Start by marking “What Life Was Like In the Age of Chivalry: Medieval Europe, AD 800-1500 (What Life Was Like)” as Want to Read:

Drawing on art, artifacts, and literature that was left behind, these richly illustrated volumes recount captivating tales of everyday life in long-ago vanished worlds.
Published May 24th 1999 by Time Life Medical (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about What Life Was Like In the Age of Chivalry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Life Was Like In the Age of Chivalry

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This could be a good source for readers of all ages. The images chosen include both obscure ones, and common ones that are reproduced at a better quality than is typically found elsewhere. Primary sources, such as surviving letters (both commonly known ones such as those of the Pastons, and more obscure ones), are used to create accessible depictions of the period.
Austen to Zafón
Not exactly all-encompassing, but I enjoyed this dip into the middle ages. The art is nice and I liked the stories of certain people in that age for whom we have actual documentation. In the course of my BA in English, I focused on this period, but it's been a while and it was nice to have a little refresher. Good bedtime read.
Sabine
Apr 21, 2008 Sabine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Sabine by: Library
I read this book for research on a story I am writing. It gave me a lot of good ideas and I liked the way it was formated. Easy to understand, and it told stories about each even rather than just facts so I found myself really getting into it.
Poppy Square
Apr 16, 2012 Poppy Square rated it really liked it
Shelves: zs-read-2012
This book was nicely done. The pictures were beautiful and the inserts were informative. I loved the photos of the cathedral architecture.
Scott
Sep 02, 2013 Scott rated it liked it
3.5 stars - this book has its faults but it has some excellent art and a few nice anecdotes.
Jamie
Dec 03, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I love these books and learn so much more than I did in the classroom!
Walt
Good primer.
Sarah Lowe
Sarah Lowe marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Sendahl
Sendahl is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2016
Jeremy Barber
Jeremy Barber marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Catherine Delong
Catherine Delong marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 07, 2016
Anderson
Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
GeGi
GeGi marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Evelyn Morgan
Evelyn Morgan rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Kari
Kari rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
C.A.
C.A. marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
A Great Book Study
A Great Book Study rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
The Baroness
The Baroness rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Jo
Jo added it
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • What Life Was Like Among Druids and High Kings: Celtic Ireland, AD 400-1200 (What Life Was Like)
  • The Medieval Reader
  • The Ties That Bound: Peasant Families in Medieval England
  • Heroes of the Dawn: Celtic Myth (Myth and Mankind)
  • The New Penguin Atlas of Medieval History
  • Uppity Women of the Renaissance
  • The Fall of Camelot (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Kings and Queens of England and Scotland
  • Women's Lives in Medieval Europe: A Sourcebook
  • The New Concise History of the Crusades (Critical Issues in World and International History)
  • Arms & Armor
  • St. Francis of Assisi: A Biography
  • The Plantagenet Chronicles
  • 1000 Events That Shaped the World
  • Knights
  • The Oxford History of Medieval Europe
  • Knight
  • The Penguin Historical Atlas of Ancient Rome

What Life Was Like (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • What Life Was Like on the Banks of the Nile: Egypt, 3050-30 BC
  • What Life Was Like at the Dawn of Democracy: Classical Athens, 525-322 BC (What Life Was Like)
  • What Life Was Like Amid Splendor and Intrigue: Byzantine Empire, AD 330-1453
  • What Life Was Like When Rome Ruled the World: The Roman Empire, 100 BC - AD 200 (What Life Was Like)
  • What Life Was Like in the Lands of the Prophet: Islamic World, AD 570-1405 (What Life Was Like)
  • What Life Was Like When Longships Sailed: Vikings, AD 800-1100 (What Life Was Like)
  • What Life Was Like Among Samurai and Shoguns: Japan, AD 1000-1700 (What Life Was Like)
  • What Life Was Like at the Rebirth of Genius: Renaissance Italy, AD 1400-1550 (What Life Was Like)
  • What Life Was Like in Europe's Golden Age: Northern Europe, AD 1500-1675 (What Life Was Like)