Darkfall (The Legendsong #1)

Darkfall (The Legendsong #1)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,323 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Book one of The Legendsong is set in a mysterious, uncertain world that only Carmody could create. After the death of her parents and her beloved instructor, Wind, Glynn devotes herself to the care of her sick twin sister, feeling her own life to be unimportant. One night, during a midnight swim, she is swept across the Void to the troubled watery world of Keltor, through...more
Published September 1st 1997 by Viking Australia (first published July 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Darkfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkfall

Josh
Firstly I just want to mention that this story is quite simply fun to read. Despite all the deep and meaningful stuff that I'm about to go into concerning what I read between the lines of this fantasy adventure, the book isn't difficult, and is paced beautifully. The story is simply filled with crowning moments of awesome. All this other stuff I'm about to talk about, a reader can safely ignore and still enjoy the story. The world of Keltor is authentic, complicated and beautiful; a broken utopi...more
Trisha
This is one of my all-time favourite books. I guess I just love the subtle, sad beauty in it. I love the main characters, two strong and intriguing girls who struggle with self doubt inside themselves, but shine brightly to those who look upon them.

It's also kinda cool that the girls are Australians. But that wasn't really an important part of the story, not to me anyway.

It's the first fantasy I've ever liked which interwove my own world with a very different, alien one.

There are also yummy boys...more
Jessica Waters
Ever since I read Obernewtyn by Carmody I always seek out her books. I have a small weakness for strong female characters in well constructed novels and Carmody really knows her strong female characters! Darkfall introduced me to an older more mature Isobelle, while I love the Obernewtyn chronicles while reading them (especially now that I am older) you get a real sense of how young she was when she wrote them. Darkfall has a maturity and a sense of loneliness and responsibility that no one coul...more
Casey Anderson
Probably 3.5 stars, but I'm rounding up. This was a really unique book for me. A few times I had to force myself through it though. I was interested enough to want to see what happens but confused enough to also want to toss it aside. I'm very glad I didn't. I love the author's language and style. I will be seeking out more of her stuff, in addition to finishing this series I hope.
I think some of the things that she "revealed" later would have been much better told up front. Some of the mystery...more
Thoroughly enjoyed this book from the prolific (series-wise) but exceedingly slow-writing Isobelle Carmody. I took this with me on a skiing trip to Canada this year. There were many mornings when I had trouble dragging myself out of bed early enough to get first tracks on the snow. I found the story very exciting, intensified by the fact that Carmody split the story between the twin sisters Glynn and Ember. The chapters were long and with each change there was a point of view change between Glyn...more
This was well-written and had a great premise and interesting characters, so I couldn't understand why I just couldn't get into it. I kept finding myself skipping sections because I didn't care about them. I think there might have been too much about the politics of the world, but I can't say because my brain automatically tunes out when it comes across paragraphs describing the political tension between this kingdom and that kingdom and why certain factions can't get on and how past events and...more
Cassie
So dissapointed having read and loved the Obernewtyn series. I'm not good with anything that gets too heavy in to politics especially when it takes so long to get an idea of what everyone is on about on this parralel universe. I have currently given up 2 chapters from the end although I will finish it eventually. I don't think ill bother with the fest of the series though.
Jen
Beautiful story. Am waiting for the last one to come out!
bin
Really really good. I love Glynn.
Lauren
What must be a long time ago now I had a Borders voucher and wanted to get 'bang-for-buck' on an Isobelle Carmody book. I was up to Ashling in the Obernewtyn series, but Darkfall was such a thick and inviting book I had to go with that option. And though it has taken a couple of years (and two trys) to get through it, I'm glad I did.
This is not a light, easy read. It's complicated, emotional, deep and at times a little confusing. The first time I read it I got half way before I needed a break an...more
GSGS
I don't know what to rate this book.

...

I didn't finish it.

Not because it was overly bad, it just isn't my type of book and I didn't feel prepared to invest my time in a book which was so long.

The reason why I read this book was because the author was coming to my school, and I felt the need to have actually read something by her when she came. I only ended up reading 50 pages of her writing before she arrived. She was a great speaker and I really enjoyed her talk.

However, I wasn't thrilled wi...more
Everything about this story could have been great, and the first half at least was satisfying. What really let the book down for me was not the fact that the theme of politics was a prominent one, that I could have dealt with, it was the dry and boring way in which the politics were explained again and again and again. On top of that, there was so much dry dialogue (mainly in Ember's chapters between the soulweavers and the myrmidons) where things were unnecessarily picked apart and explained aw...more
Emily Barrett
I loved this book! True it was fairly long but the storyline and the comparison between the journeys of Ember and Glynn was awesome. I'm really looking forward to reading Book 2 - Darksong.
HC
wow, I am not a fantasy reader as a rule but this intrigued me. got totally absorbed into its world.
Sandra
7th traveling book.

10% * 3 stars + 50% * 4 stars + 25% * 3 stars + 5% * 2 stars + 15% * 4 stars again = 3.5 stars.

Review to come.
Cloud8
I was excited to find the first two books in this series through Abe Books since they're not available in the U.S. I love Isobelle Carmody and was happy to get sucked into another story. This book was *a litte* confusing and because there is so much going on. It took me a little while to figure things out. But by the end, I couldn't wait to read the second book! There are some great messages all over this story and of course, great characters. Can't wait to read more!
Sue
First book I've read by Isobell and I enjoyed it. The story line is very imaginative. People getting sucked through a portal from one world to the next is a common enough theme but she takes it up a few notches. I didnt mind the internal politics that bothered some people as I imagine if someone landed in our planet the wars/conflicts/different cultures woulkd be even more confusing.lots of characters and advetures, mysteries and the ole good versus evil.
Amy Ma
It took a while for me to get into Darkfall, but when I did, I couldn't put it down. Carmody created a wondrously intriguing and exotic world that you just wanted to know more about and explore deeper within. Only thing I didn't like was the ending. It felt unsatisfactory and too vague, like a trap into getting you to buy the sequel, which I now don't feel like buying. I would not want to read it all again to have another frustratingly empty ending.
Katerina
AMAZING!! I loved it so much, i couldn't put it down for 3 whole days! The plot is amazing, so complex! I love how everything connects, and the tensions waiting for the twins to find each other excruciating! You get so close, and then it slips away again. I cant wait to read the sequel!
Julie
I must be more impatient than I thought because, even though I respect the author immensely and ultimately enjoyed this story, I was very nearly defeated by the story's very involved politics.
Alex
I just reread Isobelle Carmody's sweeping story of Darkfall, wherein two sisters slip out of this world and into another one to find themselves involved in politics and religion, and a plot to overthrow the current rulers. Finely and deftly crafted, this is a complete world from one of Australia's masters.
Julia
I think this has overtaken Obernewtyn as my favourite Isobelle Carmody series. Too bad I've learnt the final one won't be published until after Obernewtyn is done. Looks like I'll be waiting another couple of decades.
Xanblank
I like half of this book. Why do authors insist on making chapters from different characters perspectives? The read head (can't remember her name) is unbelievably annoying, but the rest of the book is awesome.
Naomi Rainbird
Another good series.... but upon going to buy the last in the series found out other readers have been waiting eight years for it. Definitely worth reading but maybe wait for the new release or it's a bit disappointing.
Vohumanu
She's become a good author and so is very easy to read. However I'm finding this world much more confusing than the Obernewtyn Chronicles world. I can't (yet) understand why she's made the choices that she has.
Peta Tron
It's been maybe 15 years since I last read this book. It's an interesting story but at times the writing feels a bit lazy.
Georgia Power
I can't really describe how much I love this book, and the series. I've been waiting so long for carmody to continue it. Amazing story, characters and writing. Doesn't disappoint!
Kelly
parallel universe lovely-ness another Carmody classic with rich main characters. So easy to be swept away in, a great escape.

Another series I wish she would finish.
Maz
I think this is third time I've read this book and I never get tired of it. One of my all - time, absolute faves... can't wait for Part 3 to come out.
Bsainsbury
A very good read. Took me awhile to get past the corny names, but a good story none-the-less. Looking forward to the second book.
  • The Lady of the Sorrows (The Bitterbynde, #2)
  • The Tower of Ravens (Rhiannon's Ride, #1)
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • The Aware (The Isles of Glory, #1)
  • The Battle for Rondo (Rondo, #3)
  • A Shadow on the Glass (The View from the Mirror, #1)
  • How I Found the Perfect Dress (Morgan Rawlinson, #2)
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • Myrren's Gift (The Quickening, #1)
Isobelle Carmody began the first novel of her highly acclaimed Obernewtyn Chronicles while she was still in high school. The series has established her at the forefront of fantasy writing in Australia.

In addition to her young-adult novels, such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle's published works include several middle-grade fantasies. Her still-unfinished Gateway Trilogy...more
More about Isobelle Carmody...
Obernewtyn (Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1) The Farseekers (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #2) Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3) The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4) The Stone Key (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #5)

“You are born with the yearning arrow, my Glynna, though you are not yet fully aware of it. It is not a happy thing to possess, for nothing on earth - no goal, no person how ever beloved - will answer it. It points to the sky and to the heavens and the stars and when it cannot reach them, it must fall back to pierce your heart.” 14 likes