Start by marking “No Regrets and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #11)” as Want to Read:
No Regrets and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #11)

No Regrets and Other True Cases (Crime Files #11)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,396 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
A ship's pilot legendary for guiding mammoth freighters through the narrows of Puget Sound, Rolf Neslund was a proud Norwegian, a ladies' man, and a beloved resident of Washington State's idyllic Lopez Island. Virtually indestructible even into his golden years, he made electrifying headlines more than once: after a ship he was helming crashed into the soaring West Seattle ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about No Regrets and Other True Cases, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Regrets and Other True Cases

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesNaked by David SedarisForever in Blue by Ann BrasharesLiving Dead Girl by Elizabeth ScottThe Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
Clothing on the Cover
10th out of 96 books — 16 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsWith Good Behavior by Jennifer LaneExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran FoerSchindler's List by Thomas Keneally
Hand and Glove
463rd out of 571 books — 118 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandy James
Jul 25, 2016 Sandy James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great addition to the true crime files collection. Ms. Rule will be greatly missed.
Leigh
After reading Small Sacrifices by Ann Rule last year I started to buy her books eager to read more. Many people have said that her longer books are better the crime files are missing something, while others that the crime files series are the best and the full books drag. So I decided to see for myself and choose to read one of the crime files books. The cover drew me in. For some reason I pictured a murder at sea. Instead I spent most of a five day weekend buried in this book and the seven ...more
Trisha Dickerson
Oct 11, 2016 Trisha Dickerson rated it it was amazing
Typical Ann Rule. This is one of her older books, but still a good read
Carol
Apr 27, 2016 Carol rated it liked it
It is hard to rate this book. Mostly, I found it strangely attractive, and being somewhat compulsive anyway, I kept on reading even when it wasn't much fun. With one exception, I thought the stories rated 2 stars at the most.

These true crime stories focus on how real-world trials go (not like Perry Mason at all), on the hard work of the police detectives in trying to get the evidence needed, the role of experts in forensic matters, and of course the evil in the hearts of the perpetrators, illust
Donna
Jul 24, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann Rule's books are full of lessons, explicit and implicit. These lessons often have to do with being alert, paying attention to our own feelings of alarm or distrust, and learning how not to be a victim. In No Regrets, the reader gets more insight into the minds and motives of the killers than those of the victims--who, after all, are dead and gone by the time their stories are told in courtrooms and newspapers. And there are lessons here, too.

For example, in the first, book-length story entit
Kinni
Jan 05, 2011 Kinni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this boof was difficult to read, I really liked this book, mostly because I really like mystery books. I have never read one of Ann Rule's books before "No Regrets" but I thought she had taken this murder/mystery book to the next level. The thrill of a missing man and people trying to solve the question: What happened to Rolf Neslund? The captain had crashed his ship, costing millions of dollars in damage. He had disappeared at the age of 80 years old. People were questoning weather he ...more
Em
Mar 22, 2011 Em rated it did not like it
Not my favorite genre, but I really didn't like Rule's writing style. Interesting stories from the northwest -- the lead story took place on Lopez Island -- but it is a very flat telling of each story with the author's opinions and, oftentimes, snide remarks interjected constantly. Also, I have to wonder about her facts when I read statements like this:

"Joy told Ray Clever that she was at work that day, estimating that it was noon in Ohio (3:00 P.M. in Washington State) when her aunt called her,
Michelle
Apr 20, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Good book in that the stories were not lurid headlines. These were stories of real tragedies and were treated as such. In this particular series, I learned a little more about the tragic history of the area I now call my home (Washington state). The story of the ship captain was characteristic of the spouse that implicitly trusts their spouse a little too much combined with being away from home for great periods of time--not a great combination.
Rebecca Huston
Aug 10, 2010 Rebecca Huston rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Seven chilling tales of true crime by long time author Ann Rule. While her writing style is pretty dry, these stories kept me turning the pages to find out what happened next. The first story brought back some memories of Seattle, and an infamous bridge meets ship incident. Recommended, and one of the better entries in the series.

For the complete review, please go here:
Luwanda Dunfee
Aug 10, 2015 Luwanda Dunfee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann Rule is a compassionate author. She knows her subject matter is sensitive and so she shows no judgement, allowing the reader to accept the facts and make their own determination. This stories are all from the pacific northwest, and Ann Rule gives the history around the particular stories, giving more background than you would expect. It is an interesting read.
Shari
Nov 11, 2011 Shari rated it it was ok
I am a big fan of Ann Rule and normally love her books. This was not one of my favorites :(. I like her books with longer feature stories. I don't enjoy the shorter stories at the end - because you don't really get to know the people involved.

I will stick with her books that have long, feature stories.
Nancy
Jun 27, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This is the usual fare from Ann Rule; good guilty pleasure for me! This one has a longer story in it about a Norwegian Sea Captain Rolf Neslund who goes missing and is never found. Then there are five or six smaller short stories, one of which was about a social worker being kidnapped; that rather put my teeth on edge.
Tamara
Apr 01, 2013 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Ann Rule always stuns me with her stories and No Regrets did not fail to keep me amazed. Although the stories are sad, they keep you interested in the stories. No Regrets is a compilation of several true stories, each more gruesome than the next. If you are interested in true crime, Ann Rule is the women to read.
I am always a fan of Anne Rule's stories because she is so empathetic and does a wonderful job of staying away from sensational details. Her stories, whether book length tales or short pieces, always have something to say about trusting our instincts when confronted with danger.
Jlsimon
Dec 07, 2015 Jlsimon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, true-crime
This is a series of truly sad stories. Rule ends her book with a story that should be inspiring, but it's still just so very sad.

I would recommend this book to individuals who have enjoyed other books by Ann Rule, M. William Phelps, or Aphrodite Jones.
Mary Beth
Dec 04, 2007 Mary Beth rated it it was ok
Another Ann Rule, true crimes book. I actually thought the 11 was the Roman Numeral 2 (I mean what kind of store sells only Vol 1 & Vol 11?) anyhow, it kind of made me mad that I skipped a whole 9 volumes, so I haven't had the desire to finish it. I hate reading things out of order.
Ruth
Dec 26, 2012 Ruth rated it liked it
Ann Rule consistently impresses me with her ability to convey the bitter facts of these cases with an even hand, knowing when to be dispassionate -- letting the horrifying facts speak for themselves without sensationalism -- and when to express compassion.
Vanessa
Aug 09, 2007 Vanessa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
To be honest I was a little disappointed in this one. I generally like Rule's true-crime novels, and most recently particularly enjoyed Green River Running Red, but the stories in this anthology were brief and without much suspense. Yawn.
Nikki De Los Santos
Apr 25, 2008 Nikki De Los Santos rated it it was ok
I am addicted to Ann Rule and have read nearly everything she has written. I was a little disappointed with this book as there wasn't much suspense. This is the only book of hers that I wasn't crazy about.
Amy
Sep 10, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Ann Rule as always was a page turning book. I enjoy her writing style and am always interested in how crimes are solved. Ann Rule never lets you down for a can not put it down book. One of my favorite writers.
Rachel
Apr 14, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
I generally love Ann Rule but this book was a little dissapointing. It was a little slow and hard to get into. Not sure if it was the storyline or the story teller but I'm going with story line since I enjoy Ann up till now.
Amanda
May 15, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It is very disturbing to hear stories of what people are actually capable of doing to other people.
Rodrigo
Aug 01, 2013 Rodrigo rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book is everything that I ever dreamed of. I am still reading "The Sea Captain." Hopefully, I will be finished with the book by the end of the week.
Clint
Mar 04, 2016 Clint rated it it was amazing
Reading a compilation of Ann Rule cases is like watching hours of "Investigation I.D." It's hard to turn away if you like the "true crime" genre.
Beth
Jul 05, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
Ann Rule really is a good true-crime writer. Her stories kept me interested and I had no problem picking the book up after 2 days and getting right back into it.
Louise Wardell
Sep 24, 2012 Louise Wardell rated it liked it
I enjoy real crime. Ann Rule tells the story from both sides, you get the police side plus the family side.
Jocelynne Broderick
Aug 31, 2012 Jocelynne Broderick rated it really liked it
I wish these cases had dates. Unless I missed them, but the only date I saw was the copyright date 2006.

I think I prefer her full-length books.
Kim Taras
Jul 22, 2013 Kim Taras rated it really liked it
Some of these were disturbing to read but as always Ann Rule does a great job at getting all the facts and presenting them well.
Karen Huber
Apr 20, 2008 Karen Huber rated it it was amazing
I read this because my cousin was the juror in the case of the ships captain. We've been following tidbits abt the case ever since she was in jury duty.
Anne Marshall
Mar 14, 2008 Anne Marshall rated it really liked it
Very good crime writer. Uses her writing talents well to create a narrative style that is easy to read. Would be interested in reading more by her.
  • Never Enough
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt for the Green River Killer
  • Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • Twisted Triangle: A Famous Crime Writer, a Lesbian Love Affair, and the FBI Husband's Violent Revenge
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • Whatever Mother Says...: A True Story of a Mother, Madness and Murder
  • Blood Secrets: A Forensic Expert Reveals How Blood Spatter Tells the Crime Scene's Story
  • Are You There Alone?: The Unspeakable Crime of Andrea Yates
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • Dead And Buried: A Shocking Account of Rape, Torture, and Murder on the California Coast
  • Gone Forever
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • Murder In Spokane
Ann Rule was a popular American true crime writer. Raised in a law enforcement and criminal justice system environment, she grew up wanting to work in law enforcement herself. She was a former Seattle Policewoman and was well educated in psychology and criminology.

She came to prominence with her first book, The Stranger Beside Me, about the Ted Bundy murders. At the time she started researching th
More about Ann Rule...

Crime Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Rose for Her Grave and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #1)
  • You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases (Crime Files, # 2)
  • A Fever in the Heart and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #3)
  • In the Name of Love and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #4)
  • The End of the Dream: The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up (Crime Files, #5)
  • A Rage to Kill and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #6)
  • Empty Promises and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #7)
  • Last Dance, Last Chance and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #8)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #9)
  • Worth More Dead and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #10)