Start by marking “The Titled Americans: Three American Sisters and the British Aristocratic World Into Which They Married” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The Titled Americans is a family saga spanning three generations, chronicling the glamorous lives of Leonard Jerome, his daughters, and their children. Raven-haired Jennie ("the beautiful') married Randolph Churchill, younger son of the Duke of Marlborough and was Winston's mother. Dreamy, blonde Clara ("the good") was romanced by the dashing Moreton Frewen, a penniless yo ...more
Published November 18th 2004 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Titled Americans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Titled Americans

Cheryl Gatling
As the book says, "Leonard Jerome was born in 1818 on a farm at Pompey Hill, near Syracuse in Western New York State." That farm is around the corner from the house where I grew up. Many times I rode my bike past "the Jerome house" on "Jerome Road." Because of that, I like to think of all the Jeromes as local kids who "done good." That is really stretching the connection, though, because once Leonard left the farm, he never looked back. He went to New York City and made a few million in the stoc ...more
Courtney
A very interesting read--part of a cache of books I picked up to prepare myself for when I finally cave to pressure and start watching Downton Abbey. I found the "family biography" format a little strained by the dominating presence of Jennie Churchill, whose social success and distinguished son Winston pull the focus of the narrative in her direction. Indeed, the sister I most enjoyed reading about was Leonie, the youngest, to whom the author gives short shrift until the end of the book. Of the ...more
Jodi
Meh. This is obviously well researched and I do admit that finding out that Winston Churchills father (SPOILER) died from syphillis related disease and his mom (SPOILER) was a little bit of a slut was pretty interesting. But this book spent a lot of time with the details of what each of these ladies was bringing in each year from their family inheritances and then how they blew the cash with lavish life styles. There was not a lot to admire or find interesting about these women. I've read biogra ...more
Bruce
Three Jerome sisters each married titled Englishmen as their mother wished, though not necessarily the specific 'gentlemen' she would have liked. While their mother wanted them to marry first born sons, they married for 'love.' One of the sisters, Jennie, married Randolph Churchill and bore a son who was to make somewhat of a name for himself, Winston Churchill. Winston was the favorite of all the cousins.
Each of the sisters had been raised in high society and continued to keep up appearances t
Anne
I thought this was going to be yet another book about Jennie Jerome, but I was wrong. It is a Jerome Family memoir. Mother, Father, sisters, husbands, grandchildren, in-laws are here in great detail. I am three quarters done and I am loving every word.
Sylvia Tedesco
I love biographies and ate this up, but some of the personal letters and historical material got a little tedious and shamefully I skipped through some of them.
Shannon Miller
It might be deserving of a better rating, but it reads more like a text book and I really don't find it interesting.
Deyna
This book gives a decidedly unromanticized picture of the "American heiress marries British aristocrat" trend of the late 1800s. The three Jerome sisters lived the privileged life of the wealthy until their marriages, but each of them lived in financially stretched circumstances for the rest of their lives. None of the sisters, nor their husbands, come off as particularly likable in the narrative - contributing so much to their own hardships that they could well be referred to as the "entitled" ...more
Mary
I stumbled on this book in the library and thought I'd take it home for a test drive - maybe just look at the pictures. I was quickly hooked and enjoyed it very much. This is a great read for those who like the Gilded Age, dallying princes and wretched excess in all its forms. But in the end, this is a very sad story. The sisters were trained for a profession [wife of rich titled gentleman], but ended up marrying for love and doing without money, a situation for which they were ill-prepared.
Ana

The interesting part of this book was the fact that these basically were the very first gold digging minded woman, who loved to leave well above their means, in a totally false lifestyle.. ALL THREE WERE BROKE!

Nothing has changed, has it? Except that thereafter, the Brits got smarter and married woman of wealth, or had their parents arrange it to achieve title. As a whole, the ladies were without much soul, and their children were the ones that suffered.
Michelle Szetela
I could not maintain interest in this book, which I gave up reading after fewer than 50 pages. Interesting, to be sure, for a certain type of person, I could not stand the minutiae of the money, which was seemingly mentioned several times a paragraph. I understand that this was a key element in these marriages, but I was more interested in the related broader social issue.
Christina Jackson
For reasons I cannot explain, I love multi-generational family biographies. Much if the information was new to me, most notably that Churchill's mother was American. I am also predisposed to liking turn of the century tales and most things British. Take my review for what it is worth.
Tori

Great historical research and fact checking. Although not an uplifting read by any stretch of the imagination. Revealing information on the upbringing on PMChurchill. Amazing the struggles faced by women emerging from the Victorian era are shown throughout the book.
Amy
Yes, another of my "boring" nonfiction books! Actually, I'm enjoying this one immensely. It's about Winston Churchill's mother and her sisters. Very absorbing--though the constant partying and entertaining can get a little tedious!
Nancy Yob
The story was very interesting. It almost seemed like it could be a work of fiction. I think I was most surprised by the fact that they had to borrow money so often and were living beyond their means so much.
This is a typical library book for me. I thought it was engaging and worthwhile to read, but I would have never purchased this book. I especially liked the stories of three lives on the backdrop of historical events.
KMW
Very informative read...but was hard to get through. It dallied off into long descriptions of other parts of history that did not have to do with the Jerome sisters.
Dee
A biography of Jennie Churchill and her sisters. I enjoyed it very much.
I couldn't get past the first chapter. It reads like a college essay.
Irene
Excellent read.Lots of detail but NOT boring. So far so Good!
Shawn Thrasher
A bit weak, but still interesting
Jul 24, 2007 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mary
Mary added it
Dec 19, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Charlotte Gates
Charlotte Gates marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Quirkyreader
Quirkyreader marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
  • Five Sisters: The Langhornes of Virginia
  • Consuelo and Alva Vanderbilt: The Story of a Daughter and a Mother in the Gilded Age
  • Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece
  • Court Lady and Country Wife: Two Noble Sisters in Seventeenth-Century England
  • A Circle of Sisters: Alice Kipling, Georgiana Burne-Jones, Agnes Poynter and Louisa Baldwin
  • Sisters of Fortune: America’s Caton Sisters at Home and Abroad