Start by marking “Fantasy Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:
Fantasy Encyclopedia

Fantasy Encyclopedia

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  341 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
With a foreword by the award-winning fantasy author Jonathan Stroud, and illustration by some of the world's best illustrators including John Howe, the Fantasy Encyclopedia is a spectacular one-stop guide to the creatures and people of folklore and fantasy. From goblins and fairies to dragons and Dracula, this encyclopedia covers them all with sparkling, readable text and ...more
Published 2005 by Kingfisher Publications

To ask other readers questions about Fantasy Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantasy Encyclopedia

Greg Strandberg
Jan 20, 2015 Greg Strandberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, dungeons and dragons fans
Shelves: fantasy
I read most of this book at the library. It's one of those coffee-table-style books, so you don't really have to read all of it to read captions and images and all the rest of it.

Great information on various creatures like dragons, harpies, trolls, sprites, elementals and other things. It's also got really good stuff on Greek influences, so you get things like the Furies and Scylla and Carybdis, which I'm sure I just spelled wrong.

Anyways, good read, well worth looking at if you're at the librar
Heather
This is another book that I picked up for my collection of fantasy reference books for my writing. It's not a bad overview of the monsters and faeries from various mythologies. It also has some historical information and modern references for further reading.

The artwork is lovely and there are credits for the art at the end, so that will be helpful, if I'd like to check out more of some of a specific artist's work. As I said, it's an overview and easy to read. The index at the back will also be
Sally
Apr 18, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, for-kids
I read this right after the Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were and didn't like this one so much. Then I began to appreciate that it's written for kids, and so the layout is larger, the pace slower, the illustrations more kid-ish. And then I got to pondering on how un-child-friendly much of mythology is: incest, unfaithfulness, war, killing.... And I realized that I like this one much better.

If I need to brush up on a few details of a certain mythology to better understand a literary referen
David Christian
Sep 18, 2013 David Christian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fan of monster fashion shows
This evening’s book is Fantasy Encyclopedia by Judy Allen. To be honest, this book took me a while to get into, despite being a fantasy junkie. The illustrations are gorgeous and on opening to the table of contents, you might think this book is a rare find. However, most of the mythical beast’s descriptions are superficial at best and contain no real information for the reader to digest. The entire book is written like it were some type of announcement for the next participant in a horrible mons ...more
Gabriella Slade
Dec 07, 2015 Gabriella Slade rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Halloween people!
Recommended to Gabriella by: Goodreads
Shelves: dragons
OK, this book is not like the cover at all. I got it because I thought it was like a Narnia type book with faries and elves. Only 1/3rd of the book is this. The rest of the book is demons, vampires and zombies. If you are a Halloween person, this will be good for you. Others, avoid it. This proves: Don't judge THIS book by it's COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Veracity
May 22, 2016 Veracity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice resource for fantasy enthusiasts.
Sead
dfhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhthjtjt
Rose
Feb 11, 2016 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One Of the best Fantasy books I have ever read!
Bree
This is one of my favorite books on fantastical creatures. It has some lovely illustrations and tales of creatures from unicorns to goblins to poltergeists. It has folklore from all over the world and even had a few things I didn't know about. It also lists movies and books that feature said creatures, which is great.

I reccomend it especially for kids. Its informative and a little spooky, and a great source for all things strange.
Rebecca
Nov 20, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful magical reference book-- I was hooked as soon at Herne the Hunter got his own section. This is the book I would have been obsessed with as a teenage. As it is, I'm reading it cover to cover and enjoying the lush illustrations: chinese dragon carvings, egyption scarob amulets, chubby greek muses, and plenty of creepy monsters and enticing sirens and wizards.
Brigid
Oct 04, 2008 Brigid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much. It has beautiful illustrations and is very interesting it seriously feels like you're just reading any old text book its so informative. But you're not you're reading a book on sprites and mermaids and nymphs. I own it and every once and a while I will pick it up and spend the afternoon reading it all over again.
brian tanabe
While I took offense at the inclusion of chapters on Sasquatch and the Loch Ness Monster in this decidedly "fantasy" volume, I was (and still am) quite excited at the several David Goode sculptures used to illustrate fantastical creatures. In the end though, this was generally speaking a let-down.
Natajia
Nov 17, 2011 Natajia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is just a short encyclopedia of all things fantasy. This went over a lot off different creatures/myths, but the explanations were only about 2 pages. There weren't really any stories behind them; just what they are or are believed to be.
But still a fun little read :D
Alex Ristea
Mar 21, 2012 Alex Ristea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic illustrations really make this reference books of legends from around the world stand out. All sorts of Fantasy elements are explained, and this is a great book to get a broad glimpse of the differences between them and their origins.
d.
ok za opshti uvid u fantastichni svet maste, ali uglavnom sve same opshtepoznate stvari.. ima dosta lepih ilustracija vilenjaka, ali i dosta prosechnih slika (kao iz dechijih chasopisa) ja bih to lepshe uredila svakako ;)
Gray
Aug 31, 2013 Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was awesome. Describes all the monsters even from the Odyssey. It has good illustrations. It has sections like beasts, mythical beings, spirits, little people.
Denae Christine
Though it doesn't have every single creature ever, it has most, and a brief description of each. This book helped me on a fantasy creatures quiz once.
Nancy
Mar 30, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good volume for young readers, with very nice illustrations, and references to books and movies where the fantasy creatures may be found.
Justin
Aug 24, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though far from comprehensive, this book gives young readers (and older ones like me) a thorough grounding in fantastical creatures, myths, etc.
Luz
Aug 19, 2012 Luz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My sister left this book at home so I was reading through it. It's pretty good for a kid's book
Janie
Dec 26, 2008 Janie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It mixed up a few descriptions, and it was not really all that I was expecting.
Lisa
May 06, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very beautiful artwork with lots of information and reading recommendations.
Donna Rochow - Poljarevic
Dec 19, 2010 Donna Rochow - Poljarevic rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone with an interest
Shelves: own
This is so easy to read, and it was fun to read
Jaclyn B.

i didnt finish it...:(
Sanja
Nov 23, 2015 Sanja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
odlicna knjiga
areadersjournee
Apr 05, 2013 areadersjournee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative
Maddy
Feb 15, 2012 Maddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were some
David Anuta
David Anuta marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • Abbey Lubbers, Banshees, & Boggarts: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Fairies
  • The Book of Goddesses
  • Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Worlds of Wonder: How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Destiny (Hungry Moon, #2)
  • Egyptology (Ologies, #2)
  • Monsters: An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings
  • The Werewolf in Lore and Legend
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • The Hard Facts of the Grimms' Fairy Tales
  • Tainted (Ava Delaney: Lost Souls #1)
Judy Allen is an award-winning author whose novel Awaiting Developments was short-listed for the Whitbread Children's Novel Award.

Judy Allen, along with illustrator Tudor Humphries, created Kingfisher's award-winning Backyard Books series and many other successful books, including the Reading Rainbow selections Tiger and Seal.
More about Judy Allen...

“Few humans see fairies or hear their music, but many find fairy rings of dark grass, scattered with toadstools, left by their dancing feet.” 15 likes