing over-the-top yet entertaining. it's exactly the kind of story that make me re-read.
Fenix
Nov 27, 2008 Fenix rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book that should be read and not just stared at.
Joanna
Dec 30, 2012 Joanna rated it it was amazing
I love these books!
Sarah Smit
Oct 02, 2016 Sarah Smit rated it it was amazing
I literally read this book, this series, every year without fail. When I first read this book about a decade ago now I think, I had to find the rest of the series from the public library as our school didnt have the full series. I can tell you I made sure they ended up in our school library (actually I think I single handedly spent about a $1000 of the budget for books in the last decade. The librarian likes me). Anyway, the series deeply resonated with me, and could not imagine ever willingly ...more
Jill Smith
May 21, 2012 Jill Smith rated it really liked it
I was fortunate enough to meet Traci Harding at Somerset Literary Festival a few years ago. She was giving a session with Kim Wilkins and another author. Being that Science Fiction/Fantasy/Gothic Horror is my favourite genre, I was fascinated to hear Traci explain her writing techniques. I was heartened by the fact that she was dyslexic and not highly educated and often writes with heavy metal music playing!

This book is an amazing adventure and as intriguing as its title, and it is the first bo
TheCosyDragon
Feb 01, 2015 TheCosyDragon rated it it was amazing

Tori is a scholar who specialises in British mysteries. She's still living at home with her parents, but she's decided to go out and spend time with her aunt to recover from her brother's unnecessary death. Little does she know that she is going to be scooped up into the past, and change the possible future.

Tori is skilled in martial arts, and is
Miss
Sep 13, 2015 Miss rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I was really torn throughout this book. I really wanted to like it, and it started off with promise, but in the end just didn't do it for me. There were aspects that I enjoyed - the strong female character and myriad of interesting supporting characters - however, despite the fact that the book is 600+ pages long I didn't feel like any of the characters were developed very well. We didn't really get to see them develop. It seemed like the author glossed over their growth. I also didn't like the ...more
Around the Year i...: The Dark Age, by Traci Harding 2 17 Feb 05, 2016 06:18PM
  • Red Phoenix (Dark Heavens, #2)
  • Druid's Sword (The Troy Game, #4)
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • Betrayal (Trinity, #1)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • Warrior (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #2)
  • Darkfall (The Legendsong, #1)
Traci Harding, is an Australian science-fantasy author who currently has twelve books in publication, on the Voyager label of HaperCollins Publishers Australia.

Her work blends fantasy, fact, esoteric belief, time travel and quantum physics, into adventurous romps through history, ulternative dimensions, universes and states of consciousness.

The Ancient Future Trilogy
Book 1 -The Ancient Future 199
More about Traci Harding...

The Ancient Future (3 books)
  • An Echo in Time: Atlantis (The Ancient Future, #2)
  • Masters of Reality: The Gathering (The Ancient Future, #3)