Start by marking “Darksong (The Legendsong, #2)” as Want to Read:
Darksong (The Legendsong, #2)

Darksong (The Legendsong #2)

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,149 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
These are the signs by which the Unraveller shall be known:

Half-blind yet seeing all,
marked by visioning yet without Darkfall mark,
who lives yet sings the death song,
who is born yet is not of the Song of Making,
who is gifted from the Great Waters,
who is crowned in bright flame
. . . Legendsong of the Unykorn.

After crossing to the troubled world of Keltor, Ember learns that
Published September 1st 2003 by Viking Australia (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Darksong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darksong

Sabriel by Garth NixDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierObernewtyn by Isobelle CarmodyLirael by Garth NixAkarnae by Lynette Noni
Best Australian Fantasy Reads
60th out of 221 books — 179 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenOn the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaSaving Francesca by Melina MarchettaLooking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta
Best Australian YA Books
81st out of 258 books — 437 voters

More lists with this book...

Manda
Nov 17, 2009 Manda rated it really liked it
It's strange to think that I read this the year it came out- when I was 12 and in Year 7. I'm now 20 and I've just finished my second year of uni- still waiting for the Darkbane. Damn you, Carmody, damn you.
Sisi
Jan 22, 2008 Sisi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers. Obviously.
Miriam Williams
May 07, 2013 Miriam Williams rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when it came out, and still consider it one of my favourites. But I refuse to recommend it to anyone as I have now been waiting for the last book for over 10 years... How hard is it to finish a series, really?! She's written a pile of novels since.
Dijana
Aug 25, 2013 Dijana rated it it was amazing
I just love this series, but I wish she'd finish it off already instead of starting new series every few years!
Sandra
Mar 28, 2014 Sandra rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
DNF. It's killing me. It's frustrating. Carmody has got the characters and the world for a really good high fantasy series but she just doesn't want to deliver it.

Darkfell had been heavy, but I decided to give Darksong a fair chance because the storyline seemed about to take off. Alas, no, after 176 pages, it hasn't yet. Characters started to get closer in Keltor and I thought that I had got through the worst part. But no, she decided to send them away.

The series has three POVs (Glynn, Ember and
Eran Brodet
Oct 10, 2014 Eran Brodet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Plot-wise both books have been nice, but felt too childish at times, and tinged with such notions as other of Carmody books seems to have, that animals are intelligent as or more than humans, the modern way of the world is cruel and full of suffering and needs to be fixed, and such notions which feel irrelevant, and don't resonate with me.

The structure of the books, that every other episode is "segue" and irrelevant felt rather exasperating and most of the time I found myself thinking "not again
Sue
Jan 23, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
Loved this one. Its very long which doesnt bother me. I've now got my head around the politics and most of the characters. There are so many that at times I did forget who was aligned with who. The plot thickens as various factions vie for control of the world (s?) our twins have been sucked into. A big grumble from others is that it has been aroung 11 years since writing bk 1 and 2. A bit too long between drinks I think to wait for bk 3.I was lucky as I have only just read the first 2 this year ...more
Laura Bird
Jul 10, 2014 Laura Bird rated it it was amazing
Kiri
May 11, 2014 Kiri rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
While the story was still fairly interesting, it got bogged down with excessive vision sequences and recapping events which had happened earlier. I also got tired early on of its convenient way in which characters would see a vision anytime something interesting was going on which they needed to know about - which necessitated a retelling of events over and over to other characters which was pretty dry for the reader. Cut out all the visions and it makes a pretty good book.
Salimbol
Oct 11, 2013 Salimbol rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I read the first book in this series over ten years ago, and while I remember enjoying it, virtually none of the details had stayed with me. So starting this, the second book in the Legendsong series, I had to perform all the mental gymnastics that you have to go through when you enter a series part-way through. Having said that, once I'd found my feet I really enjoyed this story. It's long, complex and thoughtful; the characters feel real; the world-building is interesting; and I really appreci ...more
Jossie
Jan 01, 2014 Jossie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: 2012-reads, rereads
This my favourite book by Isobelle Carmody. I've read many times with maybe a year or more gap between, and each time I forget things and then am pleasantly surprised to experience this wonderful world of Keltor and it's relatable characters. I recommend this series to everyone. Darkbane is eagerly anticipated, but we still have to wait a while for it... but each time I reread this series, it is offers more and more, and rereading it is such an experience because each time I get to go back to th ...more
Jbrackers3
Feb 11, 2011 Jbrackers3 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-2011
This was such a long read that I wasn't sure I could stick with it but I am so glad I did because it was totally worth it. The first half dragged a bit but picked up swiftly as connections between characters fell into place. I was equally interested in Glynn and Ember's storylines, whereas in Darkfall I was predominately interested in Glynn. The political plots thickened but I must admit I could of used a character list of everyone to help keep track of it all. Hope we don't have to wait too muc ...more
Melanie
Dec 04, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-wish-i-owned
The Plot thickens! The Awesomeness continues on from the last book, but We learn that (view spoiler) ^_^ (view spoiler) It's all so very interesting, I LOVE the plot twists, it deffinitely had me bitting my nails and wringing my hands ...more
Greta Riordan
Sep 12, 2015 Greta Riordan rated it it was amazing
can't wait for the next one
Julie
Jan 16, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Now that I'm familiar with the legends and politics outlined in Book 1, I was free to enjoy Book 2 without all the hard work. And I did. The story was exciting and the characters had depth. I want to jump straight into Book 3 but, alas, it has not been written yet! AAAARGH!
Recommended reading for lovers of fantasy and adventure (YA and above).
bin
May 05, 2009 bin rated it really liked it
Willem Malan
May 10, 2015 Willem Malan rated it liked it
Good ideas about the themes of chaos and song in every being. But i sort of got frustrated at how there constantly seems to be something going wrong that could have simply been avoided had the characters simply thought things through.

the politics of keltor also became stiflingly overbearing later in the story. Too much emphasis was played on political explanations and statements for me to get into the story.
Caitlin Kinsella
Dec 10, 2015 Caitlin Kinsella rated it really liked it
Fantastic book, fantastic series, pity - based on Carmody's history - it will probably never be finished. Save yourself the torture of never knowing the end by NOT reading this gem. Unless she writes the final book, in which case I heartily recommend it.
Trisha
Mar 16, 2008 Trisha rated it it was amazing
A continuation of the most beautiful first book in the Legendsong series, this book equals the first in its power to mesmerise.

I am desperately awaiting the release of book 3, but sometimes I wonder if it'll ever happen.

Come on Isobelle!!!
Maz
Jul 31, 2013 Maz rated it really liked it
Have read this book multiple times. Love it, but you do start to lose track after a while if you read it in dribs and drabs. Hopefully I won't have to wait another 10 years for Darkbane to come out. Come on already, Isobelle!
Kim Williams
Jan 31, 2013 Kim Williams rated it it was amazing
read this many times over i love the series but whilst carmody's work is addictivly good the amount of time you have to wait for her to finish is torment can not wait until the next edition hopefully i am still able to read then.
Toni Hambilton
Apr 10, 2009 Toni Hambilton rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, I loved the two books, and was thoroughly disappointed to find that the 3rd book in the series, 7 years on from the release of book 2 still hasn't been published. What a let-down.

SwEeT MeMoRiEs
Mar 13, 2008 SwEeT MeMoRiEs rated it really liked it
Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Although this book was a challenge to read at first (my english was rather limited back then) I was instantly absorbed into the alternative world Carmody created.
Naomi
Oct 18, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
Shelves: excellent
Ms Carmody please finish this series. It's torture waiting!

This book is beautiful and I love the characters. Carmody always manages to write strong, engaging female leads.
Clodagh
Nov 19, 2010 Clodagh rated it really liked it
I loved it and hated it. Loved it because the story and characters and everything are so cool, but hated it because it had to end! I cant wait for Darkbane!
C.
Aug 14, 2008 C. rated it really liked it
More trashy fantasy, but at least the plot is a little more complex and layered than that of Obernewtyn. I can be absorbed in this world.
Cathy
Sep 09, 2012 Cathy added it
I really enjoyed this book, but there were a couple of editing problems like extra apostrophes and things.
Victoria Allan
Jul 10, 2013 Victoria Allan rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the two books so far from this series. I just wish she would hurry up and finish it!
Leonie
Dec 31, 2009 Leonie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this immensely but have been let down by the fact that number 3 is still forthcoming
Billy
Jan 24, 2010 Billy rated it really liked it
It's so very lame, but I like it anyway. Rereading due to lack of other things to read.
  • How I Found the Perfect Dress (Morgan Rawlinson, #2)
  • The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)
  • Gene Of Isis (Mystique Trilogy, #1)
  • Weatherwitch (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #3)
  • Hour of Need (The Laws of Magic, #6)
  • The Battle for Rondo (Rondo, #3)
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns Of Balinor, #7)
  • Merlin's Blade (The Merlin Spiral, #1)
  • Goddess (Percheron, #3)
  • The Undivided (Rift Runners, #1)
Isobelle Carmody began the first novel of her highly acclaimed Obernewtyn Chronicles while she was still in high school. The series has established her at the forefront of fantasy writing in Australia.

In addition to her young-adult novels, such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle's published works include several middle-grade fantasies. Her still-unfinished Gateway Trilogy
More about Isobelle Carmody...

The Legendsong (3 books)
  • Darkfall (The Legendsong, #1)
  • Darkbane (The Legendsong, #3)